Evasive Vines | The Boneyard

Evasive Vines

Reaction Score
They're growing like crazy this year and it's the first time in our five years at our house that both of our neighbors' properties have evasive vines growing into our property latching onto our growth.

Most of it comes from our neighbor who shared the broad west side of our property. He owns the house, but lives elsewhere, renting it out to his sister and daughter. Aside from mowing his lawn and blowing away leaves at the end of autumn, he does no outdoor maintenance, no tree trimming, etc. Here's an example of how his vines are ending up taking over our trees:

Screen Shot 2021-08-14 at 10.30.32 AM.jpg

The growth is now working its way towards our compost pile. In the pic below, all the green stuff ahead of the pile is on his property.

Screen Shot 2021-08-14 at 10.31.18 AM.jpg

Any recommendations on how to mediate or work with the neighbors to mediate? He's a nice guy and often apologies for how little he does for his property, but it's become a nuisance that we can't control unless we work on his side of the property.

Reaction Score
I have no recs, but Evasive Vines is a great band name.
What about Evasive Vibes? Each member of the band has a vibraphone in addition to their main instrument. Throughout the set, they tease the crowd as if they were about to play the vibraphone, but it never happens.

On edit, I meant invasive vines in my original post! Haha.

Last edited:

temery

What?
Reaction Score
What about Evasive Vibes? Each member of the band has a vibraphone in addition to their main instrument. Throughout the set, they tease the crowd as if they were about to play the vibraphone, but it never happens.

On edit, I meant invasive vines in my original post! Haha.

Likely bitter sweet vines. In 2011 my area was hit by a tornado. I had entire trees flying across my property. Those covered with bitter sweet vines snapped in 1/2, but the vines held them in place.

Reaction Score
Definitely looks like bittersweet. Though stuff, you really need to get the whole root out to kill it off. Moved into my house back in Feb and have been battling bittersweet, poison ivy, and Virginia creeper all spring and summer.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
How are the evasive? Do they move when you try to cut them back?

I think I'd just cut them close to ground level and then hit the remainder with Round Up. It may take a couple a years or so to completely eradicate them.

I'd just call the guy (if he isn't around) and ask if he's cool with you killing them off. I'm sure he is. My neighbor had a big ass poison ivy plant at the boarder. I asked if he was okay with me killing it off, and he just looked at me and said "No CL, I want to save that' sarcastically. I mean I knew the answer but I'm not doing stuff on his property without asking.

FWIW, if you want to go nuclear, use a solution of rock salt and water. That was my FIL's go to move, but it creates a wasteland where nothing grows.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Likely bitter sweet vines. In 2011 my area was hit by a tornado. I had entire trees flying across my property. Those covered with bitter sweet vines snapped in 1/2, but the vines held them in place.

I am pretty sure OP mean "invasive" vines @CL82 . And yes Oriental Bittersweet is one. My daughter learned about that in girl scouts, and I see them killing trees all over New England. The leaves can be pretty in fall, and some people aren't aware of the danger. Have to remove by the roots, and ideally burn them.

Oriental Bittersweet | National Invasive Species Information Center

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom