OT: - ESPN+ - Apple help sought | The Boneyard

OT: ESPN+ - Apple help sought

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm going on the road so I want to make sure my iPad is ready for the Peacock and ESPN+ games I want to see. The ESPN app is requiring me to update before it lets me in. The update requires iOS 13.0 in order to download. My iPad says my 12.5.4 is up to date. Any suggestions?

Reaction Score
I'm going on the road so I want to make sure my iPad is ready for the Peacock and ESPN+ games I want to see. The ESPN app is requiring me to update before it lets me in. The update requires iOS 13.0 in order to download. My iPad says my 12.5.4 is up to date. Any suggestions?
I ~think~ they have a FAQ, and a chat function… don’t hold me to that.

Reaction Score
How old is your iPad? It very well could be that 12.5.4 is the latest iOS it can run. Below is a link to iOS/iPad compatibility.

Compatibility

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I am guessing he has an iPad from back around 2013/2014.

How do I know? Today, house painters found an iPad that we lost like four years ago. I turned it on and, coincidentally, it is on 12.5.4 and that is the last version available to it.

I’ll try to get ESPN+ downloaded. It can be done.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
How old is your iPad? It very well could be that 12.5.4 is the latest iOS it can run. Below is a link to iOS/iPad compatibility.

Compatibility
That makes sense I've had it for awhile. Your link does not list any iPad's. It's not mission failure, I have a new phone. I was just hoping for a bigger screen. Thanks for the assist folks, I had done some fruitless research on my own.

Reaction Score
That makes sense I've had it for awhile. Your link does not list any iPad's. It's not mission failure, I have a new phone. I was just hoping for a bigger screen. Thanks for the assist folks, I had done some fruitless research on my own.
My bad! I just skimmed it. This link should be better.

Compatibility

Basically anything from 2013 and earlier is a no go.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You have, but by ESPN and time.

Basically, you can always run an older version of an app by going to your purchased list and downloading the older version that would work on your device.

You can download the older ESPN apps….BUT, ESPN has killed the apps ability to access their servers. So you can see what you want to watch, but you cannot watch it.

Flip side is that you can just watch ESPN+ in the browser and it works just as well. Picture in picture, etc., all work fine.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Thanks for the research, Fishy.

ADD: It works fine in my browser. I probably could have thought of that myself but it never came to mind. They finally got me using the app and now I have to go back.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
IOS and Android OS go through so many updates, it isn't like Windows where you can essentially run for a decade off the OS with security updates. I would say 5 years is probably the shelf life of a tablet unless you are going to learn how to use it a different way, such as the browser for watching things. It sucks because Apple's hardware is well made and will work for a long time but the software will kill the system.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
IOS and Android OS go through so many updates, it isn't like Windows where you can essentially run for a decade off the OS with security updates. I would say 5 years is probably the shelf life of a tablet unless you are going to learn how to use it a different way, such as the browser for watching things. It sucks because Apple's hardware is well made and will work for a long time but the software will kill the system.

From Apple's perspective that's a feature not a bug.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

I think you have it backwards.

Case in point….trying to solve Waq’s problem, I used a 2013 iPad and a 2012 Nexus 7 tablet. All the modern apps you would expect updated without issue - except ESPN. Neither one felt as fast as a present tablet, but both are definitely ‘good enough’, especially for browser, watching video, etc.

By comparison, a 2010 MacBook and a 2012 Dell Inspiron routinely choked to death simply loading webpages. We have some old PCs at work that are fine because we literally just use them to log into a unix system…it’s almost a shock when you try to use one to Google something because the modern internet clubs them like a baby seal.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom