ESPN: Big12 Talks Expansion at spring conference meeting | The Boneyard

ESPN: Big12 Talks Expansion at spring conference meeting

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score

—————

"We do see the upside in basketball moving forward for all the right reasons," Yormark said without mentioning any specific schools. "We think it's undervalued and there's a chance for us to double down as the No. 1 basketball conference in America, but football is the driver and we all know that.

"As we think about the future and ways to create value," he added, "there is always that option to decouple basketball from football to see if there's further value we can create for the conference."

A source told ESPN that UConn and Gonzaga were "certainly talked about" in the meetings, which were held at the posh Greenbrier resort, but the presidents and chancellors are in a holding pattern until the Pac-12 announces its television deal.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
If the Big 12 wants a BBall only deal for us as well I have no clue what we do.....if they added Gonzaga as bball only, I'd think they'd want a similar match and I can see us fit that bill because of his comment of decoupling football and basketball. Our football is still not great and brings no value like most Pac12 schools do. Only thought is that if they offer us bball only, they mention something about football add down the road....I think that's all not happening if we are an expansion candidate, but just tossing it out there.

Reaction Score
A BB only Gonzaga makes zero sense. Total head scratcher.
Having by far the top basketball league helps ensure that the BIG 12 is one of the conferences that breaks from the NCAA with the BIG 10 and SEC to create their own basketball tournament and football playoff.

Also, the BIG 12 wants coast to coast content in all time zones because that increases TV value and Gonzaga provides the Pacific time zone. The BIG 12 wants separate TV contracts for basketball and football, so this addition would make more sense once the new contracts are negotiated in about 6 or 7 years.

It would be the first basketball only add, but would likely not be the last. That is why the Big East is meeting soon to increase the buyout for the other Big East basketball schools. The BIG 12 could target schools like Villanova in the near future and schools like Georgetown and/or St. Johns in the future if these programs turn it around.

Reaction Score
If the Big 12 wants a BBall only deal for us as well I have no clue what we do.....if they added Gonzaga as bball only, I'd think they'd want a similar match and I can see us fit that bill because of his comment of decoupling football and basketball. Our football is still not great and brings no value like most Pac12 schools do. Only thought is that if they offer us bball only, they mention something about football add down the road....I think that's all not happening if we are an expansion candidate, but just tossing it out there.
I'm wondering if there's a carrot of X amount of Big 12 teams will be contractually obligated to visit the Rent every season, or a mini-Big 12 football schedule every season. Would lessen the AD stress and workload of cobbling together an independent schedule every year and get decent teams in (ie. ticket sales)

Last edited:

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
I'm wondering if there's a carrot of X amount of Big 12 teams will be contractually obligated to visit the Rent every season, or a mini-Big 12 football schedule every season. Would lessen the AD stress and workload of cobbling together an independent schedule every year and get decent teams in (ie. ticket sales)
I think any situation like this would require membership at the end. I would be fine with this Big 12 phase in - 4-5 games a year, we still stay on our own TV deal for now, a window at which time we join the Big XII after getting 2-3 years of P5 recruiting

Reaction Score
Basketball only doesn't work for us. I don't think that it's a bad thing for Big 12 teams to visit the Rent either. It would be their only exposure to the NY market and the northeast in general. When you think of "added value" to the conference, that has to be part of the thought process.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
A BB only Gonzaga makes zero sense. Total head scratcher.
Here’s a theory: they are getting Gonzaga lined up to join as a non-football member to match up with Notre Dame as a non-football member to keep the league at an even number of teams for all sports. Gonzaga will be the “Western Division” non-football program with Notre Dame being the “Eastern Division” non-football program.

Think about it—when the ACC blows up, if Notre Dame really does want to stay independent in Football, there is no way the B1G or SEC will have any of that. So when the ACC blows up, Notre Dame either has to join the B1G in all sports and give up independence, or work out a deal with the B12 for a non-football membership.

Notre Dame could be in an “Eastern Division” of the B12 with the likes of UConn, Syracuse, Pitt, Duke, West Virginia, Cincinnati, Louisville, and UCF.

Seems like the B12 is playing this strategically and planning 10 steps ahead in the conference realignment game. Either that, or the ACC implosion may occur much sooner than most expect and the B12 is getting ahead of it.

Reaction Score
Here’s a theory: they are getting Gonzaga lined up to join as a non-football member to match up with Notre Dame as a non-football member to keep the league at an even number of teams for all sports. Gonzaga will be the “Western Division” non-football program with Notre Dame being the “Eastern Division” non-football program.

Think about it—when the ACC blows up, if Notre Dame really does want to stay independent in Football, there is no way the B1G or SEC will have any of that. So when the ACC blows up, Notre Dame either has to join the B1G in all sports and give up independence, or work out a deal with the B12 for a non-football membership.

Notre Dame could be in an “Eastern Division” of the B12 with the likes of UConn, Syracuse, Pitt, Duke, West Virginia, Cincinnati, Louisville, and UCF.

Seems like the B12 is playing this strategically and planning 10 steps ahead in the conference realignment game. Either that, or the ACC implosion may occur much sooner than most expect and the B12 is getting ahead of it.
Interesting theory

Reaction Score
If they want UConn for BB, I'd say only if we schedule H/H with B12 schools. Otherwise stay in the BE.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Notre Dame's recent addition to the AAU leads me to believe otherwise.

Reaction Score
I don't like this, I'd still take it over the BE with contingencies. 1) there is a future plan to add the football side, before any other football is added beyond this round of expansion. 2) a set number of schools schedule H/H games every year, example 4 games yearly 2 home, 2 away. 3) we have access to their bowl games. Of course we aren't taking their top bowls. Something along the lines of, if they don't fill all their bowls or we are considered in areas where we have a number of wins more than the big 12 school being considered. 4) the money is right.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Notre Dame's recent addition to the AAU leads me to believe otherwise.
Do you really believe that AAU membership was going to prevent the B1G from taking Notre Dame?! Not a chance.

Notre Dame is approaching the point of no return on Independence. When the ACC implodes, they will be forced to make the tough decision, as the rubber will finally meet the proverbial road.

I think it is 75/25 that they finally give up their independence and join the B1G along with some group such as Virginia, UNC, Oregon, Washington, and Miami. But on the 25% chance they decide to stick with independence, they will need either the B12 to take them on, or slide into UConns vacated spot in the Big East.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Do you really believe that AAU membership was going to prevent the B1G from taking Notre Dame?! Not a chance.
No. And in fact, I see they're being offered a use status to buy smaller annual research than UConn as being a leading indicator that they are preparing for that move.

Reaction Score
I don't see how NDs situation has changed. It's going to come down to tv contract but they're willing to have an antipremium for independence.

The real issue is if the big10 and others start to shut them out on scheduling.

Otherwise I don't see much of a change per se.

Reaction Score
I don't see how NDs situation has changed. It's going to come down to tv contract but they're willing to have an antipremium for independence.

The real issue is if the big10 and others start to shut them out on scheduling.

Otherwise I don't see much of a change per se.
ND will join a conference when the power conferences break away from the NCAA.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
There's not a shot I'd take a "we'll add you in a few years for football but just take you for basketball" deal. If anyone thinks that would hold any water, I have a bridge to sell you.....

To me it's either everything or a very, very hard look and possibly saying no. I don't know how we could do that but tying ourselves to the Big 12 for bball only and that's it is not beneficial. We saw what happened when we left our geographic footprint for the AAC. It's not worth the chance if it's just bball.

Let's hope we don't need to see that and they decide to just offer us full membership!

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
There's not a shot I'd take a "we'll add you in a few years for football but just take you for basketball" deal. If anyone thinks that would hold any water, I have a bridge to sell you.....

To me it's either everything or a very, very hard look and possibly saying no. I don't know how we could do that but tying ourselves to the Big 12 for bball only and that's it is not beneficial. We saw what happened when we left our geographic footprint for the AAC. It's not worth the chance if it's just bball.

Let's hope we don't need to see that and they decide to just offer us full membership!
Didn’t they phase us into the BE that way?

Reaction Score

Agreed. Even with some sort of scheduling deal for football that’s not enough for me. It’s not just about playing big 12 teams it’s about having a conference championship to compete for, having good bowl tie ins, etc.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom