Duke is horrendous | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Duke is horrendous

Reaction Score
Honestly, I'm not sure K or the NCAA wants them in this year. They have to know how bad they are, and being Duke, whoever get them in the first round will be more hyped to play them, blood in the water. Does K or the NCAA really want everyone to see their golden child get potentially thrashed in the 1st round? Might be less embarrassing and protecting of Duke's image to leave them out.
Oh. So now if they don't make it it's also evidence of an NCAA conspiracy to protect Duke.

No matter what happens, Duke was protected by the NCAA!

Reaction Score
Oh. So now if they don't make it it's also evidence of an NCAA conspiracy to protect Duke.

No matter what happens, Duke was protected by the NCAA!
But is it really hard to believe the NCAA protects them? They have more than proved they are willing to look the other way and cut their blue bloods a lot of slack for infractions that they otherwise rake programs over the coals for.

Reaction Score
But is it really hard to believe the NCAA protects them? They have more than proved they are willing to look the other way and cut their blue bloods a lot of slack for infractions that they otherwise rake programs over the coals for.
I think we're talking about two different things. Programs like Duke have certainly had the NCAA look the other way in terms of long-term punishment.

The the selection committee is a bit different and they've proven in the past that they wouldn't take a blue-blood that was borderline. The selection committee is a variety of ADs and commissioners from around the country.

Reaction Score
I think we're talking about two different things. Programs like Duke have certainly had the NCAA look the other way in terms of long-term punishment.

The the selection committee is a bit different and they've proven in the past that they wouldn't take a blue-blood that was borderline. The selection committee is a variety of ADs and commissioners from around the country.
Point taken. But I do wonder if K himself would rather not make the tourney this year.

Reaction Score
If they somehow get to the ACC Final, that’s four consecutive games and they’ll be in.

Reaction Score
Point taken. But I do wonder if K himself would rather not make the tourney this year.
I wouldn't be surprised. He has an easy excuse to explain why he missed out, so it won't hurt him recruiting.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I see that UNC is in by most accounts, but looking at their tournament resume, they have one really good win, over FSU, and one meh win over Louisville but by a big margin. Both of those games were at home. They have a bad home loss to Marquette, and a meh loss to Syracuse. Other than that it's chalk. An early loss to Syracuse in the ACC tournament and they're 13-10 overall. Syracuse's resume would be stronger.

In a just world Duke, UNC and Kentucky would all miss the tourney this year.

Reaction Score
If they somehow get to the ACC Final, that’s four consecutive games and they’ll be in.
That's a different team, resume-wise, right? They'd have to have beaten Louisville-FSU and a third team. You'd probably look at their blind resume and it wouldn't be so bad.

But this team just got trounced by 20 by a mediocre UNC team.

Reaction Score
That's a different team, resume-wise, right? They'd have to have beaten Louisville-FSU and a third team. You'd probably look at their blind resume and it wouldn't be so bad.

But this team just got trounced by 20 by a mediocre UNC team.
Even still, that’s a 15-11 team... does any 15-11 team deserve to compete for a national championship?

Reaction Score
Even still, that’s a 15-11 team... does any 15-11 team deserve to compete for a national championship?
The committee has sent worse teams to the tournament.

And you know that records don't tell the whole story. Look at some of the other trash teams on the bubble. There isn't some line every team has to cross to make the tournament, you just have to be better than those you're competing against.

They're not getting in because they aren't winning 4 straight, let alone 5. And even if they do I'm not convinced they'd get in.

Reaction Score
The committee has sent worse teams to the tournament.

And you know that records don't tell the whole story. Look at some of the other trash teams on the bubble. There isn't some line every team has to cross to make the tournament, you just have to be better than those you're competing against.

They're not getting in because they aren't winning 4 straight, let alone 5. And even if they do I'm not convinced they'd get in.
I was gonna say, it wouldn’t be as bad as Cuse in ‘16 but still extraordinarily bad. I’m not sure how many teams have gotten in on a .58 winning percentage.

Hmm. So when I see Boise State and Colorado State schedules compared to Dukes, I see your point about the bubble. We will see how Michigan State and Xavier do in conference tournaments too

I’m glad to agree that I think Duke isn’t winning 4 straight, unless there are some upsets earlier in the bracket.

Reaction Score
I was gonna say, it wouldn’t be as bad as Cuse in ‘16 but still extraordinarily bad. I’m not sure how many teams have gotten in on a .58 winning percentage.

Hmm. So when I see Boise State and Colorado State schedules compared to Dukes, I see your point about the bubble. We will see how Michigan State and Xavier do in conference tournaments too

I’m glad to agree that I think Duke isn’t winning 4 straight, unless there are some upsets earlier in the bracket.
They have to beat Louisville and Florida State is there after that with a double bye. It would be the semis where maybe they run into an upset.

Reaction Score
Puke could go 4-1 in the ACC tourney which would put them at 15-12, 0.556.

thumb.gif

Reaction Score
They have to beat Louisville and Florida State is there after that with a double bye. It would be the semis where maybe they run into an upset.
Yeah, I know, and I don’t think they are making a 4-win run unless that fourth win has to be Notre Dame or something. Maybe they can beat Louisville and eke one out over FSU; maybe not, I haven’t watched them all year

Reaction Score
Yeah, I know, and I don’t think they are making a 4-win run unless that fourth win has to be Notre Dame or something. Maybe they can beat Louisville and eke one out over FSU; maybe not, I haven’t watched them all year
They're not good. But the ACC is down, so it's not implausible.

But those people saying 1-1 or 2-1 are getting them in are lazy.

Reaction Score
If chalk holds they'd play BC, Louisville, Florida State, Va Tech, Virginia. How funny would it be to lose to BC in the Tuesday afternoon game.

Very Funny Reaction GIF

Reaction Score
If chalk holds they'd play BC, Louisville, Florida State, Va Tech, Virginia. How funny would it be to lose to BC in the Tuesday afternoon game.

Very Funny Reaction GIF
I'm certainly going to hold my nose and pull for BC.

Reaction Score
They're not good. But the ACC is down, so it's not implausible.

But those people saying 1-1 or 2-1 are getting them in are lazy.
Nahhh I saw today Lunardi still had them as a 24% chance of getting in and at first I thought it was crazy after that last loss, but he said if they make a “deep” run they can be in. What he means by that, in a 5-game tournament, I’m not sure. I think they have to beat FSU to even be on the bubble.

Reaction Score
Nahhh I saw today Lunardi still had them as a 24% chance of getting in and at first I thought it was crazy after that last loss, but he said if they make a “deep” run they can be in. What he means by that, in a 5-game tournament, I’m not sure. I think they have to beat FSU to even be on the bubble.
He tweeted yesterday they'd have to win all 5 games to be back on the bubble

Reaction Score
He tweeted yesterday they'd have to win all 5 games to be back on the bubble
Dang okay then

Could’ve sworn I heard something different this morning but hey maybe it was a more optimistic take

Reaction Score
I just looked at player rankings they landed over the last 3 years, 1,2, 6, 12, many in the 20’s and 30’s. Imagine if Hurley or anyone else had that level of talent to draw on and develop.

Reaction Score
Not trying to derail the thread, but I would like some clarification about a post of mine that got removed/deleted from 2:30 yesterday. If a Mod or possibly someone in the know could let me in on what is off limits as far as my opinions go, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and back to Duke being horrendous.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom