Emily Engstler waived | The Boneyard

Emily Engstler waived

Reaction Score
If there’s any one who looked pro-ready to me it was Emily Engstler. I hope she catches on somewhere.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Thanks....very much covered on the WNBA thread, also on this board.

Reaction Score
If there’s any one who looked pro-ready to me it was Emily Engstler. I hope she catches on somewhere.
Totally shocked. Emily was totally League ready. This is a shocker. I hope she catches on somewhere as well.

Reaction Score
Totally shocked. Emily was totally League ready. This is a shocker. I hope she catches on somewhere as well.
I’ll be shocked if she isn’t on someone’s roster on opening day. Guess this is what happens when a team drafts 20 players over the span of two years :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
With the hard cap, there will be more players cut who have 1 or 2 years in the league.
You want your end of bench to be young and have possible upside.
Also rookies make less, which means less money on the hard cap.

Reaction Score
I’ll be shocked if she isn’t on someone’s roster on opening day. Guess this is what happens when a team drafts 20 players over the span of two years :rolleyes:
The Connecticut Sun, for one, could use her.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Engstler is SO much fun to watch. I hope she recovers quickly and sticks with a team.

Reaction Score
Engstler is SO much fun to watch. I hope she recovers quickly and sticks with a team.
So true. One of my favorites to watch play basketball. I just love her relentlessness mindset. I hope that she recovers quickly as well. For a player like Emily, not to be in the W, it is a sad commentary. I mean I have a long list of players who I think should be in the W and getting minutes.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
The Connecticut Sun, for one, could use her.
She'd be a perfect backup for Alyssa Thomas. Undersized 4, but strong and relentless on the boards and defense and a good passer.

Reaction Score
Engstler was invited to training camp by Washington Mystics.

Washington is objectively the best defensive team in the WNBA. Natasha Cloud, Ariel Atkins, Brittney Sykes, Delle-Donne and Shakira Austin.

This might be the best fit for her playing style. Hoping she can make the final roster.

Reaction Score
Thought the issue of the back injury was a bunch of bunk. Rooting for Engstler to make the final roster.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Washington is objectively the best defensive team in the WNBA. Natasha Cloud, Ariel Atkins, Brittney Sykes, Delle-Donne and Shakira Austin.

This might be the best fit for her playing style. Hoping she can make the final roster.
Hines-Allen can rivet it up, as well (granted, with steady coaxing). Engstler would be a great addition to this group.

Reaction Score
There is no tougher spot to earn than one in the WNBA. The have a limited number of teams and small rosters so I am not surprised when a player ends up on the outs especially if she is currently not 100%. She is a really scrappy player so I would expect her to land once she is healthy.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Engstler had 4 points and 4 rebounds in 8 minutes this evening. There are a lot of NBA players who would like to have that kind of back injury. :p This is another in a long line of head-scratchers perpetrated by the Fever.

Reaction Score
Engstler had 4 points and 4 rebounds in 8 minutes this evening. There are a lot of NBA players who would like to have that kind of back injury. :p This is another in a long line of head-scratchers perpetrated by the Fever.

I agree. She was going to be in a battle during training camp regardless of the team. Don't understand why Indiana didn't think she could fit into their plans after drafting her last season.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I agree. She was going to be in a battle during training camp regardless of the team. Don't understand why Indiana didn't think she could fit into their plans after drafting her last season.
And, on top of that, the new coach is apparently a defense-oriented coach. Engstler=in-your-face-defense/rebounding/50-50 monster.
Huh :rolleyes::oops:???

The only thing I can possibly figure is the new coach brought along Kristy Wallace from Atlanta, who has some similar aspects to her game, albeit, without the New York city attitude and, perhaps, a better outside jumper. Still, she could've been a Lexie Hall clone, too.
There's a boatload of talent on the Mystics, but Thibault usually knows what he's after.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
And, on top of that, the new coach is apparently a defense-oriented coach. Engstler=in-your-face-defense/rebounding/50-50 monster.
Huh :rolleyes::oops:???
That was the real head-scratcher to me. In an interview a couple of weeks ago, probably regarding the draft, she (maybe it was Lin Dunn) was very clear that they were looking for defense. And then they waive a really good defender. Maybe it's one of those Inigo Montoya moments, "I don't think that word means what you think it means."

It might be tough for her to make it on the Mystics, who are pretty deep in the front court. They do have a couple of "meh" frontcourt players (to me anyway, Stephanie Jones and Tianna Hawkins). Engstler is much more versatile than either of them, IMO her passing sets her apart.

Reaction Score
That was the real head-scratcher to me. In an interview a couple of weeks ago, probably regarding the draft, she (maybe it was Lin Dunn) was very clear that they were looking for defense. And then they waive a really good defender. Maybe it's one of those Inigo Montoya moments, "I don't think that word means what you think it means."

It might be tough for her to make it on the Mystics, who are pretty deep in the front court. They do have a couple of "meh" frontcourt players (to me anyway, Stephanie Jones and Tianna Hawkins). Engstler is much more versatile than either of them, IMO her passing sets her apart.
But Hawkins and Jones have the WNBA experience.

Reaction Score
Emily in only 8 minutes of play, did pretty good (against Minnesota) for a player who was waived for being injured. :cool: The Mystics squad has depth and minutes will be tight, but Engstler gives a team that extra high energy player. A disruptive type of player that can guard and rebound.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
So, Emily Engstler plays the second fewest minutes (13:28) for the Mystics in the game against the Dream. And she makes the most of that time by shooting 4-6 from the floor, including 1-2 from three and 2-2 from the FT line for 11 points. She also grabbed 8 rebounds, second to Tianna Hawkins' 10. Once again, all this production in 13 minutes.

She'll make it hard for the Thibaults to cut her playing like this.

Reaction Score
So, Emily Engstler plays the second fewest minutes (13:28) for the Mystics in the game against the Dream. And she makes the most of that time by shooting 4-6 from the floor, including 1-2 from three and 2-2 from the FT line for 11 points. She also grabbed 8 rebounds, second to Tianna Hawkins' 10. Once again, all this production in 13 minutes.

She'll make it hard for the Thibaults to cut her playing like this.
Emily is a beast! She is the type of player that a team needs, high energy and going to give you 100% on every play.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom