ESPN faces $793mm ad revenue loss from no college football season | The Boneyard

ESPN faces $793mm ad revenue loss from no college football season

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score

No company has more money tied into the fate of this upcoming college footballseason than the Walt Disney Co.

The dominant corporate force in college sports, Disney’s ESPN co-owns two conference networks, has broadcast deals with nearly all of college football’s top division, and televises every major bowl. It also owns—literally—a large chunk of the smaller postseason games, and controls commercial rights like sponsorships and naming rights to the biggest.

Last year ESPN’s family of networks televised 282 games and sold $792.5 million in ads, according to Standard Media Index. To put that in perspective, ESPN’s NFL package only generated $314.8 million. Those numbers don’t include the college games televised by ESPN’s ACC Network and SEC Network, nor the plethora of other matchups streamed on ESPN+, its digital service, which costs $5 per month and is popular among football fans.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

No company has more money tied into the fate of this upcoming college footballseason than the Walt Disney Co.

The dominant corporate force in college sports, Disney’s ESPN co-owns two conference networks, has broadcast deals with nearly all of college football’s top division, and televises every major bowl. It also owns—literally—a large chunk of the smaller postseason games, and controls commercial rights like sponsorships and naming rights to the biggest.

Last year ESPN’s family of networks televised 282 games and sold $792.5 million in ads, according to Standard Media Index. To put that in perspective, ESPN’s NFL package only generated $314.8 million. Those numbers don’t include the college games televised by ESPN’s ACC Network and SEC Network, nor the plethora of other matchups streamed on ESPN+, its digital service, which costs $5 per month and is popular among football fans.
Sounds like Disney will be motivated to pay for daily COVid testing for FBS football.;)

130 schools
135 people (85 scholars + 50 coaches and WOs)
180 day season (Aug 1 to Feb 1 <--got a buffer of an extra three weeks here)
20 bucks per test (I know, laugh all you want at this figure, we are buying in bulk here)
grand total = $63,180,000

Now lets figure they decide to save the P5 where the real Ad revenue is along with a few select others to knock this figure down. Say the top 80 programs....

Could it happen? IDK

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
1595610788617.png

Reaction Score
This is great news. Screw ESPN.

Yeah, let's run ESPN out of Connecticut like the Whalers, GE, United Technologies, even Aetna was on the way out before CVS bought them. Let's get rid of 'em all.

Reaction Score
Yeah, let's run ESPN out of Connecticut like the Whalers, GE, United Technologies, even Aetna was on the way out before CVS bought them. Let's get rid of 'em all.
You have a great point. But, let’s not be so charitable to ESPN who took state money to stick around and also stuck it to UConn. The reason these companies bolted is CT’s systemic over taxation and regulation and high cost of business.

Goatmeat

Puncher of Goats
Reaction Score
Nope. Get rid of ESPN. Keep the others. This is also not about them going to another state for tax relief - it is them simply failing and I support that.

Reaction Score
Don't necessarily need or want ESPN to go bankrupt. Wouldn't mind at all if their current business model was blown up and they had to make drastic changes.
Great point, Chin. They have way too much power over the college landscape and picking haves and have nots.

Reaction Score
Don't necessarily need or want ESPN to go bankrupt. Wouldn't mind at all if their current business model was blown up and they had to make drastic changes.
I’d like ESPN to return to how ESPN was before Disney. You know? Sports highlights news, replays and games. Not just a bunch of overpaid Stephen A’s giving their terrible “hot take” on latest sports news.

Reaction Score
I used to wonder at the animus directed towards ESPN on the board....but not anymore.

I understood the thoughts of "ESPN didn't support us to the ACC".....and then also I thought, "OK, ESPN owns college football and this sport may not be as popular in the northeast".

But I really did not realize the width of the split between UConn/ESPN until I started following basketball. ESPN caters to P5 men's basketball. I can see that now. I looked when UConn went with the BE and Fox.

Mondays (ESPN Big Monday)...ACC-Big 12 double header

Tuesday (Super Tuesday)...SEC-Big 10

Wednesday (Wednesday Night Hoops)...ACC, Big 12, Big 10

Saturdays...(day games and Saturday Primetime)...ACC, Big 10, Big 12

and...with the AAC's newish contract...a lot more of their basketball will be on the ABC/ESPN family in 2021.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I used to wonder at the animus directed towards ESPN on the board....but not anymore.

I understood the thoughts of "ESPN didn't support us to the ACC".....and then also I thought, "OK, ESPN owns college football and this sport may not be as popular in the northeast".

But I really did not realize the width of the split between UConn/ESPN until I started following basketball. ESPN caters to P5 men's basketball. I can see that now. I looked when UConn went with the BE and Fox.

Mondays (ESPN Big Monday)...ACC-Big 12 double header

Tuesday (Super Tuesday)...SEC-Big 10

Wednesday (Wednesday Night Hoops)...ACC, Big 12, Big 10

Saturdays...(day games and Saturday Primetime)...ACC, Big 10, Big 12

and...with the AAC's newish contract...a lot more of their basketball will be on the ABC/ESPN family in 2021.

I like your spirit, but that's mainly the result of Big East contract with Fox

Reaction Score
ESPN needs talking head personalities and shows. Highlights are commodities now. Sport center is irrelevant.

I’d like ESPN to return to how ESPN was before Disney. You know? Sports highlights news, replays and games. Not just a bunch of overpaid Stephen A’s giving their terrible “hot take” on latest sports news.
[/QUOTE]

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
ESPN needs talking head personalities and shows. Highlights are commodities now. Sport center is irrelevant.
I haven't watched SportsCenter in ages. But ESPN does not need talking heads. These people are so annoying. I'm tired of athletes and former athletes giving me their opinion on everything. If I want to hear it I'll follow their Twitter feeds. Bring back the old ESPN. Australian Rules Football was great. Irish Hurling would be a nice addition. There are plenty of sports they could show in lieu of the talking heads. Do sports center at 11 at night or 6 am. That's it.

Reaction Score
For the most part I prefer to watch sports, Australian rules football, rugby, etc over talking heads. Maybe an hour of College Game Day and NFL Pre-game. No more than that if they want my eyes on their shows.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
For the most part I prefer to watch sports, Australian rules football, rugby, etc over talking heads. Maybe an hour of College Game Day and NFL Pre-game. No more than that if they want my eyes on their shows.
Yeah, college game day is really the only talking head show I can stomach and the only one that is a value ad to me. Some of the NFL shows maybe... Regional sports networks, social media and super fan sites (ahem The Boneyard) get the vast majority of my screen time vs ESPN when it’s non live action.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
No, lets kiss all their asses and let the people make up their taxes that have been forgiven
You can
I could give a crap if they all left
If we keep voting for the idiots that make these kiss ass decisions,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Reaction Score
You don’t need sportscenter for scores and highlights anymore. How else should they fill up 8 hours a day of programming?
No one’s watching rugby or hurling.

I don’t live in CT so I’m not in-tune with the state-corporate relationships. The companies should pay their fair share of taxes, the state & cities should work with the companies to create positive business environments for recruitment, limit churn and turn metro Hartford into a desirable city for young professionals (especially with the coronavirus reality)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moochi278

Top Bottom