ex-Terps coach Randy Edsall created negative environment | The Boneyard

ex-Terps coach Randy Edsall created negative environment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Randy took over a 9-4 team and immediately proceeded to go 2-10. His high water mark with the Terps was 7 wins. Of course, he produced a negative environment.

But, IMHO, the worst thing Randy ever did was banning Lou Alllen Jr. from Senior Day. His dad, Lou Allen Sr. had played at UConn in the 1970s. The son followed him to Storrs in 2004-07. After a solid career at UConn, young Lou broke a rule and was suspended for the final game of his senior season. Instead of just suspending him for the game, Edsall embarrassed Lou Jr and his family by excluding them from the senior ceremonies. As usual, Randy showed no sense of proportion and no class.

Just as he showed no class making Jordan Todman stand in front of his classmates and tell them he was leaving at nearly the same moment he was cowardly sneaking out the back door onto a private jet and abandoning them. He informed his team he was leaving by text.

The negative plume around Edsall can be smelled in the next county.

Reaction Score
LMAO. A player got benched by Edsall for admittedly punching an opponent and that makes him mean. Surely someone has more interesting criticism than this? How about he just totally failed at his last two jobs?
Agreed. Edsall failed at Maryland and he epically failed at UCONN part 2. He inherited a horrendous locker room when he started at Maryland. Friedgen fostered that environment - and when a stern Coach like Edsall came in, it was a recipe for disaster.

Reaction Score
Edsall was hired to clean up the academic windfall from the previous regime. He did that and was immediately fired.

Reaction Score
Not attempting to play last year felt created a further negative environment I thought this way at the time too.

Reaction Score
Not attempting to play last year felt created a further negative environment I thought this way at the time too.
Easy move. Collect $1M running a football day camp for a year. Play with some weights, run some drills, hit some dummies, and watch film.

Reaction Score
I believe Edsall benched a guy and it is certainly feasible that the guy didn’t get much time again, but I absolutely don’t by the racist accusation. That to me sounds like a complete fabrication, or a re-interpretation of what actually happened. There are certain programs at any school used to be called guts. You show up you get a B. At UNC you didn’t even have to show up. I suspect it was some class like that and Edsall said I can’t believe you flunked that!

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I believe Edsall benched a guy and it is certainly feasible that the guy didn’t get much time again, but I absolutely don’t by the racist accusation. That to me sounds like a complete fabrication, or a re-interpretation of what actually happened. There are certain programs at any school used to be called guts. You show up you get a B. At UNC you didn’t even have to show up. I suspect it was some class like that and Edsall said I can’t believe you flunked that!

Edsall is many things but a racist, I would never think that of him.

Reaction Score
Just a reminder that Dan O was 100% behind bringing Edsall back. And Dan didn't get a call this time why?

Attachments

• 4C4426C7-E3AB-4AAA-A333-E53FC66DCD8E.jpeg
    4C4426C7-E3AB-4AAA-A333-E53FC66DCD8E.jpeg
    82.7 KB · Views: 138
Reaction Score
Edsall wasn’t able to reproduce the results he had in his first term as coach. I initially supported bringing him back to fix Diaco’s mess.
By most accounts he was never an easy guy to play for but he seemed more detached and aloof this time around, Seemed like the college game had changed but he hadn’t. Having to make the coaching change mid-season tells you something was very wrong this year.

Reaction Score
Edsall was hired to clean up the academic windfall from the previous regime. He did that and was immediately fired.
By all accounts Fridgen was fired because the program at Maryland was out of control. Edsall was hired to deal with that and he did. Imagine a guy who played under Ralph then encountering Edsall. Kinda like having lived with Santa and suddenly General Patton takes over. Everything but the racist thing rings true. That I don’t buy for a second.

Reaction Score
LMAO. A player got benched by Edsall for admittedly punching an opponent and that makes him mean. Surely someone has more interesting criticism than this? How about he just totally failed at his last two jobs?
Golly Gee Batman how dare you bring truth and logic into arguments about sports! Right, Edsal failed just like the Edsel car, Lots of promise but nothing when the tires hit the road.

Reaction Score
By all accounts Fridgen was fired because the program at Maryland was out of control. Edsall was hired to deal with that and he did. Imagine a guy who played under Ralph then encountering Edsall. Kinda like having lived with Santa and suddenly General Patton takes over. Everything but the racist thing rings true. That I don’t buy for a second.
It was a bad first year when the players realized Edsall would be bringing rules and expectations for behavior and academics. A mutiny, led by the “Star” qb (turns out be really wasn’t as good as he thought he was, fell flat on his face when he transferred) resulted in a ton of transfers.

Don’t have much sympathy for Coach Edsall because he had to know what he was walking into. But I take anything his former disgruntled MD players say with a grain of salt.

You can say whatever you want about him and I have said plenty. But he cares about his players and his program has turned out some first class people who are huge successes in their careers. And they respect him.

Reaction Score
It was a bad first year when the players realized Edsall would be bringing rules and expectations for behavior and academics. A mutiny, led by the “Star” qb (turns out be really wasn’t as good as he thought he was, fell flat on his face when he transferred) resulted in a ton of transfers.

Don’t have much sympathy for Coach Edsall because he had to know what he was walking into. But I take anything his former disgruntled MD players say with a grain of salt.

You can say whatever you want about him and I have said plenty. But he cares about his players and his program has turned out some first class people who are huge successes in their careers. And they respect him.
Completely agree. The timing of this article is so odd. I mean he was at Maryland more than five years ago. Who really gives a flying f about this now?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I went to the UConn game at MD his first year. The shuttle bus drivers were begging us to take Edsall back with us. He was a total fail. The first thing he did when he got there was insult the local HS coaches. I like Mora's plan better.

Reaction Score
Completely agree. The timing of this article is so odd. I mean he was at Maryland more than five years ago. Who really gives a flying f about this now?

It was triggered because someone posted a negative review of Edsall on a Glassdoor for coaches type site.

Reaction Score
I went to the UConn game at MD his first year. The shuttle bus drivers were begging us to take Edsall back with us. He was a total fail. The first thing he did when he got there was insult the local HS coaches. I like Mora's plan better.

Randy Edsall would rather lose than be proven wrong.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
old news. moving on, who cares?
ya get a stiff neck looking backwards. ask the perpetually butthurt ko haters. i bet that they walk around wearing neck braces.
the only thing each are guilty of is being a lousy coach at certain times.

Reaction Score
old news. moving on, who cares?
ya get a stiff neck looking backwards. ask the perpetually butthurt ko haters. i bet that they walk around wearing neck braces.
the only thing each are guilty of is being a lousy coach at certain times.
Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom