Eric Cobb | The Boneyard

Eric Cobb

Reaction Score
I think if Cobb is willing to be molded and pushed by Hurley, he can be a very important piece to us having a decent year. He's clearly got some skills and some size that our other bigs just don't have, and if they can stop him from pulling Kevin Garnett style fast break runs, limit his fouls, and use his good passing and handles in the right spots, he can really be valuable. We have no height at all, so we need guys like him to use their girth effectively

C

Chief00

I think if Cobb is willing to be molded and pushed by Hurley, he can be a very important piece to us having a decent year. He's clearly got some skills and some size that our other bigs just don't have, and if they can stop him from pulling Kevin Garnett style fast break runs, limit his fouls, and use his good passing and handles in the right spots, he can really be valuable. We have no height at all, so we need guys like him to use their girth effectively

Quite frankly, I agree. Hopefully, Magic Cobb won’t try to be the PG on a break or jack up 3’s. Hurley would shut either down quickly - is my guess. Needs lots of S&C work.

Reaction Score
One instant way for the new staff to show they are much better at coaching than the last staff is to show they can get anything out of Cobb. Then again, clearly the guy never bought in, which lead to his suspension--unless of course the last staff thought his zaniness on the court was a good thing.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Hurley took an absolute nothing overweight recruit Andre Berry and turned him into a pretty good college player.
I'm hoping we can get that type of production out of Cobb. Berry had nice hands though, decent touch as well. But Cobb is bigger, so it'll be interesting to see what Hurley does with him.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Quite frankly, I agree. Hopefully, Magic Cobb won’t try to be the PG on a break or jack up 3’s. Hurley would shut either down quickly - is my guess. Needs lots of S&C work.

If he can downplay the dribbling and highlight his obvious outlet passing aptitude Cobb could be a real interesting piece to this team. First pass to streaking Jalen or Alterique and then watch them open court abuse odd man situations with Sid and others catching and finishing.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I don't think Cobb was really pleased with Kevin, so he's the one player that might have been happy when KO was fired

I DON'T KNOW THIS FOR A FACT, I'M JUST SPECULATING, I HAVE NO SOURCES, just to be clear

Reaction Score
If we took Cobb's strength, passing, and dribbling with Carlton's hands and footwork combined with Kwintin's explosive leaping ability we would have an All-American.

Get these 3 to the morphing machine!

Reaction Score
Hurley took an absolute nothing overweight recruit Andre Berry and turned him into a pretty good college player.
I'm hoping we can get that type of production out of Cobb. Berry had nice hands though, decent touch as well. But Cobb is bigger, so it'll be interesting to see what Hurley does with him.
If he just stopped doing so much and didn’t turn the ball over he could be Berry. But it’s hard to see him making a big enough turnaround from those bad habits.

6.2 turnovers per 40 for a big with a 19% usage rate is absolutely absurd. Might be the worst I’ve ever seen. He needs that to be cut in half at least.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
I like the sounds of Cobb's new attitude. Lets just see if he can stay engaged and focused on what the coaching staff asks of him and does not fall back into his old ways. He displayed good passing ability, especially when flashing to the FT line when facing a zone. He definitely has some talent hopefully the new staff can draw it out of him.

C

Chief00

If he can downplay the dribbling and highlight his obvious outlet passing aptitude Cobb could be a real interesting piece to this team. First pass to streaking Jalen or Alterique and then watch them open court abuse odd man situations with Sid and others catching and finishing.
In that dream - just missing the lights out 3 point shooting dagger.

C

Chief00

If he just stopped doing so much and didn’t turn the ball over he could be Berry. But it’s hard to see him making a big enough turnaround from those bad habits.

6.2 turnovers per 40 for a big with a 19% usage rate is absolutely absurd. Might be the worst I’ve ever seen. He needs that to be cut in half at least.

With those numbers, Cobb is actually a good point guard for the opponent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
When I first saw Cobb he reminded me a ton of Gilvydas Biruta for URI a few years ago. Hurley turned a sort of skilled but not stellar in the post, thick, not that athletic big man into a very useful player. Wouldn't be surprised if we see similar results this year.

Reaction Score
When I first saw Cobb he reminded me a ton of Gilvydas Biruta for URI a few years ago. Hurley turned a sort of skilled but not stellar in the post, thick, not that athletic big man into a very useful player. Wouldn't be surprised if we see similar results this year.
I've seen this comparison a few times, but it's worth noting that even as a freshman at Rutgers, Biruta was good. He was miles ahead of Cobb from the get-go. Hurley got started with him at a much higher point than he will with Cobb.

Gilvydas Biruta College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

August_West

Reaction Score
In that dream - just missing the lights out 3 point shooting dagger.

Nova style spot the 3 on the break.

Yeah it's a dream

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

While I would like him to tone down the Magic Johnson impersonation, I would love to see him throwing outlet passes to start the break off of defensive rebounds. The occasional 3 won't hurt either, if only to pull his defender away from the basket.

August_West

Reaction Score
Cobb really needs to work on his defense. Sometimes he looks glued to the court.

Yeah thats the rub.

Cant take advantage of good outlet passing if he doesnt pull a rebound or is getting scored on.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
If we took Cobb's strength, passing, and dribbling with Carlton's hands and footwork combined with Kwintin's explosive leaping ability we would have an All-American.
Hopefully Hurley can cobble something together.

Reaction Score

Was going to say this and I think Cobb can be much better than what Berry was for URI if he can be reeled in.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom