ESPN 2021 class rankings | Page 5 | The Boneyard

ESPN 2021 class rankings

Reaction Score
You’re are extremely high on Rivers and Feagin. If at least one is a superstar – you’ll have 2. With that, and you’re going to have possible at least 2 other very good players that support more than likely – so you already have 3- you’re on your way to witnessing your team play at a certain quality level unlike anything you’ve ever seen from your team before.

I realize this past years team was amazing for you but there were quite a few games that you won but you didn’t crush along with the Indiana game. Nearly 40% of your games (a loss combined loss with 12 others) – nearly 40% - were decided by 15 points or less. In reality – you were a hard team to beat – but you were not a super great all-time team.

One poster said he didn’t care about all-time great. Sure in one manner you don’t. It’s just about the wins. And in some cases you might prefer winning gritty games as a fan (though I prefer watching complete annihilation.).

Just put this in perspective: The 09-10, 14-15, and 15-16 UCONN Teams had a total of 17 games in which they won by 20 or less. Nine of the17 were 15 or less. If your 2021 class is near what the 2/3/4 rating is and at least 1 if not 2 are superstar caliber – you’re going to enjoy something on a whole another level. Those 13 games of 15 or less can possibly be 2 years of 13 or less.

Blowouts are relaxing but not particularly fun. Winning is the issue - not fun or relaxation. If you blow out the majority of your opponents during the season, are you as prepared for a tournament run as you would be by winning every game by ten points? I don't know the answer to that.

No, we are not on the UConn dynasty level and two excellent recruiting classes in three years does not approach that. (Now, if we can make it 3 of 4 with the 2022 class . . ..) Nevertheless, it does create the possibility of perennial championship-caliber runs for a few years. Gotta start somewhere.

Yes, we are chasing UConn's legacy. Everybody is and the decades of dominance by UCONN will never be matched. Ever. I don't think even UConn will ever achieve its previous level of dominance again, though I think Geno still has championships ahead of him.

Reaction Score
Blowouts are nice. Reasonably close games vs quality opponents don't bother me.

I'd just like for there to be an NCAA tournament going forward. I'm not real interesting in making a claim to all time greatest status.

Fortunate championship #2 would be just fine at this point.

Reaction Score
Blowouts are relaxing but not particularly fun. Winning is the issue - not fun or relaxation. If you blow out the majority of your opponents during the season, are you as prepared for a tournament run as you would be by winning every game by ten points? I don't know the answer to that.

No, we are not on the UConn dynasty level and two excellent recruiting classes in three years does not approach that. (Now, if we can make it 3 of 4 with the 2022 class . . ..) Nevertheless, it does create the possibility of perennial championship-caliber runs for a few years. Gotta start somewhere.

Yes, we are chasing UConn's legacy. Everybody is and the decades of dominance by UCONN will never be matched. Ever. I don't think even UConn will ever achieve its previous level of dominance again, though I think Geno still has championships ahead of him.

I'm beginning to think that going forward for the next few years WCBB will be a two-headed monster, with UConn and South Carolina as the two heads.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Is anyone prepared to make the case that the Big 12 is stronger than the Big East?
Yes.

It's close only if we limit our comparison to just the top 3 teams of each conference. After that it's not really a close call. Plus the BE has an additional weak team at the bottom.

Last year's Massey rankings in parentheses:
  1. Baylor (3) ----- UConn (4)
  2. TCU (26)-------- DePaul (16)
  3. Texas (28)------ Marquette (29)
  4. Iowa St (30)---- Creighton (53)
  5. WVU (38)-------- Seton Hall (54)
  6. Kansas St (40)-- St. John's (57)
  7. Okla. St (42)--- Villanova (72)
  8. TX Tech (52)---- Butler (74)
  9. Oklahoma (69)--- Providence (118)
  10. Kansas (75) ---- Georgetown (!58)
  11. ---------------- Xavier (181)
The Big 12 was actually the #2 conference per Massey last year. No nationally elite teams outside of Baylor, but they had half of their conference concentrated in the 26-42 range and no one outside the top 75.

Reaction Score
I'm beginning to think that going forward for the next few years WCBB will be a two-headed monster, with UConn and South Carolina as the two heads.

I consider the 2022 class to be imperative to our reaching a level clearly above the other top flight programs like Baylor, Stanford, Maryland etcWe have great talent now - as a team. But I want a program not just a team

Reaction Score
Don’t count out Baylor or Stanford! Stanford has some pretty good pieces too

Stanford does have some nice recruiting classes. Need to put them together, but they have the coach to do it. Baylor seems to have taken a small step back.

Reaction Score
Yes.

It's close only if we limit our comparison to just the top 3 teams of each conference. After that it's not really a close call. Plus the BE has an additional weak team at the bottom.

Last year's Massey rankings in parentheses:
  1. Baylor (3) ----- UConn (4)
  2. TCU (26)-------- DePaul (16)
  3. Texas (28)------ Marquette (29)
  4. Iowa St (30)---- Creighton (53)
  5. WVU (38)-------- Seton Hall (54)
  6. Kansas St (40)-- St. John's (57)
  7. Okla. St (42)--- Villanova (72)
  8. TX Tech (52)---- Butler (74)
  9. Oklahoma (69)--- Providence (118)
  10. Kansas (75) ---- Georgetown (!58)
  11. ---------------- Xavier (181)
The Big 12 was actually the #2 conference per Massey last year. No nationally elite teams outside of Baylor, but they had half of their conference concentrated in the 26-42 range and no one outside the top 75.

I think the problem with the Big 12 right now is that they don't have a number 2 team. No one to challenge Baylor at all.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I think the problem with the Big 12 right now is that they don't have a number 2 team. No one to challenge Baylor at all.
Okay, but that doesn't make them any worse than the Big East.

Reaction Score

I wasn't talking about "legacy." If you want to look at it like that- that's fine. But I'm just talking specifically about 2018/2019/2020/2021 S.C. classes and I doubt you'll be completely shutout when 2022 comes in. You'll have an amazing senior class (Boston's sr year) along with your 2021 class may get the sophomore leap. I was just talking about specific seasons - the 2021 and 2022 - and just wanted to get an idea of what the expectations from SC fans have in terms of a certain level of play and your expectations for the next few years. It doesn't appear your expectations won't be anything more than "win as much as possible and a chance to compete." My posts were just curiosity posts. Nothing meant of ill-intent or anything like that.

In terms of your boredom comment by having too many blowouts- - I'll be flippant - are you saying that you'd prefer that your team didn't have too many superstars? Because the more superstars you have the far greater chance your team will be super-great resulting in many, many blowouts. Thus, you'd be very bored I guess with too many superstars? So if you and your fanbase and coaching staff are not interested in that kind of excellence - we'll be happy to take Boston off your hands if that is the case. We'll "suffer" through winning 110-40 games while you can win without her and show your grit. How's that?

In terms of blowouts - UCONN has won between 7-8 titles through complete domination and very few close games.. How did those other teams that played more close games fare against them? Just saying with the 2021 class- depending on how legit the 2/3/4 classification is-- - ofc UCONN and Stanford will be tough (and a surprising tough game here or there)-- but there won't be near as many 15 point games. And it won't be because the competition stinks.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Depaul is significantly better than anyone in the Big 12 apart from Baylor.
I wouldn't call it a significant difference. Are you saying DePaul is a legitimate challenge to UConn for Big East supremacy?

Reaction Score
I wouldn't call it a significant difference. Are you saying DePaul is a legitimate challenge to UConn for Big East supremacy?

No, I’m saying that they are a legitimate top 20 team. Which I can’t say about anyone in the Big 12 (other than Baylor).

Plebe

Reaction Score
No, I’m saying that they are a legitimate top 20 team. Which I can’t say about anyone in the Big 12 (other than Baylor).
But that's not how you worded it. You said about the Big 12, "No one to challenge Baylor at all." This implies your criterion is a bone fide challenger to the top team. Which, clearly, the Big East doesn't have.

And nice cherry-picking of the cutoff point as "top 20". That suits you for last season, but that's certainly not always the case. The previous year, Iowa State was a top 20 team and a #3 seed in the NCAA tournament, while DePaul was only a #6 seed. Texas had two down years as the Aston era ebbed, but through 2018 had an extended run where they were clearly ahead of both DePaul and Marquette. (And just based on how he's already recruited in his first 6 months on the job, I'm confident in saying that Vic will soon have Texas back on the upswing.)

Reaction Score
But that's not how you worded it. You said about the Big 12, "No one to challenge Baylor at all." This implies your criterion is a bone fide challenger to the top team. Which, clearly, the Big East doesn't have.

And nice cherry-picking of the cutoff point as "top 20". That suits you for last season, but that's certainly not always the case. The previous year, Iowa State was a top 20 team and a #3 seed in the NCAA tournament, while DePaul was only a #6 seed. Texas had two down years as the Aston era ebbed, but through 2018 had an extended run where they were clearly ahead of both DePaul and Marquette. (And just based on how he's already recruited in his first 6 months on the job, I'm confident in saying that Vic will soon have Texas back on the upswing.)

I'm not interested in a back and forth on this topic. Don't have a vested interest I'm willing to defend. I'll simply note that I was pretty clear that I'm referring to the Big 12 now, not what it was. I noted that the Big 12, now that Texas and Oklahoma have fallen from where there were, is not a strong conference. As you note, that can change. But I suppose that's true of every conference. Look at how the Pac 12 has gotten much deeper the last few years.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I'm not interested in a back and forth on this topic. Don't have a vested interest I'm willing to defend. I'll simply note that I was pretty clear that I'm referring to the Big 12 now, not what it was. I noted that the Big 12, now that Texas and Oklahoma have fallen from where there were, is not a strong conference. As you note, that can change. But I suppose that's true of every conference. Look at how the Pac 12 has gotten much deeper the last few years.
And even if we are looking at "now" (i.e., end of last season), the Big 12 is still clearly ahead of the Big East when the analysis is conducted top to bottom. The Big East would have just a slight edge at only one spot, which is the #2 spot, but after the top 3 the Big 12 is far better.

Glad that you're not interested in a back and forth on this matter because neither am I :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
And even if we are looking at "now" (i.e., end of last season), the Big 12 is still clearly ahead of the Big East when the analysis is conducted top to bottom. The Big East would have just a slight edge at only one spot, which is the #2 spot, but after the top 3 the Big 12 is far better.

Glad that you're not interested in a back and forth on this matter because neither am I :rolleyes:

And yet you got the last word...:rolleyes:

Plebe

Reaction Score
And yet you got the last word...:rolleyes:
Well, I suppose one major takeaway is that we shouldn't ask a question that we're not wanting to hear the answer to :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Well, I suppose one major takeaway is that we shouldn't ask a question that we're not wanting to hear the answer to :rolleyes:

Nah, I don't mind the answer. Like the thoughts and back and forth from fellow Boneyarders. If the only perspective that one has is one's own, the world gets pretty one dimensional.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Nah, I don't mind the answer. Like the thoughts and back and forth from fellow Boneyarders. If the only perspective that one has is one's own, the world gets pretty one dimensional.
Now that I can agree with! I enjoy the tennis match of perspectives as well. It’s all good and for me it’s part of what makes the Boneyard a fun place.

Reaction Score
I wasn't talking about "legacy." If you want to look at it like that- that's fine. But I'm just talking specifically about 2018/2019/2020/2021 S.C. classes and I doubt you'll be completely shutout when 2022 comes in. You'll have an amazing senior class (Boston's sr year) along with your 2021 class may get the sophomore leap. I was just talking about specific seasons - the 2021 and 2022 - and just wanted to get an idea of what the expectations from SC fans have in terms of a certain level of play and your expectations for the next few years. It doesn't appear your expectations won't be anything more than "win as much as possible and a chance to compete." My posts were just curiosity posts. Nothing meant of ill-intent or anything like that.

In terms of your boredom comment by having too many blowouts- - I'll be flippant - are you saying that you'd prefer that your team didn't have too many superstars? Because the more superstars you have the far greater chance your team will be super-great resulting in many, many blowouts. Thus, you'd be very bored I guess with too many superstars? So if you and your fanbase and coaching staff are not interested in that kind of excellence - we'll be happy to take Boston off your hands if that is the case. We'll "suffer" through winning 110-40 games while you can win without her and show your grit. How's that?

In terms of blowouts - UCONN has won between 7-8 titles through complete domination and very few close games.. How did those other teams that played more close games fare against them? Just saying with the 2021 class- depending on how legit the 2/3/4 classification is-- - ofc UCONN and Stanford will be tough (and a surprising tough game here or there)-- but there won't be near as many 15 point games. And it won't be because the competition stinks.

I did not infer any ill intent from any of your posts - just a desire to discuss our team - which I appreciate. Nevertheless, I am a guest on a board dedicated to discussion of the THE dominant power in women's basketball. As such I need to remain somewhat humble in my fervor for my school.

We have a lot of talent, but not a dominating amount until the 201 class suits up. We have one very highly rated player from our 2018 and four VHRs in the top rated 2019 class. However, our 2020 class contained only one medium high rated player. When we add the 2021 class, we will have 9 VHR players. If we can add 2 or more VHRs for 2022, we will have a roster that has 10 VHRs for Boston's senior season. That is when I have great expectations. A dominating senior laden first string backed up by a powerful second string of sophomores. The 2022 frosh would be gravy.

I expect to add two SC players for 2022 in HG # 8 Talysia Cooper and HG #13 Ashlynn Watkins. We will have 4 open scholarships for that class. If we can can add at least one other top 10, like Betts, Barker, Patterson or Nnaji it will be a third great class. Add two of those? Get outta' here.

Maybe 50 point blowouts could (I just can't say "will") become something of a norm. Don't care. I just wanna' see us win. I do have an expectation (gulp) that our 2019 crew will bring us a championship. I even have hopes of 2! 3 is not in my field of vision. Y'all are still out there with similar talent. Would I like to see 3 or 4 straight? Sure, but that's an unrealistic desire as long as Geno is coaching.

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
I keep coming back to this thread because of the title, forgetting that it's really the South Carolina vs. the World thread. ;)

Reaction Score
I keep coming back to this thread because of the title, forgetting that it's really the South Carolina vs. the World thread. ;)

It's how we live. Just kidding (kinda').

My thoughts are:

SCar has the highest ranked 2021 class as ranked at this moment.

When/if Azi commits to UCon, Scar's class will probably STILL be ranked #1 - by Hoopgurlz (ESPN)

Many, if not all, of the other recruiting services will rank UConn #1 with Azi.

SCar and UConn are both going to have excellent classes. In SCar's case, it adds to and outstanding 2019 class. In UConn's case, it adds to and outstanding 2020 class. In truth, UConn's will still be a great class without Azi - just one recruit short of SCar's foursome. Quantity may be short but quality will still be there. This sets up great potential for future SCar v. UConn matchups - and I pray that the series continues.

Of course, UNC, Notre Dame, Stanford etc also have very good classes.

A Cock gonna' crow! It's genetic.

1604084958191.png

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Maybe the name of the forum should be changed to the South Carolina Forum and everyone else can be guests. I'm not sure fans of South Carolina WBB have another home. This is it!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom