Dudleytown??? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Dudleytown???

Reaction Score
I always thought MTV’s Fear was Fairfield Hills in Newtown but they might have went to Norwich State Hospital as well.

How about the White Lady at Union Cemetery in Easton? There’s also Hannah Cranna in Trumbull/Monroe.
Like 20 years ago, I used to work in the building that was next to Hannah Cranna's grave. The place was legit haunted. Many people I knew had experiences. And I myself had an experience of seeing someone in the corner of my eye and when I turned my head to face him, he wasn't there. This wasn't a case of me misidentifying something else as a human figure either, I saw him well enough to describe his shoes, his pants, his shirt, etc.

Reaction Score
Like 20 years ago, I used to work in the building that was next to Hannah Cranna's grave. The place was legit haunted. Many people I knew had experiences. And I myself had an experience of seeing someone in the corner of my eye and when I turned my head to face him, he wasn't there. This wasn't a case of me misidentifying something else as a human figure either, I saw him well enough to describe his shoes, his pants, his shirt, etc.
Do you really find it more likely that you were in the presence of a supernatural being as opposed to, for example, the entire experience of perceiving this figure being fabricated inside your head? This is the question I have for every supernatural claim. Sure, I can't prove such claims are false, but I can usually come up with a couple plausible explanations that don't defy physics or phenomenological precedent. I can't understand why people insist on the extraordinary version when there are almost always explanations based on understood principles available.

Reaction Score
Do you really find it more likely that you were in the presence of a supernatural being as opposed to, for example, the entire experience of perceiving this figure being fabricated inside your head? This is the question I have for every supernatural claim. Sure, I can't prove such claims are false, but I can usually come up with a couple plausible explanations that don't defy physics or phenomenological precedent. I can't understand why people insist on the extraordinary version when there are almost always explanations based on understood principles available.
There is a well known phenomena where the human brain is hard wired to see faces and/or figures within patterns of visual noise. This is probably an evolutionary left-over from our days facing apex predators in the jungle. There is also the premise that something that's not seen clearly can present itself along the path of what our preconceived expectations are (i.e. if you expect a ghost & you see something fuzzy out of the corner of your eye, your mind will register it as a ghost). I'm aware of these things. This was not that. I was not expecting to see anything scary. I assumed that this guy was just a dude that wanted something. And at that particular time, I hadn't even heard any of the "stories" yet. Also, this wasn't a fleeting flicker that I saw. I saw him in perfect detail. He wore white sneakers, blue jeans and a long-sleeve light blue shirt with a white t-shirt underneath. This was not a bunch of boxes stacked roughly in the silhouette of a man that gave me a jump scare lol.

I am also curious about why you think that this defies phenomenological precedent. Literally millions of people have had similar experiences. As for the "physics" part, perhaps you should look into this deeper. In the last 10 years, there's been a general movement away from the idea of strict materialism. The only claim i make is that I saw something that could not be explained by our present understanding. Was it a ghost? I don't know. It may sound paradoxical, but I'm not even sure I believe in ghosts (or at least, the conventional explanation of ghosts) but i do know that this was something more than swamp gas.

Reaction Score
The entrance to Dudleytown area is 5 minutes from my house, so I walk around there now and again, but the actual site of the settlement is a bit of a hike to get to. And trails aren’t marked to get you there, so you have to know which direction to head beforehand.
Awhile back a teenager went missing from a group on a Halloween trek, and a search team with several helicopters had to go in to help. The person wound up being fine, just lost. Its dark dense forest, easy to lose your way. Local law enforcement definitely tries to discourage “ghost hunters” from roaming around.
But yeah, it’s definitely haunted.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
i agree. completely. it's all bogus since day one (don't look at the little man behind the curtain!)
and then they invented cell phone cameras. still waiting.
i once spent a good deal of time learning aboot magic/ghost/religious 'scams' of the ancients. good stuff. worked pretty well for them at times, till someone called shenanigans. sometimes, it took 100s, even a 1000 years or more, till someone called it out. some still exist today.
a mind is a turrible thing to waste.
on the udder hand, there is a sanity claus. i believe, mister!

hey! it's 'midsummer's eve' times around now, eerie! im heading out to catch me a ghost, or tinkerbell. i gotta move quick to catch this season, cuz the next season doesn't start until all hallows.

Last edited:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
this thread needs a beat, mos def.
i was going to put up the 'opening number' from beetlejuice the musical (still gettin paid! smart folks, there), which reopened on broadway recently, but i won't. it's turrible. stinks on ice.
this is better. it's got a lady with fruit on her head, some guy with 3 inch stripes on his pants, and a skull!

oh yeah, i believe you! ok, i believe you!
talking pumpkins? only if you are Linus. he gets a free pass cuz he's cool. a bit nutz, but cool nonetheless.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There is a well known phenomena where the human brain is hard wired to see faces and/or figures within patterns of visual noise. This is probably an evolutionary left-over from our days facing apex predators in the jungle. There is also the premise that something that's not seen clearly can present itself along the path of what our preconceived expectations are (i.e. if you expect a ghost & you see something fuzzy out of the corner of your eye, your mind will register it as a ghost). I'm aware of these things. This was not that. I was not expecting to see anything scary. I assumed that this guy was just a dude that wanted something. And at that particular time, I hadn't even heard any of the "stories" yet. Also, this wasn't a fleeting flicker that I saw. I saw him in perfect detail. He wore white sneakers, blue jeans and a long-sleeve light blue shirt with a white t-shirt underneath. This was not a bunch of boxes stacked roughly in the silhouette of a man that gave me a jump scare lol.

I am also curious about why you think that this defies phenomenological precedent. Literally millions of people have had similar experiences. As for the "physics" part, perhaps you should look into this deeper. In the last 10 years, there's been a general movement away from the idea of strict materialism. The only claim i make is that I saw something that could not be explained by our present understanding. Was it a ghost? I don't know. It may sound paradoxical, but I'm not even sure I believe in ghosts (or at least, the conventional explanation of ghosts) but i do know that this was something more than swamp gas.
It is wild to make the claim that I bolded. What reason(s) do you have to think that mankind's current understanding of reality can't account for your experience. Again, just to illustrate my point, I go back to the possible explanation of the perception being mostly or completely created inside your brain. Such an occurrence is completely understood to be a thing that human brains do, and to claim this as an explanation is not extraordinary at all. Alternatively, perhaps there really was a person there, and, for whatever reason, you perceived the time between when you first noticed him and the time you turned to look in that direction to be too short for him to have walked away, when in reality it was long enough for him to do so. This is another ordinary claim. I do not claim that either of these example explanations are likely correct. I am merely saying that they are plausible, and your claim is vastly less so.

Regarding precedent, I have never heard of reports like yours being substantiated, but I have heard of plenty of such accounts being debunked. If you take anecdotal reports of such experiences to be evidence of phenomenon unexplainable by our current scientific understanding, then we need take this conversation back a few steps and deal with that.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
yup, u got ur snakes, skulls, ladies dancing around in their underwear, and guys on fire without exploding. i saw a pal of mine once, a tree climber, have flames shoot up his pants and onto his back, cuz the poor fellow was a good guy, but a nut. he did that move with a lighter and, umm, his expelled gas, and being a tree guy, of course his clothes were full of bar oil, and the like - poof! he was fine. rolled around on the ground, laughing the whole time. yup, not a bad person, but they did find him dead in the New Haven train station, o'd. now, he had demons, and was always the first one to talk aboot seeing big foot, or puff the magic dragon. a steady diet of heroin, meth, and whatever is in your bathroom cabinet can do that to ya. the six pack breakfasts didn't help either.
it's just the beasts below your bed,
in your closets, in your head!

remember to always sleep with one eye open,
and grip your pillow tight.
new lyrics:
exit logic,
enter magic.
off to looney, looney land.

Reaction Score
Yup… Downs Road, Hamden – Damned Connecticut

One afternoon me and my buddy were cruising along on Downes RD helped along by a few joints and a few beers, when we heard a car roaring on the road behind us. It got louder and louder but I could see no car in my rear view, so I stepped on the gas to speed but the car wouldn't go any faster. that was still no car to be seen, and it sounded like it was on top of us, so me and my bud were starting to panic I believe we were screaming about the Downes Road monster. I looked down and my gear indicater was in neutral....the roaring car I heard was my own. Somewhere I hit a rock that shifted me into neutral. W e drank some more beer, we needed it. LOL!

Reaction Score
It is wild to make the claim that I bolded. What reason(s) do you have to think that mankind's current understanding of reality can't account for your experience.
Well, mankind does have an explanation within it's current understanding. It's called a "ghost". Again, I'm not saying it was a ghost. But it seems like you have zeroed in on a prosaic explanation & nothing else.
Again, just to illustrate my point, I go back to the possible explanation of the perception being mostly or completely created inside your brain. Such an occurrence is completely understood to be a thing that human brains do, and to claim this as an explanation is not extraordinary at all.
I agree that everything we "see" is filtered by the brain. Whatever it is that I saw, I don't think it was like an actual physical thing in the room. If there was a video camera there recording, I don't necessarily think it would have recorded anything unusual. BUT, that doesn't mean that there wasn't anything there. The brain takes information from our sensory organs and constructs the visual world that we experience around us. Something was sensed in a certain spot in the room and that's the way that my brain represented it.
Alternatively, perhaps there really was a person there, and, for whatever reason, you perceived the time between when you first noticed him and the time you turned to look in that direction to be too short for him to have walked away, when in reality it was long enough for him to do so. This is another ordinary claim. I do not claim that either of these example explanations are likely correct. I am merely saying that they are plausible, and your claim is vastly less so.
The things you list don't match up with what I experienced. Maybe somebody slipped me some LSD. Maybe I was secretly hypnotized into seeing a ghost by a rogue hypnotist. Perhaps the military was testing a hologram machine on random civilians. It seems like you want to shoehorn in any explanation as long as it fits in with your expectations about the world. It's not entirely your fault, because it's not like I gave 30 paragraphs of fine detail about the event and of all the ways I tried debunking what i saw, because believe me, I definitely tried debunking this. I was very motivated. I did NOT want to feel like I was working in a "haunted" place.

When you say "....they are plausible, and your claim is vastly less so", that is very true within a specific world-view: reductive materialism. If it's your choice to follow that, that's fine. But don't confuse that with actual science. There are very strong academic arguments against materialism in both the worlds of science and philosophy.
Regarding precedent, I have never heard of reports like yours being substantiated, but I have heard of plenty of such accounts being debunked. If you take anecdotal reports of such experiences to be evidence of phenomenon unexplainable by our current scientific understanding, then we need take this conversation back a few steps and deal with that.
This depends on your definition of "substantiated". It also depends on who is doing the substantiating. It also assumes that this phenomena, whatever it may be, is even substantiate-able in the classic empirical sense.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Our house on Northwood Dr. was less than a mile from Union Cemetary, and I had never even heard of the White Lady when we lived there. That's probably a good thing.

Reaction Score
I can only say Chris McKinnell told me not to go there. So I never did.

Chris Mckinnel lived 3 houses away from me in Newtown back in 1973-1976.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom