ESPN faces $793mm ad revenue loss from no college football season | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ESPN faces $793mm ad revenue loss from no college football season

Reaction Score
ESPN is a perfect example of get woke go broke. They push politics so hard that they have turned off a large portion of their audience. This is easily documented by both their ratings and their subscription numbers.

For the majority of viewers sports are an escape from reality for a few hours. An enjoyable diversion that average people are willing to pay good money to partake in. Forcing race and gender politics down people’s throats is a major turn off for many, myself included.

I currently watch ESPN for CFB Games, NFL Games featuring my team, and the rare sporting events like The NCAA Wrestling, Lacrosse, or Hockey Tournaments which they broadcast. Not a fan of basketball, especially The NBA, so they have no appeal for me there.

As for their talking head shows, you couldn’t pay me to watch. I’m not alone in this sentiment either as the ratings on these programs are absolutely abysmal. ESPN is going down the same path that MTV went down decades earlier. They stopped being a music channel and started being a lifestyle channel. The only problem is it appealed to no one.

I get literally every channel that Comcast offers in my market and I honestly have no idea if MTV is one of them. Last I remember MTV showed movies and repeats of years old reality tv shows that they produced. I’m not sure if music is even discussed on music television anymore. At least it wasn’t last I remember it.

If not for the brand value of The NFL, CFB, and The NBA, ESPN would probably play movie reruns and shows with Steven A Smith yelling at some other wind bag about Colin Kapernick or BLM for 24 hours a day. Actual sports save them from themselves. The pandemic has given us a glimpse of what ESPN thinks is good programming when sports aren’t available. Scary stuff when left to their own devices.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You have a great point. But, let’s not be so charitable to ESPN who took state money to stick around and also stuck it to UConn. The reason these companies bolted is CT’s systemic over taxation and regulation and high cost of business.
It's not great point, I think the Whalers left thanks to Robert Kraft. GE, UTC and Aetna left because of the highest corporate tax rate in the nation. Dan Malloy destroyed Connecticut's corporate landscape just like he did as mayor of Stamford.

Reaction Score
I would love to hear how the Whalers left the state because of Robert Kraft.

Reaction Score
It's not great point, I think the Whalers left thanks to Robert Kraft. GE, UTC and Aetna left because of the highest corporate tax rate in the nation. Dan Malloy destroyed Connecticut's corporate landscape just like he did as mayor of Stamford.
In fairness, the entire highway system in the US and other infrastructure projects was built on a corporate tax rate of 90%. The corporate tax rate in CT isn’t the issue, it’s other states that mostly receive more federal tax payer dollars than they pay, that offer these tax incentives because they think a low tax rate helps the economy. But I mean having the highest rates of its population on government assistance is so much better than having corporations pay their fair share of taxes right?

Reaction Score
The Whalers left because of Gary Bettmen and his desire to not have a team between Boston and New York. He wanted to spread teams through the US, therefore, the move to Carolina. He gained nothing in attendance or TV exposure, but did add a team in a non traditional market. With regard to the corporate tax system, companies pay taxes no matter the rate, what they add is employment and added taxes from employees, also helps remove people from assistance roles decreasing the needed aid. It makes good sense to maintain a good corporate rate (competitive) to help build your business base and increase employment. Government aid has only one benefit which is helping those who are unable to provide for themselves. Everyone else is a blood sucker.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I currently watch ESPN for CFB Games, NFL Games featuring my team, and the rare sporting events like The NCAA Wrestling, Lacrosse, or Hockey Tournaments which they broadcast. Not a fan of basketball, especially The NBA, so they have no appeal for me there.

woof woof woof woof woof woof

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score

No company has more money tied into the fate of this upcoming college footballseason than the Walt Disney Co.

The dominant corporate force in college sports, Disney’s ESPN co-owns two conference networks, has broadcast deals with nearly all of college football’s top division, and televises every major bowl. It also owns—literally—a large chunk of the smaller postseason games, and controls commercial rights like sponsorships and naming rights to the biggest.

Last year ESPN’s family of networks televised 282 games and sold $792.5 million in ads, according to Standard Media Index. To put that in perspective, ESPN’s NFL package only generated $314.8 million. Those numbers don’t include the college games televised by ESPN’s ACC Network and SEC Network, nor the plethora of other matchups streamed on ESPN+, its digital service, which costs $5 per month and is popular among football fans.
Death of the Antichrist?

Reaction Score
Connecticut didn't run out GE. They left on their own accord and it's been an embarrassment.
Depends. SHU is turning the part of the corporate campus into a D1 hockey rink!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom