Evina | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Evina

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
First, it's Daniel, not David, Connally.

Second, love what Dan is doing but he literally graduated from UConn a few months ago. I suggest tapping the brakes on his interpretation of what Geno says or doesn't say.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Another Carnac the Magnificent preseason prediction.....................I think Evina will be just fine. She did not forget how to play this past season. She still has instincts and moves that did not fade or go away. Her on court judgement did not retard. Her timing might be off, but it will return.

Let's not forget she was and elite player rated number 2 in her HS class behind Megan Walker as a senior. Her play was exceptional the two seasons at Tennessee against P5 competition. She was working out with the team over the summer and fall before the NCAA denied her waiver petition.

She's been working out for the last two or so months since her release by team doctors and physical therapists, allowing her to compete in team drills and practice without restriction.

It's not like she sat out for a whole year without touching a basketball. It may take her a month before she gets her “game chops” back, but she will. She'll be ready when they "jump-ball" on November 28. I have no doubt that she will prove this prediction correct. :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Another Carnac the Magnificent preseason prediction.....................I think Evina will be just fine. She did not forget how to play this past season that she sat out because of the NCAA transfer rule, coupled with her recovery from the 2 knee surgeries she had. She has certain instincts and moves that did not fade or go away. Her on court judgement did not retard.

Let's not forget she was and elite player rated number 2 in her HS class behind Megan Walker as a senior. Her play was exceptional the two seasons at Tennessee against P5 competition. She was working out with the team over the summer and fall before the NCAA denied her waiver petition.

She's been working out for the last two or so months since her release by team doctors and physical therapists, allowing her to compete in team drills and practice without restriction. It's not like she sat out for a whole year without touching a basketball. She'll be ready when they "jump-ball" on November 28. I have no doubt that she will prove this prediction correct. :cool:

My guess is that the "rust" Geno referred to is really trust ... in her repaired knee. That's common coming off any knee surgery. I agree that she will be fine and her D1 experience will help all the freshmen.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Personal (non basketball) interview of Evina.

HL: What’s a day in the life of being you?

EW: A busy day would be: Wake up at about 7:40 a.m.. We have weights at 8:15 a.m., but we have to get there early, make sure we eat breakfast and get treatment done if we need treatment done before. Go to weights for about an hour at 8:15 a.m., then we have practice at 9:15 a.m., so then we’ll practice for about three and a half to four hours. Let’s say we’re done at about 12:30 p.m., when we’re done with practice we have post-practice where we have to get up shots, so that’ll be done at about 1:00 p.m. After you get treatment done and get in the hot tub, cold tub, then you’re done at about 1:30-1:45 p.m. Around 2:00 p.m. we have to get something to eat, and we have study hall for about 2 hours. So, if we go to study hall at about 2:00-2:30 p.m., we’ll be done at about 4:00-4:30 p.m. Then we go home. We have tutors, so let’s say I have a tutor from 5:00-6:00 p.m., once I’m done with my tutor I have to get dinner. Go get dinner and by the time I come back, do my homework. By then it’s about 8:00-9:00 p.m. and then, that’s it, just try to get some sleep for the next day.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Wow, you have to love the game to put up with the grind Evina describes. Very helpful to have teammates you really click with.

Reaction Score
Personal (non basketball) interview of Evina.

HL: What’s a day in the life of being you?

EW: A busy day would be: Wake up at about 7:40 a.m.. We have weights at 8:15 a.m., but we have to get there early, make sure we eat breakfast and get treatment done if we need treatment done before. Go to weights for about an hour at 8:15 a.m., then we have practice at 9:15 a.m., so then we’ll practice for about three and a half to four hours. Let’s say we’re done at about 12:30 p.m., when we’re done with practice we have post-practice where we have to get up shots, so that’ll be done at about 1:00 p.m. After you get treatment done and get in the hot tub, cold tub, then you’re done at about 1:30-1:45 p.m. Around 2:00 p.m. we have to get something to eat, and we have study hall for about 2 hours. So, if we go to study hall at about 2:00-2:30 p.m., we’ll be done at about 4:00-4:30 p.m. Then we go home. We have tutors, so let’s say I have a tutor from 5:00-6:00 p.m., once I’m done with my tutor I have to get dinner. Go get dinner and by the time I come back, do my homework. By then it’s about 8:00-9:00 p.m. and then, that’s it, just try to get some sleep for the next day.
These kids are barely students if that schedule is typical of their daily routine.

Reaction Score
It was just an observation. I'm left handed and I had problems using my right hand. But these players have had at least 10 years of camps, AAU, HS & never were trained to use the correct hand. I see a lot of layups get blocked because the ball is exposed. You are right about it not being an issue dur to her height but in the FF teams will be looking for it.
And it isn't her game that's boring, it's endless clips of her making baskets in several ways but after seeing each about 4 times I had enough. I liked some of her passes a lot. And she looks like she isn't afraid to rebound. I'm very happy she's playing.
I agree about the left hand. I noticed it also. It has to be corrected at this level because she will definitely need it at the next. This tape is now 2 seasons old so we don't know what her current status is with using the left hand. I can't imagine that she hasn't trained diligently after her surgeries on driving and finishing with it. You can tell by the passes that she has great court sense. She anticipates very well the movement of her teammates which is not an easy skill. She also has every other shot whether off the bounce, a stop and pull up or just as a spot shooter. She anticipates smartly on defense also. I can see her having an AA season. I completely agree with you about the deficiencies of modern coaching. What makes it even more acute is that Evina was either #1 or #2 in her class depending upon the service. She obviously is talented enough to do anything on the court but nobody addressed that? If you want to talk about what AAU or High School haven't taught their players it would be a very long conversation. It is even more obvious to me in the men's game. It is a shame because the talent level and athleticism is so great but the fundamentals are often so mediocre because they were never stressed and therefore never taught and I wonder if that is because the AAU or High School coaches were never taught them either. That is why you have to love the UCONN women. It is timeless fundamental basketball that works.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
These kids are barely students if that schedule is typical of their daily routine.

Practice hours are limited so this is clearly not everyday. Evina says a "busy" day. Still alot goes on.

Reaction Score
Evina does look right-hand dominant, but I see a lot of good things: court vision, ability to deliver the ball, hesitation moves, anticipation, quickness, nice release, size, and athleticism. I'm looking forward to seeing her play in National Flag Blue.

I can't remember the last time I was this excited for a season to start.

I can see this team being a supreme pressing team. While I'm not a super fan of extreme pressing for 40 minutes I am a fan of pressing in 1st half and blowing team out - then slow the game down-- working on halfcourt offense.
But I also see that this team could be an amazing fastbreak team.
Can be an amazing 3pt shooting team.
Can be an amazing get to the basket team.
If Edwards is 6'3 and tough and plays like a starter - they are tallest team they've had in a long time. Equally can b e an amazing small team.
Can be an amazing passing team.
I'm not a fan of playing near 10 players in big games at all - but this team "I can see it."

There is so much different possibilities - some will come to fruition - others won't. Can't wait.

**With that said - Evina is extremely intriguing. I am interested to see if she can play 1-4 positions. I have no idea but I think she can be a non-conventional 4 - yet can be a pg. I just haven't seen enough. Along with big deal as of right now if she is right-centric. Many players are. If Manu Giniboli can become a great NBA player only going left then it's fine a college player is right centric. In addition UCONN runs motion offense. Being right centric should be absolutely fine in a motion offense. Especially if she is more than juts a pg. Which she will be.

Reaction Score
Wow, you have to love the game to put up with the grind Evina describes. Very helpful to have teammates you really click with.

It is not fun, us Baseball players at UConn didn't get the luxuries of flying very much either, we where on a bus for the majority of our trips. We were still in the Big East at the time, so it wasn't too bad, but I remember one year where after our Southern Swing to start the year we NEVER flew for the last 30 or so games. I can assure you, 14 hour bus trips home from South Bend are NOT fun after you get swept and get outscored 44-9 in a 3 games series! These kids put in an insane amount of time, I respect the heck out of them!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom