Drought | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Drought

Reaction Score
What's that I hear? Is it rain? It still rains in Connecticut?

The streams have dried up and the lawns of southwestern Connecticut have turned a shade of ochre due to our current drought: we haven't had measurable rain since June 27th. Combining this along with our incoming week-long heat wave has bummed me out, both in the short team of hating the heat/humidity (we don't have HVAC in our 1890s house), but also worried for our planet.

How has the recent drought affected your area?

Reaction Score
Any effects of Monday’s rain will be erased by today. One of the joys in my exciting life is mowing a lush, green, lawn with a coors light in the cup holder and admiring the striping. Sigh.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Any effects of Monday’s rain will be erased by today. One of the joys in my exciting life is mowing a lush, green, lawn with a coors light in the cup holder and admiring the striping. Sigh.
I thought you were going to share something about your neighbor for a second

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
New map is out for the week. Northeast with a bit of a push overall. Mass got worse most other parts slightly better. Keep in mind they closed out the books for reporting Tuesday morning at 8:00 EDT. So, if you had rain Tuesday morning it probably isn't accounted for in this map.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
youse should read the garden thread. we all knew aboot the drought months and months ago. we knew why and and we knew where, and now, here we are.

now, aboot this freshwater thing. on planet earth, freshwater goes like this:
+/-, aboot a quarter of it located in
lake baikal,
amazon basin,
the area from the Great Lakes to New England.
that makes aboot 75% of all of it.
period. twas ever thus.

u see the desert southwest mentioned there? i don't.
1000 year drought there? imagine that.
and oh, aboot this desalinization thing.. u know how that works? first, u take a pantload, epic amount of electricity .......

Reaction Score
New map is out for the week. Northeast with a bit of a push overall. Mass got worse most other parts slightly better. Keep in mind they closed out the books for reporting Tuesday morning at 8:00 EDT. So, if you had rain Tuesday morning it probably isn't accounted for in this map.

Thanks for sharing.

We got over two inches on Monday, so despite the heat wave, everything is looking pretty decent in Norwalk now, however we did just miss out on the storms both yesterday and Thursday.

Looks like more soaking rain Monday into Tuesday, which would be awesome.

For the heat, major props to our house and the attic fan. I just closed up all the windows and it's only 77 on our bottom floor and 79 upstairs with it likely topping out to 83 downstairs and 85 upstairs by the time we open up all the windows. Totally manageable considering the sustained heat we are getting.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Rain was predicted on Monday, hit parts of Mass and completely missed me. Under a Severe Thunderstorm watch for 8 hours and not a drop.

Flash forward to today, and I have tickets for Elton John at Gillette Stadium. Naturally it is going to rain a little a massive thunderstorm looks like it will hit almost exactly as the show is about to start. Glad I have Club Seats, so have shelter, but still...what crappy luck is this in a summer without rain?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
My lawn has officially transitioned from the crunchy barren wasteland of mid summer to the grabgrass jungle of late summer

Reaction Score
My lawn has officially transitioned from the crunchy barren wasteland of mid summer to the grabgrass jungle of late summer
Yup. It’s like mowing cabbage. The town replaced the curbs in our neighborhood last year and backfilled with sand and crabgrass seed.

Reaction Score
Let’s go!

00375E9A-FD6E-4992-8F8E-521A0B084FAC.jpeg

Can’t wait for morning coffee tomorrow with the sound of rain.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom