EURO Cup, Copa America, and Wold Cup Qualifiers | Page 6 | The Boneyard

EURO Cup, Copa America, and Wold Cup Qualifiers

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Agreed. Denmark concedes OG and PK and will likely lose. The game's been played in Denmark's half but England doesn't look very threatening. Italy should beat them

Thought England dominated much of the match and if not for some brilliant saves wins easily. Denmark put 4 balls on net. The bogus yellow on McGuire turned the tide towards Denmark briefly but after that they had nothing. The own goal would have been a goal anyway. It wasn’t a mistake of any kind. Look at the stats. England 2-1 Denmark: summary, score, goals, highlights, Euro 2020

Looking forward to a great match on Sunday. I think the most deserving teams are there.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
What a joke of a penalty. Sterling dives non stop and they go to VAR and still affirm it? Ridiculous.

Come on. He was hacked. And two other England players were fouled in the box with no call.

Reaction Score
Come on. He was hacked. And two other England players were fouled in the box with no call.
The other fouls have nothing to do with this. And if you think he was hacked you need to get your eyes checked. He got bumped, soccer is a contact sport. And Sterling’s history of diving comes into play.

Reaction Score
I'd love to see Connor Coady get a medal, but I find it so hard to root for a side with Maguire, Sterling and Grealish on it.

I thought the penalty was horrible call and to have VAR uphold it is worse.

Some England supporters are making the whole group look pretty bad. Booing their own players taking a knee against racism, booing the opponents' national anthems and putting a laser pointer on Scmeichel's face all have extremely bad optics.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
To me, I do not get the hype about Argentina winning the Copa America. There are only 10 countries in South America and the competition is usually a 12-team event. Only Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, and sometimes Colombia are serious contenders. Messi has played in 6 Copa Americas. Mathematically, it was almost easier for Argentina to win one than not over the course of his career.

This is not like the Euro where you have to qualify for the tournament and there are 7-8 legitimate contenders every time. Also, the Euro is played every four years while the Copa America is played more frequently.

Reaction Score
Copa is my favorite tournament to watch when there are fans. Complete thousery.
Happy for Messi finally getting his.

Was a strange Euros as England played 7/8 or whatever % it was of all games at Wembley. A bit unfair to the rest, but Ill still root for them to beat Italy

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Has been a good match. Early goal was a beauty. Italian goal just intense work and effort. Neither side giving up quality chances. Penalty kicks it is.

Reaction Score
Pickford was brilliant in the PK's, those three guys flat out choked for England. Forza Italia!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
No reason why Rashford and Sancho ice cold off the bench should be taking pens. Also Saka going 5th in his first major tournament as a 19 year old is very questionable. Southgate messed up there IMO.

Saka was questionable. The others were not. You have to put in a better effort from the spot. All three misses were terrible.

OTOH. Pickford made one good save and one great save.

Reaction Score
Saka was questionable. The others were not. You have to put in a better effort from the spot. All three misses were terrible.

OTOH. Pickford made one good save and one great save.
Most people agree that having a guy come off the bench cold and throw him into a shootout doesn’t bode well. I can say it from my experiences as a player as well. Rashford and Sancho barely had a kick of the ball in the game and were asked to bury the penalty against one of the better keepers in the world. Why not Grealish? Why not Hendo or Shaw or Phillips?

Reaction Score
I passed on taking a PK in my hs county championships when I was 18. The spot looks like 100 yards when it counts.

I cant imagine why Grealish or anyone else let Saka at 19 step up to the 5th ball. Shameful on Southgate. And on him for not putting his ballers out there with plenty of time left. Look at my earlier posts - this was the first England team that could content with Spain, France et al with Grealish, Foden, Rashford, Sancho and the coach never let them play together.

Reaction Score
No reason why Rashford and Sancho ice cold off the bench should be taking pens. Also Saka going 5th in his first major tournament as a 19 year old is very questionable. Southgate messed up there IMO.
I largely agree but you can't anticipate Rashford would choke like that, that was just a pathetic attempt and you should never take a PK that way. Having your 19 year old in position to take your final kick is really questionable and I just knew he wasn't going to make it. I felt badly for the kid. He had the deer in the headlights look, he at least struck it fairly well on target just telegraphed it too much.

I could see this coming from a mile away...

Saka, Rashford and Sancho racially abused on social media after England Euro 2020 defeat - The Athletic

Reaction Score
I passed on taking a PK in my hs county championships when I was 18. The spot looks like 100 yards when it counts.

I cant imagine why Grealish or anyone else let Saka at 19 step up to the 5th ball. Shameful on Southgate. And on him for not putting his ballers out there with plenty of time left. Look at my earlier posts - this was the first England team that could content with Spain, France et al with Grealish, Foden, Rashford, Sancho and the coach never let them play together.
I'm the opposite, I loved PK's. I was a striker and middle as a kid but by later in high school my offensive skills kind of left me or playing for a different high school other kids were just better than me offensively. I played sweeper but loved PK's, loved that moment to just hammer it home.

Reaction Score
I largely agree but you can't anticipate Rashford would choke like that, that was just a pathetic attempt and you should never take a PK that way. Having your 19 year old in position to take your final kick is really questionable and I just knew he wasn't going to make it. I felt badly for the kid. He had the deer in the headlights look, he at least struck it fairly well on target just telegraphed it too much.

I could see this coming from a mile away...

Saka, Rashford and Sancho racially abused on social media after England Euro 2020 defeat - The Athletic
Honestly I know it’s hypothetical but if Rashford’s pen was 6 inches to the right we’d be saying it was a brilliant take. Donnarumma barely had to move for Sancho’s and Saka’s. And normally I would be fine with Rashford at the soot and if he misses he misses but pulling him off the bench that he’d been sitting on for 120 mins and expecting him to bury it is a bit much IMO.

Reaction Score
Honestly I know it’s hypothetical but if Rashford’s pen was 6 inches to the right we’d be saying it was a brilliant take. Donnarumma barely had to move for Sancho’s and Saka’s. And normally I would be fine with Rashford at the soot and if he misses he misses but pulling him off the bench that he’d been sitting on for 120 mins and expecting him to bury it is a bit much IMO.
I hated Rashford's approach. Had no confidence in him when he stood there forever and then the walking up to the ball overthinking it stuff backfires so often. I don't even like the best players in the world taking that approach and they rarely do. There's just too much that can go wrong.

Reaction Score
MVP of the game...
Resized_E6DGeoeWUAAlMmv.jpeg

Reaction Score
I called Rashford and Sancho misses based on the runup. Not confidence inspiring. Southgate should have played them earlier - 2 of the few indidivuals who coukd have impacted the game

Reaction Score
Glad to see England and their classless fans go down, and what a disgrace they were in the Wimbledon finals that Novak won yesterday too.

Reaction Score
I was a little put off seeing Coady and many other English players taking off their silver medals. I was reading about it in a Wolves FB group and people justified stating Man City did it after losing Champions final and English Rugby team did it 2019. Didn't think it was a good look no matter who did it first. I don't recall this happening in other countries.

Reaction Score
To me, I do not get the hype about Argentina winning the Copa America. There are only 10 countries in South America and the competition is usually a 12-team event. Only Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, and sometimes Colombia are serious contenders. Messi has played in 6 Copa Americas. Mathematically, it was almost easier for Argentina to win one than not over the course of his career.

This is not like the Euro where you have to qualify for the tournament and there are 7-8 legitimate contenders every time. Also, the Euro is played every four years while the Copa America is played more frequently.
What you say is true but the fact is Argentina/Messi never won that or any major tourney and the great player is approaching the end of his career. His failures with Argentina have been a huge story in the past which makes this success a great story.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I was happy for Messi, he won in the nick of time. He could have iced the game late but botched it horribly. He looked old, perhaps it's Inter Miami time for him. After a final season farewell tour in Europe.

Reaction Score
Terrible management decision by Southgate. He’s done a good job up until that point.

For England it isn’t suprising. They always bollocks it up somehow.

Reaction Score
Terrible management decision by Southgate. He’s done a good job up until that point.

For England it isn’t suprising. They always bollocks it up somehow.
I think people are giving Southgate far too much credit. England had an easy draw, played most of its games in Wembley, and traveled less than any other team. This was theirs to lose. And they lost. Italy was clearly the better team. If I am England, I move on from Southgate now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom