down goes Nurse…. Mercury vs Aces | The Boneyard

down goes Nurse…. Mercury vs Aces

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
2nd offensive play of the game for the Mercury… holding knee

Reaction Score
You could hear her scream as she went down. The right knee was the apparent injury. It did not look good.
Unfortunately, any time a player screams, the outcome will almost always never be pretty or quickly resolved. God bless, thoughts and prayers and all the best to an outstanding young woman.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
1633577243593.png

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Kia is such a tough player you might believe she’s invincible. Her injury is a sad reminder that no athlete is immune from injury regardless of how tough or well-conditioned they are. Hoping that whatever the extent of Kia’s injury, she comes back at 100%.

Reaction Score
I recall a number of years ago Kia suffered a leg injury while at UConn and she would be out a few games as a result. The very next game following the injury UConn barely beat an AAC team, Tulsa I believe, that was far inferior. UConn would quickly rebound but it was obvious that the loss of a strong defensive player could impact mightily on team chemistry. That may have been the case last night when the Mercury lost to the Aces. The media places a lot of emphasis on scoring and hence the Mercury markets its Big Three. And although Shay Peddy subbed in and hit a few shots, the chemistry just seemed off and the Mercury struggled defensively as well as offensively. No one can say with any certainty that, had Kia not been injured, the Mercury would have won because of her defensive presence on the floor, but I think it would be naïve to say that her absence didn't have some impact, maybe a big one. Hope she can return for the last semi-final but I guess we'll see.

Reaction Score
Did they call a foul on the defender barreling into Kia while she was up in the air shooting? It seems they didn't.

The Mercury walking wounded......two of them from UConn and a third one just rounding into shape to play more minutes in place of Kia.

Reaction Score
I recall a number of years ago Kia suffered a leg injury while at UConn and she would be out a few games as a result. The very next game following the injury UConn barely beat an AAC team, Tulsa I believe, that was far inferior. UConn would quickly rebound but it was obvious that the loss of a strong defensive player could impact mightily on team chemistry. That may have been the case last night when the Mercury lost to the Aces. The media places a lot of emphasis on scoring and hence the Mercury markets its Big Three. And although Shay Peddy subbed in and hit a few shots, the chemistry just seemed off and the Mercury struggled defensively as well as offensively. No one can say with any certainty that, had Kia not been injured, the Mercury would have won because of her defensive presence on the floor, but I think it would be naïve to say that her absence didn't have some impact, maybe a big one. Hope she can return for the last semi-final but I guess we'll see.

UCONN had just won its 100th straight game, a game against South Carolina, and Kia was playing hurt throughout that game. In the following game, UCONN defeated Tulane 63-60 without Kia. Tulane nearly tied the game at the buzzer. Geno said that he told Kia she wouldn't play until the NCAA tournament, but she threatened to hit him with a hockey puck. He relented and she played in the conference tournament. I wonder whether Kia's injury is one of the reasons they lost to Mississippi State.

Reaction Score
Did they call a foul on the defender barreling into Kia while she was up in the air shooting? It seems they didn't.

The Mercury walking wounded......two of them from UConn and a third one just rounding into shape to play more minutes in place of Kia.
No there wasn't a call. Rebecca Lobo also stated that she didn't think it was a foul yesterday when they were running the replays.

I thought the whistle was for a foul too initially.

Reaction Score
No there wasn't a call. Rebecca Lobo also stated that she didn't think it was a foul yesterday when they were running the replays.

I thought the whistle was for a foul too initially.
If you watch the replay, yeah, she did hit the ball but she also body slammed Nurse while she was in the air. It should have been a common foul at least. Couldn't tell if they were in the protected area but, yeah, it was a foul. Bet that put a smile on lamebeers face.

Reaction Score
If you watch the replay, yeah, she did hit the ball but she also body slammed Nurse while she was in the air. It should have been a common foul at least. Couldn't tell if they were in the protected area but, yeah, it was a foul. Bet that put a smile on lamebeers face.
Precisely!!!

Reaction Score
No argument there. I don't know how it wasn't. When Lobo said she didn't see contact, I was surprised.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Kia is out for game 5, I believe. However, I haven't seen a diagnosis yet.

Some of you may remember that my granddaughter played Division III soccer in 2019. Caitie sat out 2020 due to Covid, but was cleared to play this season. In the last minute of game 2 about 4 weeks ago, she went down with an ugly knee injury. The trainer and doc thought it was a partial ACL tear. But she was "lucky"--it was a bone bruise. Nasty pain, but no surgery required. She was out about 2 weeks and is playing again. I'm hoping Kia has the same kind of "luck."

Reaction Score
Kia is out for game 5, I believe. However, I haven't seen a diagnosis yet.

Some of you may remember that my granddaughter played Division III soccer in 2019. Caitie sat out 2020 due to Covid, but was cleared to play this season. In the last minute of game 2 about 4 weeks ago, she went down with an ugly knee injury. The trainer and doc thought it was a partial ACL tear. But she was "lucky"--it was a bone bruise. Nasty pain, but no surgery required. She was out about 2 weeks and is playing again. I'm hoping Kia has the same kind of "luck."
Glad to hear it wasn't serious and that you're grand daughter is back playing. I've seen too many good kids suffer ACL injuries before they graduate high school.

Reaction Score
Losing a player is never good for a team. However, it is presumptuous to infer that it was the cause of their loss. Its not like it was a close game. There are variable factors in volved in a loss or win. Nurse was around when the merc got blown out in their first game of the series as well. Players, as do teams , have their good games and then their bad games. We can never tell which will happen on any given day. The Aces won because more of their players were hot and hit their shots while the Mercs were cold. The mercs won game two and game three for the same reason. Nurse is not a scorer but a defender and what the Mercs were lacking was not defense but rather offense. They hit a cold streak in the third period while the Aces went on a run.

They probably missed Cunninghams scoring more than Nurses defense, although Cunninghams replacement was their hottest player and carred them for some time. Had Cunningham been available she probobly would not have gotten the minutes to score all those points. YOu never know sometimes the replacement plays better than the person they replace.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom