ESPN segment on Paige’s injury and NIL | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ESPN segment on Paige’s injury and NIL

Reaction Score
It is a real fear. Let's recall that Caroline Doty never claim close to regaining her form after her ACL tear against Syracuse. Shea Ralph's career ended in the NCAA's with her- what?- second or third ACL tear? Way back when, Nicole Wolf was barely a shadow of her freshman self who was an early starter. She suffered two injuries, including a broken bone in her foot, and never got back off the bench. Evina Westbrook was hobbled by her knee injury her entire time with Connecticut, playing well, but in limited minutes.

There are just too many examples of great players who didn't come back from serious injury.

Of course, I'm rooting for Paige all the way. But she's now suffered the third serious injury and undergone her third serious surgery. Hoping for the best, but preparing for bad news.
agreed, I think the worst thing for her is she never gets told no or never stops. Comment that rubbed me the wrong way was when Geno said he didn't want to take Paige out vs Notre Dame because he annoys her to be in games. As a hc it's your job to control the players from themselves. I'm sure every player would play 49 minutes if it was up to them, but that's why Geno gets paid to make those tough decisions. This time around hopefully Geno is more strict and direct when she needs to sit even if she is pouting.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'm hopeful that Paige will recover as well as Sue Bird and Gabby Williams have.
Like most UConn fans, I was really looking forward to the upcoming season. I wanted to see the 1-2 punch of Paige and Azzi. I pray no one else goes down. Understanding that the other top 10 programs have improved their rosters via recruiting and the portal, this season will be more

All the usual suspects will return for 2022-2023 as formidable as ever. Stanfod, Texas, Iowa, South Carolina, Louisville, Baylor, Maryland, NC State, and newcomer LSU will again be vying for an invitation to the final four at the American Airlines Center in Dallas Texas.

As usual, the road to the final four will be challenging. One or two loss programs capable of getting there won’t make it. No one outside of UConn Nation (especially those on UConn’s schedule) will feel sorry for the Huskies this year because they lost their best player for the season. If anything they may see it as UConn falling further back to the pack and now being a little less formidable.

I could use some good news right now because I’m not nearly as optimistic about the coming season as I was a couple of weeks ago. Still too many unknowns about our team. Having potential is great. Playing up to and exceeding it is something else. To each and every player on this team, if you are ever going to step up for your coach and your teammates, NOW is the time!!

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Oldude, as always, I appreciate your post, but I want to stand up for Fairfield Fan. I don't think that Fairfield Fan's comments are "doom & gloom." They are just stating the obvious. There is a range of outcomes from this type of injury, despite improvements in care, and some people on the BY, not just Fairfield Fan, are concerned about that. Fairfield Fan, who is rooting for Paige, is voicing that concern. Nothing wrong with that.

As for me, faced with the uncertainty of her future, I remain optimistic. I believe in the powers of Paige.
I absolutely agree with your comment that “there is a range of outcomes from this type of injury.” That sentiment was not something remotely suggested in the post I responded to. Hence my suggestion that doom & gloom serves no useful purpose.

There are a significant number of athletes who have successfully recovered from ACL tears. Let’s offer them up as examples of Paige’s potential recovery rather than listing those who could not make it all the way back.

I mentioned Sue Bird. Here’s a partial list of additional top athletes who have successfully recovered from ACL surgery: Tom Brady, JJ Watt, Rob Gronkowski, Adrian Peterson, Teddy Bridgewater, Kendrick Perkins, Kyle Lowry, Megan Rapinoe, Alex Morgan, Skylar Diggins, Candace Parker, Gabby Williams and Seimone Agustus. There are hundreds of additional athletes with similar experiences.

A special note on Megan Rapinoe. She suffered 3 ACL tears, the last of which occurred in 2015 at the age of 30. Despite her age Rapinoe fully recovered to become the star of USA’s World Cup Championship team that won the gold medal in 2019 as well as the Olympic team that won the bronze in 2020.

Right now I don’t want to hear about all the athletes that didn’t make it back from surgery. When Paige decides she’s done, then I’ll accept it as a fact. Until that happens I will continue to be optimistic that she will return to play basketball, better than ever.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

A reminder that Paige’s injury is a loss not only for UConn but for basketball generally.

Paige is such a bright spot that this news is truly hard to hear as a basketball fan and especially as a Huskies fan.

The TV clip is "TV" for ratings and controversy but raises relevant questions about NIL and injury recovery - not ones I have the answer to.

However I am quite concerned about our other players coming back from injury/surgery - especially with a short squad. I do think this conversation is fair and, at this juncture, unknown. I may not be up-to-date but Doka, Caroline, Aubrey at least. Godspeed them all, but this is unknown stuff and fair to question. I too am wishful, but wishing is not reality.

My other worry is the short squad and what - if any - options we have for additional bodies. I understand walk-ons are possible but starter quality walk-ons are rare at this level. In the past Geno has gone overseas for help, I don't know the rules if that is even an option at this late date.

So I don't wish to be labeled a negative nanny, but I think we have concerns fair to discuss.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom