ESPN announcers’ grade: D- | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ESPN announcers’ grade: D-

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Two color commentators never works, particularly when both are horrible at the job. They should never leave the studio, where both are excellent, even when together. Fortner is a very good color announcer; she belongs there; Landers belongs at a Fantasy basketball bar and grille.

The post of the week.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
It’s not the lower score, the one below D-, because the profanity filter would delete it.Horrible, horrible announcing. Men’s basketball, dog clothing, tomatoes, WNBA rosters - anything but the game. Just awful.
And Beca and Kara probably don't understand why more people don't watch women's college basketball. Personally Beca should return to the half-time show. When Kara is teamed with the play-by-play person, she is much better. Beca tends to wander too much afield and Kara follows her.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Yes, Vin Scully(former Dodger broadcaster) had it right. He insisted that he be in the broadcasting booth alone. Even if the game gets out of hand there are many comments to make on the individuals, and their moves.
If, you are a TRUE FAN, you don't need entertainment on the side.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Nope, sorry, no slack from me. If the game is out of hand, talk about the types of defenses being played, point out particularly good plays and how only a handful of college players can do it, etc. Educate the people interested in women’s basketball, don’t blather about Dawn Staley’s dog. I don’t give a hoot if Kara likes tomatoes, either.

Yes. This. Game announcers should do NOTHING that takes attention away from the game or the athletes. Broadcasters should act as respected guests, not as TV “stars.” Too many want to opine about what a team should rightly do, as opposed to focusing on what the players actually did do.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Thought the start was ok
It may be company policy or local direction to essentially leave the game call, when the beatdown commences.

If they insist on this policy, there were an awful lot of stories lines right in the arena... I thought the quieting of the crowd was a great story that could have been backed up even by interviews of locals.

On this subject, the good behavior of the crowd, even that of Dawn was fascinating. I seemed that the Missouri situ put her (and them) on notice and she was intimidated.

I think more extensive reporting with regard her coaching (or lack thereof), might have been interesting. Holly does that in the final 4; why not tonight.

I did notice some (unheard) profanities leave her lips...but, obviously not discussed.

I'm sure (if I put my mind to it), I'm watching Rachel as I write, can think of a few more relevant items for ESPN to use when a UConn appearance gets out of hand. :)

Reaction Score
The announcers stayed focused on the game until the score got out of hand. At that point, the only people who still cared about the fine points of the play were probably Boneyarders. The other 99% of the audience would have been bored to tears if they HAD continued to talk about the offensive and defensive strategies, or anything of that nature. Cut them some slack.

I do agree that they should have announced who picked up the fouls and how many the player had. The only way I knew that KLS got her third foul was when Marisa held up three fingers while the camera was on her.

Sorry Joe Pgh but the announcers never stayed focused on the game. NO attack just a difference of opinion, maybe we hear things differently. I would have started this thread had Nan already not done so.
The first three turnovers of the game were not even mentioned along with what they were, along with who was scoring the baskets. From there it was down hill. This was the worse I have ever had to listen thorough. Simply three people, one too many competing for who did the most homework on background filler information. Most of what was discussed while the game was in play should be dead ball filler, they completely dropped the ball. Made themselves more important than the game....sad but true... :( Bob Joyce fell pray to what he had to deal with and it made him out of his normal game rhythm. Thus he became part of the mess.
CPTV did way better than this one....Just say'n...

Reaction Score
Listening to the "announcer" and "color commentators" I thought it was only me who was going crazy. I'm glad I'm not alone. It was just a disgraceful performance by all three of them. They've never been worse. I just watched most of the second half without sound. This was a great performance by Uconn and the "announcers" should have discussed it, just a little, in the second half.

Reaction Score
My biggest problem is mis pronouncing names consistently and fouls and subs O’Brien is guilty of this

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Bob Joyce was sharp as usual. Synched the radio with the TV, and it was pretty much ideal.
Yes I agree. I had bob ever so slightly delayed so it was pretty much perfect. Still had to put up with a bunch of distracting graphics put up by ESPN but didn't have to listen to the distracting banter that accompanied them. Thank you Bob and Debbie!

Reaction Score
This game was a prime example of announcers forgetting that their #1job is to keep viewers apprised of what’s happening...who’s the foul on? how many is that? Etc. We aren’t there, we can’t hear the calls and we rely on them. When they ignore their #1 responsibility they have failed no matter what else they do.

Reaction Score
It’s not the lower score, the one below D-, because the profanity filter would delete it.

Horrible, horrible announcing. Men’s basketball, dog clothing, tomatoes, WNBA rosters - anything but the game. Just awful.
Couldn't agree more. D - is to good of a grade. One of these days the announcers will learn that the broadcast should be about the game and not themselves.

Reaction Score
It’s not the lower score, the one below D-, because the profanity filter would delete it.

Horrible, horrible announcing. Men’s basketball, dog clothing, tomatoes, WNBA rosters - anything but the game. Just awful.
so agree, it was almost hard to follow the game action.

Reaction Score
Focused? I switched to mute and radio after just 2.5 minutes, as Rebecca and Kara were ignoring the game and talking non-stop about the SC-Missouri spat (pun intended).

I did the same thing, and every once in a while I would turn the sound on, and hear more gibberish and immediately hit the mute button. Generally, fortunately, the camera man would focus on the player who made a foul for a few seconds, and that would let me know who made the (non) foul in tonights game. The announcers shouldn't even show up, all they do is shill ESPN's schedule and ruin whatever event they are on hand for.

Reaction Score
This game was a prime example of announcers forgetting that their #1job is to keep viewers apprised of what’s happening...who’s the foul on? how many is that? Etc. We aren’t there, we can’t hear the calls and we rely on them. When they ignore their #1 responsibility they have failed no matter what else they do.
I think the lopsidedness of the score lent itself to the crew straying from the game but it that still was no excuse for the poor all-around job.

Reaction Score

Yes. It was as if they were sitting on the porch having a drink while the kids played some hoops in the driveway.

Reaction Score
Focused? I switched to mute and radio after just 2.5 minutes, as Rebecca and Kara were ignoring the game and talking non-stop about the SC-Missouri spat (pun intended).

Exactly! You would think that they would get the housekeeping details out of the way before the game or during timeouts.

Reaction Score
Wow I see this every time a non-UConn network broadcasts the game. Yes SNY does pretty well for us and for that we are lucky. In my view it is not the color commentators fault or problem what did in fact occur. It is the play by play person (who is supposedly in charge of the announcing crew) who is supposed to provide the game information with embellishment by the others. I think he is terrible at that job. When he fails to lead and do anything of value the others step in and try to fill the void. There were times I thought they did that quite well, others not so much. It was obvious that ESPN was prepared with filler in case the game got out of hand which it did much quicker than even I had hoped for.

Reaction Score

What's wrong with an F+?

Reaction Score

I could not agree more. This was supposed to be one of the biggest games of the year in WCBB. From the time the score was knotted at four apiece until halftime, the road team, in a hostile environment, developed a dynamic on the floor that not only took all the air out of the balloon and silenced the crowd, but executed some of the most spectacular plays one would ever hope to see in the women's game. Most of that amazing stretch was treated with disinterest by the trio of chatty Cathies who were lost in unrelated "commentary." Just awful is right!

Reaction Score
Well i don't hardly listen to annoucers,I get into the game and I know who has what for fouls,thats the fun of it for me.
How did you known who the foul was on? I don't think they ever told us who one foul was on. Only if you were following on game tracker at the same time. They were awful, I can see chit-chat in the second half when the game was out of hand but they were at it from the opening tip! Ugh!

Reaction Score
Two color commentators never works, particularly when both are horrible at the job. They should never leave the studio, where both are excellent, even when together. Fortner is a very good color announcer; she belongs there; Landers belongs at a Fantasy basketball bar and grille.
Speaking of which: why are they referred to as Nell, and Coach Landers? I seem to recall Nell, I mean COACH Fortner doing a pretty good job at Purdue...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom