Driving to Florida from CT | The Boneyard

Driving to Florida from CT

Reaction Score
I never thought I would do this again, but my folks car that they kept in SW FL was totaled in September as a result of flooding during Hurricane Ian.

My mom would like to have her new car down there and I have a willing co-pilot, so why not. We have a fun pit stop in Osprey, FL to see live music with friends on the afternoon of Sunday January the 15th, before driving the final 2 hours down to Marco Island. We are flying back home on the 23rd.

We plan on leaving Newtown early on January 13th and looping around Washington D.C. by taking 81 south through PA and VA and then proceeding on 95 South to Florida.

Other than the live music the afternoon of the 15th, we have no other planned stops.

We are looking for fun stops and/or good dining options along routes 81 or 95. Things that would break up the driving by stopping for an hour or so and make the trip more enjoyable.

Any suggestions?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
North Carolina and South Carolina

Stop at Pedro's South of the Border.

It's weird. It's a tourist trap but what the heck you need to stop and stretch out and replenish munchies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Omg. The tackiest place on earth. If you need to stretch your legs or get bad food, it is memorable I suppose. Definitely worth a bumper sticker.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Omg. The tackiest place on earth. If you need to stretch your legs or get bad food, it is memorable I suppose. Definitely worth a bumper sticker.

You've been there in you've basked in the cheesiness of the location. This is pure highway tourist trap and it does it better than almost all.

Reaction Score
I would AVOID I-81!
Well known for black ice and 40% truck traffic that clog both lanes.
The route your planning would bypass Pedro’s
Hit a Buc-ees in Fl

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I would AVOID I-81!
Well known for black ice and 40% truck traffic that clog both lanes.
The route your planning would bypass Pedro’s
Hit a Buc-ees in Fl
We always used to take 81 from CT to South Carolina. Never had a problem other than PA staties are brutal on enforcement. But I never did it in the middle of winter either. But we cut over to I-95 at DC just south of it on I-66. I wouldn't stay on 81, it starts taking you west past DC. Definitely worth it to miss NYC, NJ and Philly.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Southern part of Virginia on I-95 around Emporia is notorious speed trap.

Reaction Score
Not that you will but people always talk about how brutal the drive across PA is. The western side of VA is pretty god awful as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom