Dorka Juhasz transferring to UConn | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Dorka Juhasz transferring to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
A minor point - I just hope we're not going to get "The Stevens effect" though Stevens was a very good player. What I mean is that Stevens came over with a reputation of an ability to hit 3's. She was downright awful shooting 3's at UCONN.

I hope that isn't the same here with this player. It's not a great sign that she can't hit ft's. If she can't hit ft's then it means you can't give her the ball down low unless she is wide open late in games. SO if she goes into a funk and is missing 3's and she can't hit ft's -- then how good is she? There will be games she can't hit 3's.

I haven't seen enough to feel good making an evaluation, but her 2-pt percentage was higher than Liv's at 59% this past year. Video clips indicate she can move, cut, and, at least to some extent, finish in the post. I don't mind her taking the occasional outside shot but it would seem to be wasting her skills and rebounding ability to have her taking lots of jumpers. And I don't think making her into a 3-point shooter is what Geno has in mind either.

Reaction Score
I haven't seen enough to feel good making an evaluation, but her 2-pt percentage was higher than Liv's at 59% this past year. Video clips indicate she can move, cut, and, at least to some extent, finish in the post. I don't mind her taking the occasional outside shot but it would seem to be wasting her skills and rebounding ability to have her taking lots of jumpers. And I don't think making her into a 3-point shooter is what Geno has in mind either.
Is she a good passer?

Reaction Score

I don't know about a 3 point shooter- he didn't need Stevens to be either. It was juts a comment. But if he runs her at the high post - she is going to htave to be able to hit outside shots -- if not she is "Liv" isn't she?

And if she can't hit ft's then Geno can't dump the ball to her late in games vs the elite teams, right?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
And I don't think making her into a 3-point shooter is what Geno has in mind either.
Certainly enough of one that she has to be guarded. That Ono didn't have to be guarded on offense made life more difficult for Paige. I haven't seen the opposition slough of a non-threat so blatantly since Debbie Baer.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I don't know about a 3 point shooter- he didn't need Stevens to be either. It was juts a comment. But if he runs her at the high post - she is going to htave to be able to hit outside shots -- if not she is "Liv" isn't she?

And if she can't hit ft's then Geno can't dump the ball to her late in games vs the elite teams, right?

Think she's quite different than Liv. Much quicker, more of a ball-handler, cuts and moves more like a wing than Liv does. Less mechanical.

To get to a point ScottCt brought up above, passing is a significant factor. Juhasz didn't average many assists but she appears to have vision and skills in that department based on video.

Reaction Score
One interesting possibility would be having DJ pull the opposing C out to the 3 point line and let AE run wild against the opposing PF.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Maybe Geno is trying to be like Tara... have a team of 14-15 players so he can go 10-11 deep at the end of the season. I would love to see 5 players 6' and under... and the other 10 to be 6" and taller ;) Ideally 5 at 6'4" and taller... but I am not greedy ;)
Nah! He is just hoping large population analysis will yield 6 possibly 7 players he can trust.:rolleyes:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
It's possible this has been posted though if so I missed it.

The U19 tourney in 2017. DJ definitely has that European style to her game and I think it has a chance to really fit into UConn's offense.
Thanks! Dorka's movements are more athletic than Liv's. Quick to put the ball up. No hesitation. This may work out if she gets UCONN's offensive philosophy and grasps the team defense. As LAEric says learn the baby hook if you have not. I have not seen enough of her game to know for sure. Oh yeah! Practice free throws please. 43%!!! No, no, NO!

Reaction Score
Geno made this move with the big picture in mind. To compete w/Stanford, SC, Baylor for Titles in the next few years, Geno finally starting to realize his teams need to get much more physical with more post play. Boston going to SC & Betts going to Stanford was a big wakeup call.

Reaction Score
An all Big Ten first team player is coming to play for Uconn.....the downside................
Smackdown Live Reaction GIF by WWE

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
A minor point - I just hope we're not going to get "The Stevens effect" though Stevens was a very good player. What I mean is that Stevens came over with a reputation of an ability to hit 3's. She was downright awful shooting 3's at UCONN.

I hope that isn't the same here with this player. It's not a great sign that she can't hit ft's. If she can't hit ft's then it means you can't give her the ball down low unless she is wide open late in games. SO if she goes into a funk and is missing 3's and she can't hit ft's -- then how good is she? There will be games she can't hit 3's.

Stevens saw herself as a long guard when she was playing at Duke, and Coach P didn't appear to try to dissuade her of that. Juhasz is definitely an inside player who doesn't shy away from contact. And the folks singing her praises as a three-point shooter are exaggerating a bit. She's sub-30% for her career, although she shot really well her sophomore year.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Terrific play run by McGuff here. Juhasz shows excellent foot speed too. She certainly moves like a small forward.

I think the most impressive part was the catch. Throw was not really on the money, she had to adjust to it.

Reaction Score
It's possible this has been posted though if so I missed it.

The U19 tourney in 2017. DJ definitely has that European style to her game and I think it has a chance to really fit into UConn's offense.

She's a metalhead. Awesome.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Dorka can use either hand around the basket which is something many players either can't or choose not to do. She has a baby hook also with either hand. She can average a double double in B1G play, can hit the 3 and runs the court well. What is there not to like about this young lady. On offense she will help spread out the court and on defense she will clog up the interior. She is something that UConn hasn't had since Stewie left, a big that can play both offense and defense, can lead or start a fast break, averages over 4 offensive rebounds a game, can block with either hand. The only things that she needs to improve on is raise her average in both 3pt shots and free throws. What's not to like about this young lady, I hope she has a fantastic career at UConn be it either one or two season's

Reaction Score
Once again, UConn proves it's bad for WCB

So true! lol

To me this is Geno recognizing the teams that could possibly stand in Uconn's way of winning a NC.. So Carolina, Stanford, and I would throw Baylor in that group as well. All of those teams have size that most cant compete with. UConn now has the size to match and then some. This team has everything, now they need good health and some creative managing of minutes by Geno.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There will probably be a new rule that transfers to Big East teams that finished in the Elite 8 or better have to sit out 2 years before being eligible to play.
Or perhaps, just to simplify it transfers to schools whose nickname can be confused with territory in Alaska.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I don't know. I think Anna's confidence was like the stock market last year - extreme highs and lows.
So when does it come back... by keeping her on the bench for ever?

Reaction Score
Another clip shows that DJ is not your typical post player. Dives off the three-point line in a hurry to get the high-post pass, calmly dribbles, and finishes.

Nice play, but an unnecessary dribble, CD will work on that with her.

Reaction Score
So when does it come back... by keeping her on the bench for ever?
I think the 'ball was in her court', so to speak. SHE has to do the 'proving'. You can't be hot and cold and expect the team to trust you.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
“I’ve been playing three years as a four,” Juhasz explained. “Whenever I was guarded by a smaller person I was able to post up, and whenever it was a taller player on me, I was able to play one-on-one on the outside. That’s where I can help, be that threat from the outside. Obviously I love rebounding, so I hope I can help out with that for sure.”

“I trust the coaching staff 100% here at UConn,” she said. “They’re really going to help me improve. Hopefully, I can help the team win a national title.”

Auriemma made a quick impression on Juhasz by reaching out to her personally when she became available.

“That was a great moment,” she said. “Some schools like you to talk to their assistant coaches first to get to know the player better. That was definitely a big thing for me. ‘All right, he’s super invested in me and his program, and he really wants me to be a part of it.’ We had great conversations throughout the weeks. It’s really important for me to feel that. The coaches are invested as much as I am invested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom