Drummond to the Nets? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Drummond to the Nets?

Reaction Score
Evan Roberts from WFAN (one of the few true Nets fans to exist before the Durant signing... They should seriously rebrand. The Nets??) called Drummond a dinosaur because his game doesn't fit today's game (I disagree), but did say signing him would be a great move. He saw it as just this year, not a long-term contract.

Reaction Score
I believe most teams have to match Drummonds contract, making him a difficult trade piece. Celtics have a huge trade exception though (which I think would be applicable? Not sure how it works exactly lol), he would be a great fit there, especially given how the Cavs exposed the Nets defensive woes with big men. Hopefully ainge makes the right decision here.

Reaction Score
The Cavs would have to take back $23 mil in salary match (assuming they're trading him to a contender) to dump Drummond. So at most they would save 6 mil over the course of the year (so probably closer to 2-3 million pro-rated). They can potentially save more than that by Drummond agreeing to a buy-out of less than his remaining contract.

The deviation to that would be trading into a trade exception as mentioned above. It's possible this leak is a way to signal to those teams with exceptions to make better offers or else.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
The Cavs got Allen from the Nets for free, now we know why. Love that Andre will finally be on a winning team, my Nets.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
League sources saying only matter of time until Drummond secures a buy out from Cavs and joins the Nets... If this is true, I don't know how I feel. Wish he went to the Celts...

Kyrie/Harris/Harden/KD/Drummond.
Kyrie is gone from the Nets in due time

Reaction Score
I'd love to see Andre win a Championship. The Nets might be just the place with all the talent they've assembled.

Reaction Score
What? What exactly is Drummond doing wrong? Your post makes no sense.

He’s not doing anything wrong but to be able to do this, him the team whatever is ridiculous period. You know I always feel better about posts that make no sense to you because I could care less what you think most of the time seriously. I’m nervous that I’m stupid if you agree with me SJ.

Reaction Score
you are so so dumb. front offices can trade you at any time this is a two way street. foh

I’m dumb, lol. The clueless brainiac himself on the chat room. Lol appreciate your thoughts .

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
it's more complicated than that. the cavs likely will NOT make the playoffs and have three options with drummond: (1) let him play out his contract on a losing team and then leave for nothing, (2) trade him for 25 cents on the dollar, (3) buy him out as a favor to his agent. lots of teams choose the third option willingly.

The only reason #3 is viable is because he can‘t be traded unless Cleveland takes back similar salary. It isn’t likely that anybody who wants him has $29m is dead weight to trade, and Cleveland won’t want any longer term contracts.

There should be a way to trade a guy who you bought out, to avoid this situation. Maybe there is.

Reaction Score
LOL NBA is a joke now. Players doing what they want when they want rather tan playing out their contracts and waiting for free agency. Sorry this is ridiculous no matter ex-Husky or not. I mean I'm a Celts fan and even if he went there this is ridiculous.
So it was better when they had no control and teams could ship them wherever or whenever they want? The Cavs signed him to that contract knowing they would trade him at some point. No one loses in this deal.

Miami might get involved. Play Bam at the 4.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
His beef sounds like it's more with the NBA than Drummond in particular. It has kind of become a league of the have and have nots. Players buddy up on a select few teams and the rest of the teams will mostly struggle. I don't blame the players, but from a competitive balance standpoint it almost feels like in recent years, the small market teams can be a farm system for teams like the Lakers. It must stink to be a fan of some of those teams.
His post is clearly bashing Drummond when it's the Cavs looking to move Drummond. He weighed in on something he's not informed on.
He’s not doing anything wrong but to be able to do this, him the team whatever is ridiculous period. You know I always feel better about posts that make no sense to you because I could care less what you think most of the time seriously. I’m nervous that I’m stupid if you agree with me SJ.
The better approach would be to admit you didn't know what you were talking about but you love digging.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I'm a huge Celtics fan and to be honest, Ive watched AD play 4 times this year and he is less than impressive. I would rather have Allen - he is hungry and always gave the Celts fits.
AD is a liability with his FT shooting and he seems to have lost some foot speed.
Maybe he is sick of the Cleveland situation but he could have left before last season and opted to stay.
So does he want to play with the 3of4 biggest head cases in pro sports (Irving, Harden and Durant - L James being the other)? And still they wont win the title - Money is on Durant getting hurt again, Irving pissed he has to share with Harding and will have a another sabbatical for "personal reasons". Harden is over weight and it shows in his movements.

Reaction Score
You know I always feel better about posts that make no sense to you because I could care less what you think most of the time seriously. I’m nervous that I’m stupid if you agree with me SJ.
I don't agree or disagree mau , but got a good laugh thanks lol. SJ is still got Brady taking space in his head so he may not be thinking straight.

Reaction Score
I don't agree or disagree mau , but got a good laugh thanks lol. SJ is still got Brady taking space in his head so he may not be thinking straight.

If he agreed or disagreed in a kinder way I’d be fine but always everything he doesn’t agree with is stupid like HuskyBoi. 2 peas in a pod but whatever I’m good 34.

Reaction Score
His post is clearly bashing Drummond when it's the Cavs looking to move Drummond. He weighed in on something he's not informed on.

The better approach would be to admit you didn't know what you were talking about but you love digging.

Or maybe not everything needs to be argued? If people only weighed in on what they were truly informed on this board would have like 3 posts.

Reaction Score
Celts a really stupid not to at least try him out for free. He’s much better than any other Center on their team.

Reaction Score
Evan Roberts from WFAN (one of the few true Nets fans to exist before the Durant signing... They should seriously rebrand. The Nets??) called Drummond a dinosaur because his game doesn't fit today's game (I disagree), but did say signing him would be a great move. He saw it as just this year, not a long-term contract.
Drummond’s defense isn’t good enough. I don’t know why, but he just doesn’t seem to impose defensively. Also can’t play him late In games.

one of the great rebounders in modern era, but it doesn’t seem to matter.

C

Chief00

Andre returning to his birth home would be great. He always was NY type oriented.

C

Chief00

Drummond’s defense isn’t good enough. I don’t know why, but he just doesn’t seem to impose defensively. Also can’t play him late In games.

one of the great rebounders in modern era, but it doesn’t seem to matter.
Rebounding eventually matters. Take the Celtics last season or was it the one before when they couldn’t rebound at the end of playoff games.

Reaction Score
I'm a huge Celtics fan and to be honest, Ive watched AD play 4 times this year and he is less than impressive. I would rather have Allen - he is hungry and always gave the Celts fits.
AD is a liability with his FT shooting and he seems to have lost some foot speed.
Maybe he is sick of the Cleveland situation but he could have left before last season and opted to stay.
So does he want to play with the 3of4 biggest head cases in pro sports (Irving, Harden and Durant - L James being the other)? And still they wont win the title - Money is on Durant getting hurt again, Irving pissed he has to share with Harding and will have a another sabbatical for "personal reasons". Harden is over weight and it shows in his movements.
Imagine not wanting a 20 and 15 guy on your team. Drummond is currently playing at an All-NBA level. If he were in a bigger market, more people would be talking about him. Him going to the Nets would make them even more favorites out of the east.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Cavs would have to take back $23 mil in salary match (assuming they're trading him to a contender) to dump Drummond. So at most they would save 6 mil over the course of the year (so probably closer to 2-3 million pro-rated). They can potentially save more than that by Drummond agreeing to a buy-out of less than his remaining contract.

The deviation to that would be trading into a trade exception as mentioned above. It's possible this leak is a way to signal to those teams with exceptions to make better offers or else.

Why would Drummond agree to a buyout of significantly less than his remaining contract? He is in the prime of his career. You typically only see geezers agree to that. Why would Drummond play for below market when Kyrie, Durant and Harden are all getting paid? It's possible, but NBA players are generally smart enough to know they got to get paid in their prime because that prime is pretty short.

On the flip side, why would the Cavaliers pay Drummond the majority of his contract to have him go to the Nets? Playoffs are not out of the question for the Cavs.

Reaction Score
Why would Drummond agree to a buyout of significantly less than his remaining contract? He is in the prime of his career. You typically only see geezers agree to that. Why would Drummond play for below market when Kyrie, Durant and Harden are all getting paid? It's possible, but NBA players are generally smart enough to know they got to get paid in their prime because that prime is pretty short.

On the flip side, why would the Cavaliers pay Drummond the majority of his contract to have him go to the Nets? Playoffs are not out of the question for the Cavs.
1) This is old thinking. USA Today did a article last year on top buyout candidates, all were under 32 & 7/9 were under 30.

2)Cavs do this in an attempt to Develop Allen w/ out causing locker room issues

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom