Espn article about conferences vs geography. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Espn article about conferences vs geography.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Don't be that guy....the guy who "senses" things that are not there...
LOL, aren’t you “that guy” who senses things that were never said about the whole Big East conference hatred football canard?

Anyway, when the C7 left, the new schools being brought in we’re definitely part of the picture but not necessarily that they were “football scores anyway, when the C7 left, the new schools being brought in we’re definitely part of the picture but not necessarily that they were “football“ rather it was in odd conglomeration of CUSA schools who made no geographic sense for the conference. But the bigger issue was, of course, the lack of a decent ESPN media deal. The conference no longer made geographic or financial sense.

I’m not sure where you come up with your Big East was against football hill you are choosing to die on when clearly the conference made enormous efforts to try to keep it self viable for football. Now if you wanna ratchet back your argument and say the basketball only schools hand divergent interest to the football schools, that’s an entirely reasonable position.

Reaction Score
The BIg East reformed....I have always been saying that the basketball schools had a different agenda, a different sport philosophy....and most agree....most folks, Gene included, knew it was a doomed conference.

The issue of bringing in the new schools, for the C7..was that they would be football schools with votes...the C7 opted out while they had the votes to do so.

Die on whatever hill you have chosen...but the Big East does not play football..it is a basketball conference...

Reaction Score
Zissou...

Don't be that guy....the guy who "senses" things that are not there...by the way, I went to 12 years of catholic schooling...I have nothing against private schools...even Duke. I have no insecurities over the Big East...that does appear to be projection.

Just saying that the Big East was a basketball first conference when formulated and about half of the conference never moved from that..it is not a good or bad thing..Zissy...it is just a fact.

And nationally, people just don't care that much about national titles beyond football and basketball...

Who knows or cares that UNC's women hold an unbelievable 21 national championships in soccer?

Or that UNC, Virginia, and Duke have won a combined 8 men's lacrosse titles since 2000?

If it was football or basketball...we might have an inkling...but it isn't.
“Not trying to be smarmy...just curious...besides basketball...what other sports do the current Big East members, that are not named UConn , have a NC in?”

You are the one that asked the question! Who cares? I guess mostly you! (Until you find out that FSU is far behind small, private, Catholic Nova in those “other sports”).

Long before the Big East ever sponsored football it made the selection of Pitt over Penn State.

“The league was never going to survive as it was...had been struggling with an identity crisis for years....a core catholic basketball league with national brands loosely welded to a group of football playing schools. The basketball side was all about basketball of course...”

The first nine in the Big East included Pitt and founding members UConn and Syracuse. The core wasn’t all Catholic.

Reaction Score
The BIg East reformed....I have always been saying that the basketball schools had a different agenda, a different sport philosophy....and most agree....most folks, Gene included, knew it was a doomed conference.

The issue of bringing in the new schools, for the C7..was that they would be football schools with votes...the C7 opted out while they had the votes to do so.

Die on whatever hill you have chosen...but the Big East does not play football..it is a basketball conference...
The C7 objected to bringing in Tulane, not because they were a football school, but because they were Tulane.

Tulane wasn’t quite Miami or even BC, WVU, VT, or Louisville. The C7 opted out after Pitt, Cuse, and WVU left, not before.

Bud, your an FSU guy that didn’t live the Big East history. Your view from afar, and your selective googling, is distorted. You have a bias to disparage the Big East. Just enjoy the ACC cash. Nova and UConn will celebrate the titles.

Reaction Score
Division I - "Schools must field teams in at least seven sports for men and seven for women or six for men and eight for women, with at least two team sports for each gender. Teams that include both men and women are counted as men's sports for the purposes of sponsorship counting."

Conferences should be regional so that all sports would be competing with the best interests of the athletes, student bodies, and fans in mind. Football should be the lone exception. Let the football programs and greed create their own messed up conferences. Problem solved.

Reaction Score
I don’t know, it measured up favorably to the ACC in the pre-raid years. If it was so much worse, why would the ACC desire its teams?

(Remember to use the reply function so I will see your post.)
This is true and when they moved to the ACC, the former Big East schools were pretty successful in football. VaTech beat Miami the first year both were in the league. BC and VaTech played in the ACC title game at least twice, too. In fact VaTech was in the ACC championship game 6 times in the first 10 years and won 4. BC was there twice. It’s funny but the prize of the ACC raid, Miami, has never won an ACC football title.

Reaction Score
Rafferty said it best the other night...the Big East is”only a basketball conference now.” As to whether it is one of the top 3, I think that is a pretty big stretch. Top 6 probably. But if you look at the NCAA tournament excluding Villanova as an outlier, it has consistently underperformed. Villanova has given the Big East a level of luster it really doesn’t deserve based on performance of the other schools. That, combined with the Big East name brought a level of respect that the league doesn’t deserve.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The only reason UConn has a football team is to get into a P5 conference. That goal has never changed. Going to the Big East wasn't an abandonment of the goal, it was a realization that the AAC was not the vehicle to get UConn there. We don't need UConn FB to be great, they only need to be viable when if a spot open.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure leaving the AAC was to position the football team to get into a P5 conference. There are only two P5 conferences that fit geographically, ACC & B1G. Neither of those conferences have ever shown an interest in UConn. There are a total of 4 spots available between those two conferences and ND is taking one of them should either conference expand. I don’t see expansion happening without the Big 12 folding. It’s likely that without their own TV network, the Big 12 gets absorbed by the remaining 4 power conferences.

I think the powers to be have given up on football getting us into a power conference. They want to salvage basketball and get back to winning national championships. A good comparison is Villanova. They have still have a respectable football program, but their emphasis is basketball.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure leaving the AAC was to position the football team to get into a P5 conference. There are only two P5 conferences that fit geographically, ACC & B1G. Neither of those conferences have ever shown an interest in UConn. There are a total of 4 spots available between those two conferences and ND is taking one of them should either conference expand. I don’t see expansion happening without the Big 12 folding. It’s likely that without their own TV network, the Big 12 gets absorbed by the remaining 4 power conferences.

I think the powers to be have given up on football getting us into a power conference. They want to salvage basketball and get back to winning national championships. A good comparison is Villanova. They have still have a respectable football program, but their emphasis is basketball.
UConn came very close to getting into the ACC. A lot can happen in the post-COVID period.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The only reason UConn has a football team is to get into a P5 conference. That goal has never changed. Going to the Big East wasn't an abandonment of the goal, it was a realization that the AAC was not the vehicle to get UConn there. We don't need UConn FB to be great, they only need to be viable when if a spot open.
My take is slightly different. UConn has "always" had a football program. It made the jump to 1-A when the Big East invited UConn. Things changed drastically so then the immediate goal was to join a P5 program which didn't happen. So now it is one of 65 programs or so outside of the P5. The landscape will no doubt shift again so the goals will change. Big East Basketball was the correct call as we are now seeing. Most FB programs are viable. Being a member of a P5 conference is really the boost to becoming a very good program.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame
Clemson
Oklahoma
Texas
Penn State
Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan St
Oregon
Washington
USC
LSU
Alabama
Georgia

One National Conference. They can have their own CFP. Pay players at the highest level.

No other team has much of a chance to win a national title anyway.

Reaction Score
Zissou...

What I mean about "nationally nobody knows or cares" if a NC is not basketball or football is mostly just a fact.

My example is....who cares that UNC holds 50 team national championships? It is the basketball NC's that folks know about. Not Women's and Men's Soccer, Field Hockey, Men's Lacrosse, or Women's Lacrosse..(all of which sports UNC holds national championships in).

Reaction Score
Zissou...

What I mean about "nationally nobody knows or cares" if a NC is not basketball or football is mostly just a fact.

My example is....who cares that UNC holds 50 team national championships? It is the basketball NC's that folks know about. Not Women's and Men's Soccer, Field Hockey, Men's Lacrosse, or Women's Lacrosse..(all of which sports UNC holds national championships in).
Maybe so! But you started the topic! Implying that Big East members don’t excel at other sports!

“Not trying to be smarmy...just curious...besides basketball...what other sports do the current Big East members, that are not named UConn , have a NC in?”

you are again throwing stones from your FSU glass house

Reaction Score
Not implying anything about Big East sports (read it).....am flat stating that no one knows or cares about titles in lacrosse, field hockey, etc...it is football and basketball.

Where I went to school has nothing to do with that statement....Heck, FSU's women won the softball title a couple of seasons back and even FSU folks don't care and many, if not most, don't know.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Neither of those conferences have ever shown an interest in UConn
Incorrect. The ACC has “shown interest“ twice. That has been documented it is a part of the public record. Note that doesn’t mean that I believe you are interested now, but they definitely have been in the past.

Reaction Score
The basketball schools of the ACC (primarily Duke and UNC) were very interested in adding UConn...especially Coach K.

When Pitt and Cuse were about to join...

If the two schools are to join the ACC, Krzyzewski doesn't want the conference to stop at 14 teams. He said he'd like to see 16 teams, taking two more schools that have comparable rich basketball traditions and are in the Eastern time zone. An ACC official told USA Today that Connecticut and Rutgers would be the candidates.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not implying anything about Big East sports (read it).....am flat stating that no one knows or cares about titles in lacrosse, field hockey, etc...it is football and basketball.

Where I went to school has nothing to do with that statement....Heck, FSU's women won the softball title a couple of seasons back and even FSU folks don't care and many, if not most, don't know.
You are the one that specifically asked the question (read it).

1614614222273.png

I agree, it is basketball and football by miles ahead of all else. It is literally your point about “other sports”.

Attachments

• 1614614107318.png
    1614614107318.png
    52.9 KB · Views: 105
Reaction Score
I did ask the question...because I...and most folks nationally do not know...and you really take that as a personal affront. It is you who is having a defensive reaction to this illustrative question.

Just like you had no idea that UNC had 50 team national championships....and neither did I.

As I posted.....it is basketball and football that folks know and really care about.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I did ask the question...because I...and most folks nationally do not know...and you really take that as a personal affront. It is you who is having a defensive reaction to this illustrative question.

Just like you had no idea that UNC had 50 team national championships....and neither did I.

As I posted.....it is basketball and football that folks know and really care about.
Actually billybud, you asked. I answered. You replied that nobody cares. So I pointed out that, well, you asked the question.

I don’t take it as a personal affront. Far from it.

UConn and Nova each have multiple basketball titles and each have over 20 NCAA team titles. FSU has neither.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom