Dudleytown??? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Dudleytown???

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
A favorite for me. Uncle Pecos

I have a far too long anecdote on this but briefly, that episode holds a very special place in my heart due to my late father and then three year old son watching it together some 24 years ago.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Huntington? I think you mean Shelton!

I remember partying on Sawmill City Road in high school. I'm glad I didn't know about them at the time.
Shelton and Monroe were both part of Huntington at one point. Huntington is now part of Shelton. But when I grew up, everything between 110 and 108 West of Soundview was called Huntington.

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
Interesting.

In my recollection, there was "Pygmy Land" out by the reservoir along Farmington Avenue past Mountain Road in West Hartford, nearly into Farmington.

On its east-west axis, this roughly runs the north-south line that I-84 goes as it connects Farmington to New Britain to the west of Metacomet Ridge, including going through where the UConn Health campus is, all of which was undeveloped or just at its beginning 50 years ago.
Interesting article about it here if you're curious

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So for those of us for whom this all new, ranking from definitely exist to urban legend we go:

Oniontown
Jackson Whites
Pygmyland / Pygmytown
Melon Heads

And then haunted you have a haunted location, but no urban legend of current residents?

Dudleytown

Reaction Score

In my hometown growing up of Meriden they had Undercliff and it was thought to be haunted. After years of homing tuberculosis and mental patients of all kinds, rumors of torture and suffering it had dwindled down to housing just kids who were having drug related issues as well as just some bad kids not quite ready for jail but needed to be locked in and evaluated.

Well they only used a portion of this huge facility by the late 70's but they wanted people to stay off the grounds as well as being sure no one was trying to break in to either steal old stuff or even potentially make it a home if they were homeless. So they had a security staff in which 2 people would be on nights from 11-7am and take turns walking the grounds as well as the hallway. These people had to use a key to turn on their carry around to prove what time you hit each area and didn't miss anything. The other had to stay at the main entrance to assure no one was coming in other that those authorized.

I can assure you it was more fun to sit at the main entrance to rather than walk around these dark hallways with open rooms, old beds and old medical products no longer used for patients, occasionally falling or making creeping sounds. And you'd have to leave one building and go to another outside and walk down the hill to hit your last key spot then head back. It was an hourly check and me and a buddy would take turns. Yeah I heard the rumors and I'm not going to tell you I wasn't always waiting for that one time. And there were noises, but the building was old so of course there were. Having said that I never knew they uncovered a body of a famous serial killer on the grounds either as seen in the article above. I will say this, my buddy and I were both going to a Community College (we worked Wed and Fri nights only) and played baseball and hoops together, but rarely did we walk into work the night shift without hitting Gatsby's in Middletown, the Pumpernickel Pub in Wallingford or the Brookside Cafe in Meriden before beginning our detail. Only time we didn't was when we had a baseball game or doubleheader the next morning somehwere. But no matter, the darkness and the history made it fun, but also both of us flew through the points we were required to oversee.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
How about the old Phelps Mansion on Elm Street in Stratford? Spent a lot of time around there and the adjacent Shakespeare Theater as a kid. Legendary haunted house; used to be Goody Bassett's house and it was believed that she was the one who haunted it. She was hanged for being a witch in 1651. I believe she was hanged on West Broad Street.

Definitely not an urban legend.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Great stuff. Thanks.

As I look at the maps, I can see that the Farmington Reservoir was where we supposed to be looking, not the southern-most MDC Reservoir in West Hartford.

In the late 1960s-70d, many things were going on where West Hartford, Farmington, and New Britain met up: Torza's driving range being developed into West Farms Mall; the multi-level highway stack that was supposed to connect I-84 to the canceled I-291 highway that was supposed to circle Hartford so that through traffic could avoid downtown to shift from I-84 or I-91; UConn's Medical School, etc.

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
I was at UConn when that show “Fear” was on MTV where they featured an old mental hospital somewhere in CT. We attempted to try and go once but, being idiots, the police were obviously on high alert around Halloween time. Seemed like a creepy spot.

As far as on campus, I was sentenced to living in Sprague my freshman year and there were definitely some creepy occurrences there.

TerryBoyz

Get four fruits!
Reaction Score
When the warrens did their shows at UConn I believed they confirmed sprague had some activity or is haunted. This was mid 90s — anyone else hear or read the same?

TerryBoyz

Get four fruits!
Reaction Score
So, Melonheads are real?

At least real in the sense there are backwoods ass people who rarely make contact with society or is it 100% urban legend?

To hell with craft beer or apizza. Next time I'm in CT I have find some of these spots.
Wasn’t there a thread about the boneyarders opening a pizza place a while back?
Dudleytown Craft Beer and Pizza has a nice ring to it.

Reaction Score
I was at UConn when that show “Fear” was on MTV where they featured an old mental hospital somewhere in CT. We attempted to try and go once but, being idiots, the police were obviously on high alert around Halloween time. Seemed like a creepy spot.

As far as on campus, I was sentenced to living in Sprague my freshman year and there were definitely some creepy occurrences there.
Was it Norwich State Hospital? That place has been featured on a few paranormal tv shows. Definitely a creepy spot.

Reaction Score

I assume the one in Norwich? Been on so so so many ghost shows. They actually featured it prominently in the TV adaptation of the Wally Lamb novel, I Know This Much Is True - which was set in Norwich (sort of).

Reaction Score
When the warrens did their shows at UConn I believed they confirmed sprague had some activity or is haunted. This was mid 90s — anyone else hear or read the same?
I take issue with your use of the word "confirmed."

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score

I have vaguely heard of the Warrens but just from living in Sprague, I can confirm that there were some weird things that occurred. I am a skeptic to all types of ghosts, angels, etc. but one event definitely scared the hell out of me. I was entertaining a lady friend in the basement study lounge late one night when my roommate was sleeping and we both clearly heard a very loud screaming noise right outside the window. This was very late, 2-3 AM, so it wasn’t like many if anyone was up so we looked outside and didn’t see anything. That all but ended my attempt at a late night rendezvous so we started heading back up to my dorm and in the stairwell we again heard the screaming again but it sounded like it was inside this time. Sprague was not a party dorm by any means as it was mostly single dorms, people who screwed up on the dorm request form, or poor athletes like myself whose coach thought it fun to spread the freshmen around campus so it’s not like there were ragers going on. We woke my roommate up and he hadn’t heard a thing and neither did anyone else on my floor which was impossible as this screaming was loud. I talked to the 2 RAs on the floor and neither had heard anything nor was there any complaint to the Resident director who lived on the first floor with his wife/kids. From that point on I refused to go to the basement lounge, late night rendezvous be damned.

It was an old building so there were always creaking noises, doors slamming in the middle of the night, showers turning on randomly but the screaming incident was the one incident that really had me rattled.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
The Warrens "confirmed" supernatural activity in many places. But when you make your living promoting that stuff, you don't do yourself any good proving it false.

Their own house was made into a museum of the occult. But it generated huge amounts of traffic and got tons of complaints from the neighbors. It's in a residential zone, and got shut down for zoning violations. IT still draws a lot of tourists, and tons of teenagers. Especially around Halloween.

Reaction Score
We had Downes Road on the Hamden/Woodbridge town line. It was up behind my parent's house, basically, it was water company property, no houses and a dirt road. It has hosted anything from inbred cannials to the imfamous Downes Road monster. All this, and only ten minutes from downtown New Haven!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Not that I am aware of. One kid that I visited with was saying it was before we arrived but he never came back to the car so no evidence either way.

There's a certain logic to it.

Reaction Score

I know they did an episode at Fairfield Hills in Newtown. We went a bunch of times in high school. Nothing ever happened, just creepy broke down buildings. They've done a lot of work there lately and the campus is pretty nice now.

I remember hearing something about Dudleytown that the population had all died of mercury poisoning or something like that. I think the edge of it backs up to some of the trails at Mohawk Mountain. Which made night skiing kind of creepy to thinking about when we'd go.

Reaction Score
I always thought MTV’s Fear was Fairfield Hills in Newtown but they might have went to Norwich State Hospital as well.

How about the White Lady at Union Cemetery in Easton? There’s also Hannah Cranna in Trumbull/Monroe.

Reaction Score
We had Downes Road on the Hamden/Woodbridge town line. It was up behind my parent's house, basically, it was water company property, no houses and a dirt road. It has hosted anything from inbred cannials to the imfamous Downes Road monster. All this, and only ten minutes from downtown New Haven!

Yup… Downs Road, Hamden – Damned Connecticut

Reaction Score
If you want creepy and scary in CT - check out the river under Hartford - there are a bunch of videos of people who have done it.
I'm not recommending this, just sayin' it looks terrifying

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom