Don't Panic | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Don't Panic

Reaction Score
I started this thread with a warning that horrors of horrors, maybe no b'ball come fall. I kind of expected some response that this was needless overreacting and fear mongering. Instead the thread has focused on the logistics of pandemic preparation in an entertaining way. A few reactions to various of the posts:

Grocery store - just a couple if days ago the supermarket I was in was business as usual except for hand sanitizer and alcohol. I stopped in last night for a few last things and how things had changed. No Tyler Phommachanh (more on that below), no paper towels, no water and most surprisingly no fresh produce. Tomatoes, onions, avocados, fruit of all kinds, you name it and it was gone. Much of it has limited shelf life so I suppose people are filling freezers. Yet there were still plenty of canned and frozen veggies and fruit to be had. Seemed odd to me.

Tyler Phommachanh - Shower/bidet or wash cloth in lieu of? A good plan D, but I can't tell you how much I would hate those options. 3 ply separated to 1 ply to extend the supply? A lifetime of experience tells me that It takes more 1 ply to get the same results as multi-ply. I read long ago that waste treatment plant operators hate 3 ply so I've always stayed with 2 with good success. "Pick and roll"? Loved it. A favorite Tyler Phommachanh poll? Bring it on. Quilted Northern is my go to and for that plug I hope to get a case delivered to my door. At what point do the moderators step in and ask us to please shut up about Tyler Phommachanh?

Don't Panic v Stay Calm - Stay calm is good but didn't give the chance to reference Hitchhiker's Guide, which is always a good thing to do. Years ago I ended up with a silver dollar sized pin, red with white letters, that said DON'T PANIC. From one of the overnight delivery outfits if memory serves. It sat in my desk for years. I still have it somewhere and if I find it I'll start wearing it during these trying times.

@msf22b, I appreciate your calm, but I'm not nearly so sanquin about that curtains thing. So who wins those b'ball games with the wife?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
@msf22b, I appreciate your calm, but I'm not nearly so sanquin about that curtains thing. So who wins those b'ball games with the wife?

We just runaround with 2 BB's and shoot; no contests per se.
We do note whose 15 footer % is better
She shoots from further out...For me going under the basket and doing a reverse layup is real good for my neck.

Reaction Score
Panic can be a good thing, especially the kind induced by over-protective adult children. Best ways to paniic in our house:

1. Make a monster-sized pot of gumbo. I promise your grocery hasn’t sold out of frozen okra!
2. A similarly large pot of jambalaya, which tastes better every time it’s reheated.
3. Another big pot...chicken maquechoux. The ultimate comfort food in the face of any crisis.
4. Chicken fricassee...mmmm!

Plenty of cold beer...and brown whiskey! Having fun in the kitchen, with the TV off, and your favorite music on (opera for me) constitutes the best revenge!

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
This thing is going to go on for a while and toilet paper will be back and that aspect will fade...

i'm 80, active, feel young. lots of broken plans...Italy for one...

We Winter in Northern Vt, live in New York City...absolutely can't go back to town now..My son who is around and about town daily is back in the apt. Reason enough. Cancelled last Friday's Dr. appointment.

My immune system is compromised by a season long sinus infection and I'm a prime candidate for the chop if I catch the plague.

So, I'll try not to (catch it)...which doesn't mean living like a hermit...skiing is finished for me this season, but my wife and I like to run around for 20-25 minutes shooting hoops...as soon as it gets a bit warmer.

Hiking in the Whites is safe....our sailboat is in a quiet yard in CT...we usually bring it to City Island and live home...not this year...we'll sail out of Westbrook

I was thinking of sending 3 months in a quiet Island in the Bahamas that I fancy...Spanish Wells...but getting on a plane may be too big a risk

So (for a retired guy) life goes on...just not quite as rich as before, but perfectly acceptable...and no fear...If I get it, it's curtains, so nothing to worry about.
dude, you are the poster child for 'the right attitude.' most of us will be exposed, but I feel certain that chinese cooties got no chance of beating a beast like youse. and for a bit of a booster shot for those like you, remember this. my great grams, 95 and toolin' around in her Chrysler, and never angry 'boot nuthin, was a bit miffed yesterday, cuz at her Fairfield stop and shop, there were so many people (buying Tyler Phommachanh?) that they were clogging up her lotto counter check out. I said to her on the telephone 'hey! don't you know? there's a war on, and we all got to do our part!' carry on.

Reaction Score
It is easy not to panic if you are prepared. The virus, while concerning, is not the greatest of my concerns. That would be the reaction to the virus by our government, and, my fellow citizens. Shutting down commerce on a world-wide scale will have a great deal more impact on your life, and, the lives of your loved ones, than anything else. Will our citizens help each other should conditions approach desperation? I sure hope that is the case. Opportunity to build & strengthen your community circles.

Reaction Score
We just runaround with 2 BB's and shoot; no contests per se.
We do note whose 15 footer % is better
She shoots from further out...For me going under the basket and doing a reverse layup is real good for my neck.
You might consider playing 21. In case you never played it, each player has to hit a free throw to break the ice. The break the ice free throw is 1 point. Make it and you continue free throws until you miss, each free throw made 2 points. When a free throw is missed the other player rebounds and 1. If they haven't broken the ice yet they try a free throw. If they have they shoot from where the get the rebound. Make it and get 1 point and then shoot free throws at 2 pts each until you miss, and the other player shoots from where they get the rebound. First to 21 wins, gotta win by two. Recap: you have to break the ice with a 1 pt free throw, after that rebounding a miss and making a shot from where you get the rebound is 1 pt and the ticket to shooting free throws at 2 per make. If you rebound, then you miss your shot the other player rebounds and shots. Played a million if these games as a kid,beometimes with 3 or 4 players. And yes, you'll get shut out if you can't make the break the ice free throw. We generally had a mercy rule that 13 to zip ended it.

