2021 Recruiting: - El Ellis JUCO update 5/21/20 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2021 Recruiting: El Ellis JUCO update 5/21/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If anyone else needs to kill time with some full games instead of the 10 min highlights:

Part 1 and 2 of a full game from Feb 15:

Tallahassee Community College vs Northwest Florida State College - Men's Basketball - Part 2 15Feb20

Same team from Jan 11

Tallahassee vs Northwest Florida State College - Men's Basketball - January 4, 2020 - Panhandle

For the Jan 11 game...

8 PTS
5 REB
4 AST

2 TO
0 STL
0 BLK

1/4 FG
2/6 3FG
0/0 FT
  • Actually a MUCH better passer than I would have expected. Does really well penetrating the defense and kicking/dumping the ball from the drop zone. Made the extra pass to find open shooters. Didn’t let the ball stick in his hands too much. He could have excellent assist #s here and a Gaffney-like positive effect on the pace of the offense. Really moves the ball well. His teammates just brick shots and TO the ball on good passes a lot. I’ll eat crow on this--from the highlights I expected a more selfish player than I’m seeing here.
  • Needs some help with his defensive fundamentals. He gets in a stance and totally loses it as soon as his man takes a dribble in the half court. Wonky half-assed closeouts at times instead of getting into the body… needs to stop throwing both hands up on them. Might be a buy-in thing, idk.
  • I wouldn’t expect him to be a particularly good finisher. He seems to be able to go off 1 or 2 feet which is a nice piece, but he doesn’t look for it much even against JUCO comp. Too small to be effective right now and doesn’t know little guy finishing moves (floater, reverse, inside hand etc.) Definitely more of a drive and kick/3 pt shooter. Barely even looks to drive the ball for a score in this game.
  • He has a pretty talented team. A lot of size and pretty good athleticism. Not as skilled as you’d see at a Montverde-type school or something, but he’s getting way better practice experience than recruits at the vast majority of HS’s are.

Reaction Score
  • Actually a MUCH better passer than I would have expected.
  • Needs some help with his defensive fundamentals.
  • I wouldn’t expect him to be a particularly good finisher.
would he be able to replace bouk in the starting lineup in 2021? that's kinda what i was expecting for an incoming junior with his hype. is he a Combo Guard?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
doesnt sound like he would be able to replace bouk in the starting lineup in 2021, which is kinda what i was expecting for an incoming junior with his hype. is he a Combo Guard?

Definitely a point this game. And looks more 6'1 than 6'3 to me. Coming in I thought he'd play more like a scoring guard, but at least this game he looked like he wanted to run the offense and break the press primarily

Nothing screams Bouk replacement to me. A big guard that can get to the rack and draw fouls will need to be a priority for the staff I'd imagine.

Reaction Score
Definitely a point this game. And looks more 6'1 than 6'3 to me. Coming in I thought he'd play more like a scoring guard, but at least this game he looked like he wanted to run the offense and break the press primarily

Nothing screams Bouk replacement to me. A big guard that can get to the rack and draw fouls will need to be a priority for the staff I'd imagine.
so then it seems like it's one of ellis/diggins/blakes at PG and then we gotta hope for one of keels/longingo/dawkins at SG.
surprised that a junior like ellis might want to come in as a 3rd string PG behind cole and gaffney

Reaction Score
so then it seems like it's one of ellis/diggins/blakes at PG and then we gotta hope for one of keels/longingo/dawkins at SG.
surprised that a junior like ellis might want to come in as a 3rd string PG behind cole and gaffney

I imagine the pitch is that two of the three pg’s will always be in the game at the same time...and this doesn’t look like a 3rd string player no matter who is on our roster.

Reaction Score

Obviously just video but the kid has some serious game and creativity to boot. Reminds me of a little more athletic Earl Kelley they way he finds a way to score when he gets in the trees. Gaffney will need to improve his offense to keep this guy on the bench. Hope he does make it tough though.

Reaction Score
Obviously just video but the kid has some serious game and creativity to boot. Reminds me of a little more athletic Earl Kelley they way he finds a way to score when he gets in the trees. Gaffney will need to improve his offense to keep this guy on the bench. Hope he does make it tough though.
A little more athletic Earl Kelley would be Dwayne Wade. Gimme!!

Reaction Score
A little more athletic Earl Kelley would be Dwayne Wade. Gimme!!

Kids got some nice hops which Earl didn’t have. Earl was special I would be happy with just him don’t necessarily need Dwayne. But l like your analogy.

Last edited:

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

Wouldn't that be Tyrese Martin?

Reaction Score
Wouldn't that be Tyrese Martin?

He's more likely to play PF than SG for us. I see him as a SF primarily, but playing at the 4 when we go small. Not a good enough shooter or ballhandler.

A guy Brendan Adams size that can draw fouls at a high level and shooot the 3 would be ideal in my opinion.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score

Closer to 6’1 for sure. Reminds me a lot of Boat.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score

Appreciate the Kelley comp, and not saying Ellis necessarily reminds me of this guy, but isn't it surprising how rarely scoring current day PG's are compared to Chris Smith? I get that he's ancient at this point, but talk about a UConn great. Underestimated athleticism, great shooter. I'm not sure there's a more underappreciated star from the Calhoun era.

Reaction Score
Appreciate the Kelley comp, and not saying Ellis necessarily reminds me of this guy, but isn't it surprising how rarely scoring current day PG's are compared to Chris Smith? I get that he's ancient at this point, but talk about a UConn great. Underestimated athleticism, great shooter. I'm not sure there's a more underappreciated star from the Calhoun era.

Agree well stated. Potentially JCs most under appreciated recruit (in terms of importance/timing) too?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Was always fun seeing Smitty one-on-one..Isolated vs a taller defender.. Shakin' and bakin' to the hoop or for a jumper..After a crossover move.. Wasn't as fast as Kemba..But had a similar bag of tricks..

Reaction Score
Maybe he is under appreciated by the younger fan base. He certainly is not under appreciated by Calhoun or any fan from the mid to late 80s on. JC is on record saying that Chris Smith was the biggest "get" in the program's history. He was the first big fish that we recruited against the big boys and won.

Reaction Score
Agree well stated. Potentially JCs most under appreciated recruit (in terms of importance/timing) too?
Amen. JC repeatedly recognized Chris Smith's importance not only as a player but as someone who put the spotlight on UConn as a place for great players to attend.

Reaction Score

Iowa State lacks the overall talent level of UConn and they have similar road blocks to PT for Ellis. In 21/22, Rasir Bolton will be their no-doubt lead guard and point Tre Jackson will be a junior. Replace Bolton with Cole and Jackson with Gaffney and you get basically the same situation in Storrs.

In summary, Iowa State is not an obviously better landing spot for a guard looking for immediate PT.

Reaction Score
Iowa State lacks the overall talent level of UConn and they have similar road blocks to PT for Ellis. In 21/22, Rasir Bolton will be their no-doubt lead guard and point Tre Jackson will be a junior. Replace Bolton with Cole and Jackson with Gaffney and you get basically the same situation in Storrs.

In summary, Iowa State is not an obviously better landing spot for a guard looking for immediate PT.
this is pretty much why i think jaylen blakes makes the most sense at PG. Cole is running the point for the next 2 years and then Gaffney should as a senior.

Last edited:

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
this is pretty much why i think jaylen blakes makes the most sense at PG. Cole is running the point for the next 2 years and then Gaffney should as a senior.
Blakes is MUCH more of a combo/undersized 2 than a PG. I view him as a Vital type guard, not a primary ball handler.

Reaction Score
Blakes is MUCH more of a combo/undersized 2 than a PG. I view him as a Vital type guard, not a primary ball handler.
then that would make Diggins the only pure PG hurley is heavily recruiting? i'm confused... Hurley's been very vocal about going after BIG athletic shooting guards to replace Bouk, like Keels/Dawkins/Longino, so how does Blakes (or Ellis for that matter) fit into that plan?

Blakes and Ellis seem similar on the surface- CGs that averaged ~5 APG last year and are around 6'1-6'2.

But if Blakes is similar to Vital then hopefully Ellis is similar to Boatright

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Posted today .

Attachments

• 1F0D5A11-E951-42FD-B7FD-A30C043F12F5.jpeg
    1F0D5A11-E951-42FD-B7FD-A30C043F12F5.jpeg
    196.8 KB · Views: 567
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online