ESPN, Big 12 Agree To Sweeping Media-Rights Deal | The Boneyard

ESPN, Big 12 Agree To Sweeping Media-Rights Deal

Reaction Score
ESPN, Big 12 Agree To Sweeping Media-Rights Deal

>>ESPN signed a sweeping media-rights deal with the Big 12 that will see ABC or ESPN carry every football championship game through ’24 and will launch a Big 12-branded area on ESPN+. In the new deal, which includes three championship games and ESPN+ rights, ESPN will pay a total of around $40M. When this agreement is added to the current media-rights deal that still has six years to run, the conference will average $22M per year, sources said. A formal announcement is expected later today.<<

>>Every deal ESPN has cut recently has included a significant ESPN+ component, and this one is no different. Hundreds of events from all sports will be offered on ESPN+ under a Big 12 brand. Eight of the 10 schools will provide more than 50 exclusive events per year, including at least one football game, any spring football game and any basketball game that is not on an ESPN linear network.<<

Reaction Score
2024 will be the next big year for realignment, which means the schools moving will be announced in 2022 or 2023. Whoever the new Big Ten Commissioner will be on July 1, 2020 will probably be involved in heavy expansion negotiations with certain schools about a year into his new job.

Reaction Score

No wonder FOX didn't want to pay $20MM/year for the championship game. ESPN just bought it for loose change they found in the seat cushions

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
In the new deal, which includes three championship games and ESPN+ rights, ESPN will pay a total of around $40M.

Reaction Score
When you see numbers like these in comparison to what current B1G Teams, including Nebraska, are pulling down, you have to believe that the presidents of OU and UT will at least pick up the phone and listen if they see a Chicago Area Code...

B12

Reaction Score
My guess is they've already talked.
The real question is where are KU, OU, and UT going to end up.

My bet is KU goes to the B1G. ESPN gets involved and offers to take OSU along with OU. Then OU has to make a choice. That will be interesting.

UT goes to the ACC with a ND type deal that allows LHN to air more FB games and pays them over 60 million in TV money. They play 5 ACC games, ND, OU, etc...

Who knows after that, maybe the PAC takes some of the rest, or ESPN pulls all the valuable AAC schools out and moves them to the Big 12.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The real question is where are KU, OU, and UT going to end up.

My bet is KU goes to the B1G. ESPN gets involved and offers to take OSU along with OU. Then OU has to make a choice. That will be interesting.

Why would the Big Ten pay $55,000,000 for Kansas?

There are 500,000 cable households in Kansas - the Big Ten would be lighting money on fire.

If you're going to overpay for a dreadful market, might as well pick off Oklahoma instead.

Reaction Score
Texas will never end up in the Acc. Just not a cultural fit. They're one school though that could go independent, but they won't. I'd say B10 first, Sec second.

Reaction Score
Texas will never end up in the Acc. Just not a cultural fit. They're one school though that could go independent, but they won't. I'd say B10 first, Sec second.
I'm curious: Why do you think that a southern/western school like Texas is a better cultural fit in the rust belt B1G over a SEC or ACC which are dominated by southern schools?

Reaction Score
I could see Texas in the SEC with Texas A&M, Arkansas, Louisiana, Missouri, Mississippi, Ole Miss...

Reaction Score

Can you explain about the cultures of the two? I imagine that Texas looks at Louisville, Clemson, Florida State, BC, Syracuse, North Carolina, NC State, etc., and they think, "What a cesspool. Perfect for us!'

Reaction Score
Texas A&M will keep Texas out of the SEC, just like Florida would keep out Florida State, Georgia would keep out Georgia Tech and South Carolina would keep out Clemson.

Reaction Score
Texas and Oklahoma could also end up as two of four new teams in the PAC 16. There have been persistent rumors. Something along those lines would really make the Big 12 look like the Old Football Big East did ten-eleven years ago when Swofford grabbed Miami, BC, Syracuse, Virginia Tech and Pitt.

Reaction Score
Texas and Oklahoma could also end up as two of four new teams in the PAC 16. There have been persistent rumors. Something along those lines would really make the Big 12 look like the Old Football Big East did ten-eleven years ago when Swofford grabbed Miami, BC, Syracuse, Virginia Tech and Pitt.
It's possible, but I doubt it. Texas and Oklahoma already looked at this during the realignment gold rush. They didn't like it because of the west coast desert that it the Pacific time zone, 2-3 zones away from the majority of viewers.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Texas A&M will keep Texas out of the SEC, just like Florida would keep out Florida State, Georgia would keep out Georgia Tech and South Carolina would keep out Clemson.

If Texas wants to join any conference, Texas will join that conference.

There isn't a school on the planet with the juice to block Texas.

Reaction Score
If Texas wants to join any conference, Texas will join that conference.

There isn't a school on the planet with the juice to block Texas.

I think there are a couple schools with enough sway in their conference to keep Texas out.

That being said, there is a 0% chance they join the SEC.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom