Edsall/Hurley Contracts Extended two years... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Edsall/Hurley Contracts Extended two years...

Reaction Score
So far Benedict has shown no reason to not trust his judgment. Hurley obviously makes sense to extend. I was confused why he would extend Edsall until I read his comments. I took it as he understands the optics can be just as important as the results. This move helps recruiting and gives the optics of stability.!

Reaction Score
I’d like to see some improvement in year 5. I know that’s apparently an aggressive timeline. Edsall had no leverage. The right contract was auto extend for one extra year if he wins 4 D1 games.

Reaction Score
I wonder if you guys will be justifying Edsall's contract if he is still here eight years from now and UConn has a 2 and 10 record or has moved to FCS division.

Reaction Score
I wonder if you guys will be justifying Edsall's contract if he is still here eight years from now and UConn has a 2 and 10 record or has moved to FCS division.
There is no real financial commitment on the extension past his current contract. The extension was only given to continue recruiting. I think the consensus is he had to show the next season played. That turned out to be 2021.

Reaction Score
You still haven’t explained what the issue is with a contract extension where there is no financial commitment if UConn lets Edsall go before it expires.

Reaction Score
Even if there is no financial commitment, by delaying approving or rejecting a contract extension it sends a message to Randy and to other UConn coaches: winning is important at least half of the time.

Reaction Score
Why do you think the only way to relay your expectations regarding performance is in the timing of a contract extension? Maybe the AD has had direct conversations with Edsall about performance. Playing around with contracts in public can affect recruiting too.

Reaction Score
1615042333491.gif

Reaction Score
It’s not a 5 year guaranteed contract. UConn can fire him at any time during the contract and it will cost them $0. There is literally no downside to the contract. It can help recruiting without any long term monetary issues if performance isn’t up to p

You still haven’t explained what the issue is with a contract extension where there is no financial commitment if UConn lets Edsall go before it expires.
No downside financially but waht is the upside of Randy Edsall being the coach? Hasn't shown anything since he returned (why he was brought back is beyond me).

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Benedict understands that RE was doing a slow build. To fire him and bring someone else in now just starts a new rebuild. That would mean 4 coaches in 10 yrs and nothing good to show for it. We will never be able to attract 4 stars and big transfers- admissions won't let us take just anyone, so stop thinking someone else is going to come in here and change things around.

Reaction Score
Benedict understands that RE was doing a slow build. To fire him and bring someone else in now just starts a new rebuild. That would mean 4 coaches in 10 yrs and nothing good to show for it. We will never be able to attract 4 stars and big transfers- admissions won't let us take just anyone, so stop thinking someone else is going to come in here and change things around.
In 2015, Bleacher Report noted that

Of the 128 FBS programs, how many do you think have kept the same head coach for the last 10 years?
How about 14? That amounts to only 11 percent of the field.
On average, FBS teams have had 2.65 head coaches during the last 10 years. At one end of the spectrum there are the programs with absolute continuity, while on the other are 19 teams (15 percent) that have switched leaders four-plus times.

In 2017, BusinessInsider reported
of the 130 current FBS programs, 89 (68%) have, or will have, a head coach in 2018 who has been at their current school fewer than five years. The average tenure for NCAA FBS football coaches is 3.8 years.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score

Of the 128 FBS programs, how many do you think have kept the same head coach for the last 10 years?
On average, FBS teams have had 2.65 head coaches during the last 10 years. At one end of the spectrum there are the programs with absolute continuity, while on the other are 19 teams (15 percent) that have switched leaders four-plus times.

of the 130 current FBS programs, 89 (68%) have, or will have, a head coach in 2018 who has been at their current school fewer than five years. The average tenure for NCAA FBS football coaches is 3.8 years.

so what? UConn has a history of long tenured coaches in all sports. It has worked out well for the University.

Reaction Score
so what? UConn has a history of long tenured coaches in all sports. It has worked out well for the University.
Coach PP, Coach Diaco, Randy II -- worked out great? FB is in the sub-basement of the college FBS rankings!

Reaction Score
The key as others have mentioned is there are no financial implications if they fire Edsall. If they did something like add a buyout then it would be absolutely crazy but they didn’t.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
No big deal
It's important the RE2 and UConn have success on the field for the university and to do that you have to be able to recruit without any issues looming over you.

Reaction Score

Those pretty much line up with what we will have he last 10 years of playing. Edsall2 4 years on the field and 4 HCs.

Last edited:

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I'm not sure what everyone is really in a rush here for...look, we are already at the bottom of the barrel. Edsall may not be our answer, tbh he probably isn't. However, we need a foundation somewhere to build off of. We had one after he left and PP started the cracks and Diaco brought a sledgehammer to it. Keeping Edsall on an extended, buyout free deal to maintain recruiting is a no brainer. Let him take the players he has recruited and let them come together and form that foundation. Why restart again after we've suffered through 4 years already. The reset was hit and we're already going nowhere. Why not ride this out another year now that it's been a full roster of his recruits and a full year of work outs. We're an independent, we have no bowl tie ins, we already have a TV deal, we have a schedule set with games against name teams. We are in a spot with nothing to lose by waiting another year.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
If we were going to split with Randy (and I'm not advocating we should have), the time to do it was November 2019. That window has passed. Its nuts to think a message needs to be sent, the message is obvious and hanging thickly in the air. Randy knows in 2021 he needs to show something. Everyone knows. A contract extension with zero buyout is a no brainer and a functional must. At this salary level he is a bargain in D1.

I can't put a certain figure on the win total for 2021; probably need a 4 win season with some very competitive losses & continued good vibes from the staff/roster. Right now support from the players is at an all time high as the make over of the roster/culture is complete.

Reaction Score
Benedict could fire Randy this spring and replace him, even with someone like Bill Clark at UAB. Clark may be cheaper than Randy. Clark has experience in turning around a struggling program. He was Sporting News College Football Coach of the Year. Or find someone else.

Reaction Score
If we were going to split with Randy (and I'm not advocating we should have), the time to do it was November 2019. That window has passed. Its nuts to think a message needs to be sent, the message is obvious and hanging thickly in the air. Randy knows in 2021 he needs to show something. Everyone knows. A contract extension with zero buyout is a no brainer and a functional must. At this salary level he is a bargain in D1.

I can't put a certain figure on the win total for 2021; probably need a 4 win season with some very competitive losses & continued good vibes from the staff/roster. Right now support from the players is at an all time high as the make over of the roster/culture is complete.
Agree for the most part (he should have been fired in November, 2019) but he is certainly no a bargain, not with his performance.

He has been an unmitigated disaster in round 2 but he without a doubt builds culture and kids in the program have character.

The next coach has to be a home run. And for this program home run doesn’t mean what it does at other programs. It means a modern offense and markedly improved recruiting (I think running a fun offense will result in better offensive recruits).

Reaction Score
Benedict could fire Randy this spring and replace him, even with someone like Bill Clark at UAB. Clark may be cheaper than Randy. Clark has experience in turning around a struggling program. He was Sporting News College Football Coach of the Year. Or find someone else.
Find a young hungry coach willing to bet on himself. Do a better job finding and interviewing candidates. That’s what needs to be done.

Don’t care if coach leaves after 4 years for better job, just care that the program is in better place than when they started.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Agree for the most part (he should have been fired in November, 2019) but he is certainly no a bargain, not with his performance.

He has been an unmitigated disaster in round 2 but he without a doubt builds culture and kids in the program have character.

The next coach has to be a home run. And for this program home run doesn’t mean what it does at other programs. It means a modern offense and markedly improved recruiting (I think running a fun offense will result in better offensive recruits).

Yes Randy makes more than the MAC coaches, but relative to the top 60 programs (and we want to be a top 60 program), he's at the bottom, especially when you consider the cost of the buyouts for most of the others.

I wrote a post rehashing the situation for the 3940 time and then I deleted it. Quite simply its Randy ball in 2021 and as a fan of the program I sure hope it works. I'd like to get back to winning.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

I'm not sure you appreciate how coaches view these jobs. The so called "good ones" are good for a reason, they know which jobs are a ladder to better place and which are a chute to the dumpster. The good ones know which jobs set them up for success and which will likely have them dumped hard in four years. Right now you can't just sit here and think that every good coach making less somewhere else will just come running here for more coin, even a lot more coin. Its very much about "fit" and what will fit at UConn is someone that knows how to run a football program at a university that cuts zero corners for academics, recruiting shenanigans and on campus student life. A coach that knows how to take athletic undersized kids and coach them up big time because no matter what you do - UConn will never get four star kids. And a coach that has some clue about football culture in the northeast (whatever that is, its not the same as the south).

A lot of coaches are not interested in the unique challenges of UConn football. They fear the set up.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom