ESPN wnba mock draft | The Boneyard

ESPN wnba mock draft

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

interesting movement, Dorka no longer listed a 1st rder, Leticia Ahmere of SC is.
Big drop by Haley Jones who was considered a consensus top 3 pick as of a couple of weeks ago. Glad to see Berger on the board after being consistently overlooked for a while. I think she has the skills to be a solid pro.

Soares at 4 is a surprise. I don't think she'd able to play this year after the ACL tear, and she needs a lot of development IMO. Beal at 7 is also a surprise to me. She has a pro body and is a solid athlete but she's shown very little offensively to warrant being 1 spot behind Haley Jones IMO. In the pros you have to be able to produce or produce for others, or you'll be a liability, and I think it'd be a pretty big gamble to pick someone with a career average of 6.1 ppg/1.5 apg.

Juhasz has a case for 1st round. Amihere as well. Juhasz is a more polished player, but Amihere is a ridiculously good athlete and has a higher ceiling. Comes down to if you want someone who can fill a role immediately vs gambling on a better athlete.

Overall a lot of solid collegiate players on there, but I think there's potentially a major drop off after the top 2. IMO Miller/Boston are the only players who seem like surefire picks.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Minnesota needs a post. I don’t see them drafting two guards. They could trade down a couple of spots and get Kitley.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Few names on that list I expect to take the covid year.

Reaction Score
The success of Connecticut alumnae in the WNBA, even non megastars like Ashley Battle and Tiffany Hayes, should make Juhasz and Lopez-Senechal higher picks.

Reaction Score
I know that she didn’t have the best season by her standards, but I still think Haley Jones would thrive under Cheryl Reeve in Minnesota. For that reason I still think there’s a decent chance she goes #2.

Reaction Score
Few names on that list I expect to take the covid year.
Honestly from that list, Kitley is the only one I can see taking an extra year. I don’t think she should necessarily but she’s very close with her family

Reaction Score
Final thought, Celeste Taylor should absolutely be on this list over several players.

Reaction Score
Honestly from that list, Kitley is the only one I can see taking an extra year. I don’t think she should necessarily but she’s very close with her family
Isn't this Kitleys covid year already?

Reaction Score
As South Carolina blows out UCLA for an Elite Eight spot, no surprise that they provide three of the twelve first round picks for the WNBA. And that doesn't count 6'7" post phenom Cardoso. And others.

There's a reason that they are winning with such ease.

Reaction Score
As South Carolina blows out UCLA for an Elite Eight spot, no surprise that they provide three of the twelve first round picks for the WNBA. And that doesn't count 6'7" post phenom Cardoso. And others.

There's a reason that they are winning with such ease.
Hmm I hadn’t thought that Cardoso would leave early but there’s definitely a chance of that for sure

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
The Dallas Wings traded for Diamond DeShields to play wing. And they have Satou Sabally at the forward position.
So, while Greg Bibb does tend to keep stacking players at positions, I don't know if bringing Lou aboard is going to do much good, for either her or the Wings. That said, there's a new coach there and she might look at things differently.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
they just announced that Rickea Jackson of Tenn plans to forgo the draft, and come back next year. She wants to hone her skills and be more prepared for the WNBA. I will not be surprised if more seniors also chose this option.

Reaction Score
Big drop by Haley Jones who was considered a consensus top 3 pick as of a couple of weeks ago. Glad to see Berger on the board after being consistently overlooked for a while. I think she has the skills to be a solid pro.

Soares at 4 is a surprise. I don't think she'd able to play this year after the ACL tear, and she needs a lot of development IMO. Beal at 7 is also a surprise to me. She has a pro body and is a solid athlete but she's shown very little offensively to warrant being 1 spot behind Haley Jones IMO. In the pros you have to be able to produce or produce for others, or you'll be a liability, and I think it'd be a pretty big gamble to pick someone with a career average of 6.1 ppg/1.5 apg.

Juhasz has a case for 1st round. Amihere as well. Juhasz is a more polished player, but Amihere is a ridiculously good athlete and has a higher ceiling. Comes down to if you want someone who can fill a role immediately vs gambling on a better athlete.

Overall a lot of solid collegiate players on there, but I think there's potentially a major drop off after the top 2. IMO Miller/Boston are the only players who seem like surefire picks.
I agree re Soares. Hard to believe anyone will spend a #4 on a relatively unproven post that is recovering from an ACL. Personally, I think Haley Jones is wayyy overrated and am dubious as to her chances in the W. She is not a good shooter in the first place and has regressed substantially this season. As for Beal, she imo is simply a less skilled, more athletic version of Jones. I think Kitley should go before both of those two.actually, I’d like to see Kitley come to UConn for a grad/Covid year first!:D

Reaction Score
Interesting take. Something like that would never have happened before NIL money, but now, I could see it.
Why not? They had every pick last year too. Boston will make any team she goes to a contender. She had the perfect body type for the pros and maybe she wants to be part of building something. In my opinion she is the best player to come out since Stewie.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

interesting movement, Dorka no longer listed a 1st rder, Leticia Ahmere of SC is.
Has a player that doesn't start for their college team ever been drafted in the 1st round? Granted, Amihere's game will be a better fit without teams clogging the lane like they do in college.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
they just announced that Rickea Jackson of Tenn plans to forgo the draft, and come back next year. She wants to hone her skills and be more prepared for the WNBA. I will not be surprised if more seniors also chose this option.
With NIL money and paltry WNBA salaries, college is a better option for many.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
Yet, Indiana will probably have the first pick next year too
I don't follow the WNBA but don't they use a lottery system to determine the top picks? If so, what are the odds of getting back to back Number 1 picks? (Rhetorical question.)

Also, there is no reason to believe that Boston would be the 1st pick next season if Paige, Caitlin and probably others declare for the draft.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Boston will take the Covid year is my guess. I can’t imagine wanting to play for the Fever.
All she has to do is force a trade. And if Indiana does not trade, then she can sit out for as long as it takes. $70K is not a big salary for rookies when they can make up to 10x that amount overseas.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom