ESPN abandons plan for college basketball bubble events in Orlando | The Boneyard

ESPN abandons plan for college basketball bubble events in Orlando

Reaction Score

ESPN’s plans to set up an NBA-like bubble for its college basketball events in Orlando have been scuttled due to ongoing differences between the network and the participating schools regarding the health and safety protocols required for participation, The Athletic has learned. The decision impacts 10 events owned by ESPN and more than two dozen schools who were supposed to play in them, and it has thrown what was already a chaotic environment with regard to scheduling into further disarray just one month before the season is set to tip off on Nov. 25.

Reaction Score

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
ESPN’s plans to set up an NBA-like bubble for its college basketball events in Orlando have been scuttled due to ongoing differences between the network and the participating schools regarding the health and safety protocols required for participation,
How can this be read any way but schools in chudland are balking about taking prudent care? Unless schools are asking for more restrictions and ESPN is saying no.

Reaction Score
How can this be read any way but schools in chudland are balking about taking prudent care? Unless schools are asking for more restrictions and ESPN is saying no.
it's the former- espn wanted to follow cdc guidelines

Reaction Score
This is all you need to know about why the NCAA struggles in general. The problem, as much as we like to malign the collective organization, is because there is no NCAA.

There are only collections of schools who are all in higher ed and all think they know the best/right thing to do.

There is no Adam Silver. There is no "head of college basketball". There is a chair of the NCAA subcommittee on D1 college basketball, who has another actual full-time job. And Dan Gavitt, "Vice President of Basketball", who has no power to do anything except run the NCAA tournament and negotiate TV deals.

Reaction Score
This is all you need to know about why the NCAA struggles in general. The problem, as much as we like to malign the collective organization, is because there is no NCAA.

There are only collections of schools who are all in higher ed and all think they know the best/right thing to do.

There is no Adam Silver. There is no "head of college basketball". There is a chair of the NCAA subcommittee on D1 college basketball, who has another actual full-time job. And Dan Gavitt, "Vice President of Basketball", who has no power to do anything except run the NCAA tournament and negotiate TV deals.
I wish Val Ackerman ran it all.

Reaction Score
Maybe this is a crazy idea, but it would be awesome to somehow see college b-ball played at an outdoor venue in one of the warmer Southern states. You don’t see that too often, but 2020 is anything but normal. Also it’s generally accepted that outdoors is safer than indoors during this time.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Maybe this is a crazy idea, but it would be awesome to somehow see college b-ball played at an outdoor venue in one of the warmer Southern states. You don’t see that too often, but 2020 is anything but normal. Also it’s generally accepted that outdoors is safer than indoors during this time.
Carrier Classic 2.0 complete with (for purchase) camo unis. I like it.

ConnZag3

NCAA Hoops Connoisseur
Reaction Score

Actually it could be as simple as playing in a retractable roof stadium like Jerryworld in Texas or in Arizona where the Cards play. Still "open" but would have to think less wild wind directions and things you might get from a full outdoor experience. Solid idea that I'm sure no one will pursue... Head bang

Reaction Score
So without this tourney, guessing duke may have one of the weakest out of conference schedules we’ve seen in a while. Dunno if they released their schedule yet but based off past years, would guess their schedule composes of a ton of home games against horrible schools (would be surprised to see even one true road game).

Reaction Score
So without this tourney, guessing duke may have one of the weakest out of conference schedules we’ve seen in a while. Dunno if they released their schedule yet but based off past years, would guess their schedule composes of a ton of home games against horrible schools (would be surprised to see even one true road game).

Guaranteed 2 seed

Reaction Score
Every conference has different COVID rules so how can a bubble be maintained with each team potentially having different COVID rules? The ACC, SEC, and Big 12 have similar COVID rules, but they are different than the Big 10 and Pac 12. The Big 10 has significantly different rules on testing and how long a player must sit out if testing positive (21 days vs other conferences at 10 days).

I would think the different COVID rules will mean no NCAA Tournament this year unless all of college basketball adopts the same COVID rules so that you can have bubbles.

The bottom line is that we will probably only be able to see local bubbles and conference bubbles with maybe a couple OOC games.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Every conference has different COVID rules so how can a bubble be maintained with each team potentially having different COVID rules?
Simple, use the most stringent rules.

Reaction Score

I believe we already did that on an aircraft carrier. Why not do this again.

Reaction Score
How does a team travel to Milwaukee the way Covid is spiking there? My daughter has to quarantine for 14 days if she comes to CT from Wisconsin. But we are going to let a basketball team just show up?

This season is going to be a total mess. There will likely be more cancellations and postponements and I can see even teams not permitted to travel to certain locations. And as far as bubbles go, everyone needs to keep in mind that the NBA and the NHL bubbles involved relatively small numbers compared with college basketball. At its max, there were fewer than 30 teams. And it involved guys who got paid so screwing up could potentially cost you a lot. And on the scale of things it was for a relatively brief period for most players. As teams lost, they left and went home. Adam Silver or no Adam Silver, putting 300 plus schools in bubbles for 6 months is a significantly bigger, more complex undertaking. Then consider that some schools are going to be on-line, but others are, or plan to try to be in person. Some will be a mix. Even if you wanted to do just the P5 schools and let the mid-majors fend for themselves, just the number of moving parts is incredible.

Reaction Score
How does a team travel to Milwaukee the way Covid is spiking there? My daughter has to quarantine for 14 days if she comes to CT from Wisconsin. But we are going to let a basketball team just show up?

This season is going to be a total mess. There will likely be more cancellations and postponements and I can see even teams not permitted to travel to certain locations. And as far as bubbles go, everyone needs to keep in mind that the NBA and the NHL bubbles involved relatively small numbers compared with college basketball. At its max, there were fewer than 30 teams. And it involved guys who got paid so screwing up could potentially cost you a lot. And on the scale of things it was for a relatively brief period for most players. As teams lost, they left and went home. Adam Silver or no Adam Silver, putting 300 plus schools in bubbles for 6 months is a significantly bigger, more complex undertaking. Then consider that some schools are going to be on-line, but others are, or plan to try to be in person. Some will be a mix. Even if you wanted to do just the P5 schools and let the mid-majors fend for themselves, just the number of moving parts is incredible.
You get tested. I came from Illinois to CT. and didn't quarantine because I got tested and didn't have the virus.

Mohegan is doing a 35 team bubble, they could do that several times as could a bunch of other locations.

Reaction Score
Since you refused to respond to my curiosity, as to what chudland referred to, I googled it. Much to my surprise, you were referring to . I never would have guessed.

Reaction Score
Since you refused to respond to my curiosity, as to what chudland referred to, I googled it. Much to my surprise, you were referring to . I never would have guessed.
I believe the poster was using "Chudland" as a derogatory way to refer to a geographically nebulous region populated heavily by people who seem to take the covid crisis less seriously than others. I do not assume any connotation, but what do I know?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom