2021 Recruiting: - El Ellis | The Boneyard

2021 Recruiting: El Ellis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Reading the tea leaves a bit here, but this is an interesting Twitter interaction:

My translation...

Davis: I just got an offer from St. John's, yay
Ellis: Take this offer, we can play against each other in the Big East.

Too much extrapolation here or does this have real deal potential???

Side note, Dashawn Davis was a former Seton Hall commit who left for JuCo last April.

1592332665320.png

Reaction Score
Reading the tea leaves a bit here, but this is an interesting Twitter interaction:

My translation...

Davis: I just got an offer from St. John's, yay
Ellis: Take this offer, we can play against each other in the Big East.

Too much extrapolation here or does this have real deal potential???

Side note, Dashawn Davis was a former Seton Hall commit who left for JuCo last April.

View attachment 55451
Nope, you're not looking too much into it.

Reaction Score
He made a very similar "It's On" comment after Davis posted an offer from Norfolk State... so idk

Reaction Score
Texas Tech is great company to be in. They've been unbelievably really successful these past few years under Beard. If he's on Ellis hard, you know the kid is a real talent.

My thoughts exactly. I love the way both Texas Tech and Louisville recruit, so you know this kid is something special.

Reaction Score
Texas Tech is great company to be in. They've been unbelievably really successful these past few years under Beard. If he's on Ellis hard, you know the kid is a real talent.

What's your take on the approach DH needs to pursue to sell Ellis on UConn?
Is it our great facilities?
Is it that DH and his staff's coaching has done a great job developing players?
Our history of great guards who went on to successful pro careers?
Our Big East and National Championship history?
The Big East and the chance to showcase his skills in the Garden?
The UConn fans and the chance to regularly see Chief leaning on a broom?
All of the above?

If it's one of the above, what does your gut say it'll take on Ellis?

Regarding Beard: His first three years were a rocket ride on a higher and higher trajectory but his fourth year was 18-13.
Did he ride up on his predecessor's (Tubby) recruits?
Did he find a way to implement Bobby Knight's philosophies with better athletes? Or was his fourth year just a bump in the road?

Reaction Score
All of the above?

Regarding Beard: His first three years were a rocket ride on a higher and higher trajectory but his fourth year was 18-13.
Did he find a way to implement Bobby Knight's philosophies with better athletes? Or was his fourth year just a bump in the road?

When you've have as many meetings as we have had with Ellis (7? 8? I can't remember), I think it comes down to the relationship they've built with the kid. Does he trust our staff make him comfortable in his new home and challenge him to get to the next level?

By now, Ellis knows all about our set plays, our roster, UConn's history, our plans for him, the competition in the NBE, everything.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
All of the above?

Once again, I don't think you understand how recruits think these things through.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Once again, I don't think you understand how recruits think these things through.

I generally like your posts, but why so snarky? Do you KNOW how EVERY recruit thinks about their recruiting process and what factors they put stock into? Not only that, but as mentioned by another poster, the dude didn't even make any declarations he actually asked questions. Just seems a bit much with the attitude.

Reaction Score
Does Mac McClung have to sit out 2020 season at TT or can he play immediately?? With Moretti going pro .. Both could affect El's decision for or against TT.. Mac says he's going to TT to fine tune his PG skills for the League..

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I generally like your posts, but why so snarky? Do you KNOW how EVERY recruit thinks about their recruiting process and what factors they put stock into? Not only that, but as mentioned by another poster, the dude didn't even make any declarations he actually asked questions. Just seems a bit much with the attitude.

I do know that UConn fans of a certain age have vastly different life experiences and perceptions of different college basketball programs than the 17/18 year olds making these decisions. That poster consistently questions why recruits choose to attend schools that most UConn fans would consider inferior in terms of tradition, alumni success, facilities, etc. Following recruiting can be frustrating for people who don't get why it isn't as clear of a choice for the kids as it would be for them. The sooner people realize this, the less stressful it becomes for them.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
I do know that UConn fans of a certain age have vastly different life experiences and perceptions of different college basketball programs than the 17/18 year olds making these decisions. That poster consistently questions why recruits choose to attend schools that most UConn fans would consider inferior in terms of tradition, alumni success, facilities, etc. Following recruiting can be frustrating for people who don't get why it isn't as clear of a choice for the kids as it would be for them. The sooner people realize this, the less stressful it becomes for them.
Correct which is why we now have to teach recruits about our history. We didn’t have to do that 10 years ago.

Reaction Score
Does Mac McClung have to sit out 2020 season at TT or can he play immediately?? With Moretti going pro .. Both could affect El's decision for or against TT.. Mac says he's going to TT to fine tune his PG skills for the League..
he's a sit out transfer but in an attempt to get a waiver he's been framing the issue re: ewing and gtown drama, as leaving him with no choice but to transfer. who knows what details he gives the ncaa as justification

Last edited:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Following recruiting is one of the least productive time expenditures in human history, led only by spending time reading chat boards about recruits. Guilty of one of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom