OT: - ESPN Article on NBA China Academies | The Boneyard

OT: ESPN Article on NBA China Academies

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The NBA isn't going to be able to deflect and avoid this much longer.

The NBA employees who spoke with ESPN said many of the league's problems stemmed from the decision to embed the academies in government-run sports facilities. The facilities gave the NBA access to existing infrastructure and elite players, Tatum said. But the arrangement put NBA activities under the direction of Chinese officials who selected the players and helped define the training.

"We were basically working for the Chinese government," one former coach said.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The NBA has turned into a joke - the administration is greedy and that causes them to be ignorant of moral well being.
The players, especially the "superstars" who have become spokespeople for political arenas speak out of both sides of their mouths - they ignore the sweatshops of corporations that pay them millions yet feel so free to spout out about things in this country that is way above their pay levels
I'm basically done with the NBA, I'll miss my Celtics, and soon the MLB, NFL and MLS will be included.
It's impossible to watch an NFL game or NBA national broadcast game without some announcer making a social/political statement that gets dragged on and dilutes the broadcast.

OldBosd

BBQ Beer Freedom!!!
Reaction Score
I've watched a couple of Celtics games this week but it feels as much fun as watching a video game.

It's weird.

The NBA participating in practices where kids are physically abused can't last. Won't last.

However, the NBA will shut up and dribble as long as China buys their products or makes their products.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
They were physically beating uighur children at NBA camps? Wow. Why isn’t this a bigger story?

Reaction Score
I pretty much stop watching all professional sports. I have tuned into a few baseball games but tune in after the game has already started. I'll probably check out a few NHL games but will wait until the game has started before tuning in. I only watch for a little while. Just don't have the interest anymore.

Reaction Score
I spent quite a bit of time in China and watched a lot of the Chinese Basketball League. It was hilarious. They had one or two Americans on each team. Almost every play involved the Chinese players passing the ball a bit and then giving it to the American players to score.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The NBA has turned into a joke - the administration is greedy and that causes them to be ignorant of moral well being.
The players, especially the "superstars" who have become spokespeople for political arenas speak out of both sides of their mouths - they ignore the sweatshops of corporations that pay them millions yet feel so free to spout out about things in this country that is way above their pay levels
I'm basically done with the NBA, I'll miss my Celtics, and soon the MLB, NFL and MLS will be included.
It's impossible to watch an NFL game or NBA national broadcast game without some announcer making a social/political statement that gets dragged on and dilutes the broadcast.

People hold Jordan’s lack of activism against him, and to a certain extent they should. Why LeBron seems to have skated after basically defending the Chinese was worse in my opinion, if only because at least Jordan did not pretend to be anything but a businessman when it came to his brand ... Lebron has gone over the top to tell everyone what an activist he is, and when he had an opportunity to actually make a difference he punted because it was a cause that could actually hurt his wallet.

OldBosd

BBQ Beer Freedom!!!
Reaction Score
People hold Jordan’s lack of activism against him, and to a certain extent they should. Why LeBron seems to have skated after basically defending the Chinese was worse in my opinion, if only because at least Jordan did not pretend to be anything but a businessman when it came to his brand ... Lebron has gone over the top to tell everyone what an activist he is, and when he had an opportunity to actually make a difference he punted because it was a cause that could actually hurt his wallet.

I think Lebron doesn't really know what is happening in China.

He is basically a stand up guy. I think he will evolve on this.

Reaction Score
Don't let the door hit you on the way out

OldBosd

BBQ Beer Freedom!!!
Reaction Score
Don't let the door hit you on the way out

I'm not sure that is a winning sports marketing strategy.

Unless the NBA is willing to die on the social justice mountain vs. China and prove to everyone its not just an act but a heroic stand for the little guy.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure that is a winning sports marketing strategy.

Unless the NBA is willing to die on the social justice mountain vs. China and prove to everyone its not just an act but a heroic stand for the little guy.
I can (and do) expect the NBA to take a stand against China. It's slowly started to trickle out in interviews. But that wasn't gtcam's or my point

OldBosd

BBQ Beer Freedom!!!
Reaction Score
I can (and do) expect the NBA to take a stand against China. It's slowly started to trickle out in interviews. But that wasn't gtcam's or my point

I know. You think you excommunicated a witch or an apostate.

The China stuff is a bit more sticky. I think they will take a stand but I'm not sure. And they might take a performative stand with nothing behind it.

Reaction Score
Lakers vs Clippers was very hard to watch. I thought I was watching a CNN pickup game with what I saw on the court

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom