Dorka Juhasz transferring to UConn | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Dorka Juhasz transferring to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Do Bonjour do any background prep for his stories? He says in here that Juhasz has experience playing for Tamika W. and got insight from her because she's a current assistant for OSU. What?? Tamika hasn't been at OSU since 2008. He just made it up.
No she came back to OSU

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It's possible this has been posted though if so I missed it.

The U19 tourney in 2017. DJ definitely has that European style to her game and I think it has a chance to really fit into UConn's offense.

I see length, good footwork, ability to finish with either hand, and strong offensive rebounding. I think Dorka is a nice addition.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Last edited:
Reaction Score
Welcome to UConn, Dorka! I think you will help make some team history! :)

Pilot B52

Pilot B52
Reaction Score
Natalie injured her hand in practice before her first eligible game after transferring from GT and missing games that she needed to play to be a more important part of the already set rotation and she never fully caught up to her potential. Anna's potential and play was also adversely affected by time missed due to her injury. But Natalie showed what she could do when she transferred to Mason. She was their go-to girl and responded by tying the D1 record for double-doubles at 33 (all consecutive) and set the D1 rebounding record for a season. She was not only the most valuable asset on the team but reliable and consistent game after game. Always in double figures scoring and rebounding.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
It helped that Juhasz already had some insight into the program from playing under former UConn star Tamika (Williams) Jeter, currently an assistant for the Buckeyes.

“I’ve heard stories about him,” she said of Auriemma. “He’s super tough and he’s challenging players every day, but that’s what I’m looking for. He likes to joke around, too, which is a perfect mix.”

Reaction Score
Lots of people commenting on how she will help the program. Here are mine.
1. South Carolina and Stanford have more than one big playing at a time now. We had two last year and both were foul prone at times. Five more fouls from a All-Big Ten center will certainly Help. Along will a developing Paith and a good freshman in Amari.
2. She finishes well both left and right around the hoop. She is a worker similar to Aaliyah around the hoop. She is a great offensive rebounder. She cuts and moves well. She rebounds and gets the ball out quickly on the break.
3. She can make a 3 point shot and has good form but she shot 12-59 for 20% and 43% free throw line. I can hear the boneyarders now !!!! Liv shot 4-15 on 3's for .267 % and 52-87 for 60% on free throws. Liv is better on both 3's and foul shots.
4. UConn finally has some competitive bigs now and more on the way. We definitely have the 3 point shooters now with Paige, Azzi, and Caroline. Williams and Westbrook can make them but are very average. Nika I expect to be better after an off season of work on it.
5. We should continue now to get to the final 4 and hopefully win a couple in a row. It looks like We are one of the big three. The other two being South Carolina and Stanford.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I remember all the excitement generated when "Z: committed to UConn. She hit the three point shot in practice but struggled in games. Will Dorca hit enough to keep defenses honest? We shall see. That was one of the most talented teams UConn had had since 2016. The talent alone won't get UConn a 12th championship. Some right coaching decisions are going to have to take place also.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I remember all the excitement generated when "Z: committed to UConn. She hit the three point shot in practice but struggled in games. Will Dorca hit enough to keep defenses honest? We shall see. That was one of the most talented teams UConn had had since 2016. The talent alone won't get UConn a 12th championship. Some right coaching decisions are going to have to take place also.
Whether or not Dorka is a key contributor will depend on which Dorka shows up. If the sophomore version shows up, shooting almost 40% from the arc and hopefully a decent % from the FT line, then Dorka can be an impactful player much like Stanford’s Prechtel. If we get the junior version of Dorka who shot 20% from the arc and 43% from the FT line, then we are really getting another player like Liv, who opponents will give up the 3-pt shot to and attack when she gets the ball in the low blocks.

Your comparison to Z is appropriate. I remember Geno being excited about a 6’6” player who could shoot the 3. Truth is that Z was a marginal 3-pt shooter at Duke as a sophomore, shooting just 28%. When she was finally eligible at UConn, Z evidently forgot to bring along her 3-pt shot, shooting only 17%.

That’s when Geno put Z on a crash course to spend more time in the low post. Z actually responded pretty well, but moving Z inside moved Pheesa outside, which sub-optimized the best low post player in the country.

Last edited:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Whether or not Dorka is a key contributor will depend on which Dorka shows up. If the sophomore version shows up, shooting almost 40% from the arc and hopefully a decent % from the FT line, then Dorka can be an impactful player much like Stanford’s Prechtel. If we get the junior version of Dorka who shot 20% from the arc and 43% from the FT line, then we are really getting another player like Liv, who opponents will give up the 3-pt shot to and attack when she gets the ball in the low blocks.

Your comparison to Z is appropriate. I remember Geno being excited about a 6’6” player who could shoot the 3. Truth is that Z was a marginal 3-pt shooter at UNC as a sophomore, shooting just 28%. When she was finally eligible at UConn, Z evidently forgot to bring along her 3-pt shot, shooting only 17%.

That’s when Geno put Z on a crash course to spend more time in the low post. Z actually responded pretty well, but moving Z inside moved Pheesa outside, which sub-optimized the best low post player in the country.
She went to Duke.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I couldn't help notice the irony between you last two post. This one and the one advocating letting the transfers play immediately. The irony is that Azura had to sit a year. I've always been of the believe that when you take these highly skilled and finely tuned athletes athletes out of competition for a full year it dulles their skills. Just to test my theory, has there ever been a player sit out a year and then ended up being an AA?
EDD is the only one that I can think of. It didn't happen for Diamond Deshields, Kelsey Boone, Kaila Davis, Evina Westbrook, Lexie Brown,.....Sierra Calhoun

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Whether or not Dorka is a key contributor will depend on which Dorka shows up. If the sophomore version shows up, shooting almost 40% from the arc and hopefully a decent % from the FT line, then Dorka can be an impactful player much like Stanford’s Prechtel.

Still not sure why people seem to think DJ was brought to Storrs to shoot threes. If she never attempts a three for the Huskies that won't bother me a bit. There are a myriad of ways she can contribute.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Still not sure why people seem to think DJ was brought to Storrs to shoot threes. If she never attempts a three for the Huskies that won't bother me a bit. There are a myriad of ways she can contribute.
No doubt that is true. If Dorka simply provides UConn a capable Big with another 5 fouls to give, that will undoubtedly be a good thing. But one of the things most often cited by the sometimes overzealous BY crowd is Dorka’s ability to make 3’s.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Recall that there were some that were adamant that she would never come to Storrs at all. If next year this team is only relying on DJ to hit 3 and give us 5 extra fouls up front then multiple things would have gone drastically wrong and Geno's coaching proficiency would be in steep decline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom