OT: - Exercise Headache | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Exercise Headache

Reaction Score
Update.

Pain and a lot of residual symptoms (fatigue, headaches, irritability, trouble focusing, light sensitivity, sight problems, anxiety, etc) are still present after five weeks.

After checking back w/ by GP on Friday, he was super surprised and sent me a prescription for PT, which started Monday. Had my second session Tuesday (pretty sore after that!) and learned something I never knew until then...

Neck sprains (mine happened to be whiplash caused by the compression of my neck from the exercise) have a lot of similar symptoms to post-concussion disorder.

While the last five weeks have been almost like a mystery for me (why the heck am I feeling so weird, actually starting CBT tomorrow) learning this from my physical therapist was super eye-opening.

Anyone else ever experience concussion-like symptoms from neck sprains? Let me know here for via PM.
And this all came on right after doing a max incline dumbell press?

That's really strange, how exactly were you doing the exercise?

Your form must have been really jacked up and using too much weight. Lower the weight, retract your scapula and get yourself locked into the bench. Have feet firmly planted on the floor and keep your neck down on the bench.

Obviously wait until you're feeling better to get back to it. Hope you start feeling better.

Reaction Score
Right now in the parking lot of the gym. Was doing my normal Sunday workout when mid-rep (dumbbell bench press near my repping max) a rush of pain flowed to the back of my head, almost whiting me out.

After resting a bit, I tried another exercise that was lower impact, still felt that rush.

Had similar effects years ago in college (2005ish) when I probably had a concussion after hitting my head skateboarding and wasn’t able to workout for months without similar headaches.

No accidents lately that could have induced this.

My online quasi-rabbit hole predicts tension-headaches, which I first experienced while teaching from home during the pandemic when my posture was all weird.

Felt pretty scary in the moment, but from what I read sounds harmless.

Any leads?
Youre fine. No worries. Proceed.

Reaction Score
And this all came on right after doing a max incline dumbell press?

That's really strange, how exactly were you doing the exercise?

Your form must have been really jacked up and using too much weight. Lower the weight, retract your scapula and get yourself locked into the bench. Have feet firmly planted on the floor and keep your neck down on the bench.
Yes, immediately after the last rep of the last set of a regular dumbbell press (non-incline). Happened about five weeks ago. I’ve done lighter stuff since then, but my PT wants to take a break for now.

Each set increased in weight and less reps…I believe this set was for 8 reps. It was 70lbs each and I’m not a big guy (5’9 160ish).

Usually my form is good (at least I think it is) but I’m sure it was worse on these last reps. My regular doc guessed I was pressing through my head, which caused the whiplash/sprain

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc
Top Bottom