Reaction Score
Panic can be a good thing, especially the kind induced by over-protective adult children. Best ways to paniic in our house:

1. Make a monster-sized pot of gumbo. I promise your grocery hasn’t sold out of frozen okra!
2. A similarly large pot of jambalaya, which tastes better every time it’s reheated.
3. Another big pot...chicken maquechoux. The ultimate comfort food in the face of any crisis.
4. Chicken fricassee...mmmm!

Plenty of cold beer...and brown whiskey! Having fun in the kitchen, with the TV off, and your favorite music on (opera for me) constitutes the best revenge!
Good Lord that does beat ramen.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
You might consider playing 21. In case you never played it, each player has to hit a free throw to break the ice. The break the ice free throw is 1 point. Make it and you continue free throws until you miss, each free throw made 2 points. When a free throw is missed the other player rebounds and 1. If they haven't broken the ice yet they try a free throw. If they have they shoot from where the get the rebound. Make it and get 1 point and then shoot free throws at 2 pts each until you miss, and the other player shoots from where they get the rebound. First to 21 wins, gotta win by two. Recap: you have to break the ice with a 1 pt free throw, after that rebounding a miss and making a shot from where you get the rebound is 1 pt and the ticket to shooting free throws at 2 per make. If you rebound, then you miss your shot the other player rebounds and shots. Played a million if these games as a kid,beometimes with 3 or 4 players. And yes, you'll get shut out if you can't make the break the ice free throw. We generally had a mercy rule that 13 to zip ended it.

Played 21 through out my childhood and teens in the schoolyards of the Bronx and Queens...hadn't thought about it...cool idea.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Does this stuff scare the crap out of people? Or perhaps it is more economical per square inch than tissues? I think the former is more likely. Someone said that people have **** for brains. ;)
Yea I was thinking maybe it's because the @#$% is hitting the fan. :rolleyes:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
On the positive side, perhaps the human race will become just a little less selfish as they are forced to at think about others and the public good.
People are getting into altercations over toilet paper at the grocery store. Not sure how that 'less selfish' thing will really play out.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Grocery stores are reducing hours to give employees more time to clean and restock the stores. NC has banned gatherings of over 100 people. The Governor ordered all schools K-12 closed for the next two weeks. Taco Bell is considering closing the dining room.. just have the drive through option :eek: :eek:

Reaction Score
I went into Sprouts today to get a few things and they had whole isles of empty bins. The checkout lady asked me if I found everything OK and I cracked up laughing. I asker her, "Who stocks up on onions?" She told me that 'everybody' knows if you cut an onion in half and leave it in the room it will soak up the sickness from all the sick people in the room. Hence the run on onions.

OK. But that doesn't explain the run on bell peppers and bananas. I guess I can understand potatoes (not one potato left in the whole store), but tomatoes?? Then I went to Trader Joe's and both banana stands (reg & organic) were empty. An employee was wiping the bins down with corona disinfectant, along with all the other empty produce bins. The end of the world as we know it?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I went into Sprouts today to get a few things and they had whole isles of empty bins. The checkout lady asked me if I found everything OK and I cracked up laughing. I asker her, "Who stocks up on onions?" She told me that 'everybody' knows if you cut an onion in half and leave it in the room it will soak up the sickness from all the sick people in the room. Hence the run on onions.

OK. But that doesn't explain the run on bell peppers and bananas. I guess I can understand potatoes (not one potato left in the whole store), but tomatoes?? Then I went to Trader Joe's and both banana stands (reg & organic) were empty. An employee was wiping the bins down with corona disinfectant, along with all the other empty produce bins. The end of the world as we know it?

They opened up a Sprouts here last year..... havent been to it yet. How is it?

Reaction Score
My husband and I continue to go to restaurants and we have reservations to go out tonight, too. We are eating outside (ah, Florida) and use hand sanitizer liberally but our routines remain otherwise changed.

At work, were making sure everyone has access to our cloud-based programs and can work from home, if necessary. Life goes on.

From my Facebook page:

View attachment 51994
Is Bob in his 70’s with cancer and hypertension?!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
People are getting into altercations over toilet paper at the grocery store. Not sure how that 'less selfish' thing will really play out.

The other part of the equation is not to listen to the news. :(

Reaction Score
we always played that you had to hit 21 exactly without going over. If you get to 20 on a rebound, had to miss the foul shot and hope you get a rebound before you lose.

Reaction Score
we always played that you had to hit 21 exactly without going over. If you get to 20 on a rebound, had to miss the foul shot and hope you get a rebound before you lose.
I forgot that version! We played both ways. In the first to getting exactly 21 no win by 2 of course. In must win by 2 version the person behind when the other player had 21+ points always got a chance to get within 1 to keep the game going. So if score tied at 19 and a player hits 8 foul shots the other player under pressure to hit their shot after the rebound and make a bunch of foul shots to at least get it to within 1. There were also local rules, like if you get the rebound close to the rim allowing one step to shoot a layup, or on rebounds going very long into the backcourt having some arbitrary distance as out of bounds so a shot was at least possible, or if the ball went out of bounds across the end line getting to take the shot from a step onto the court rather than right on the end line.

Reaction Score
They are ok. Trader Joe'sish. Lots of bulk nuts and grains, mostly non-national brands. They have more space devoted to produce but the produce isn't any different than at any other supermarket.

Reaction Score
Great prices on fresh produce, lots of organic everything. Good for grass-fed beef & wild-caught seafood. Very high prices on canned/packaged goods - get that stuff somewhere else.

Reaction Score
I went to ALDI (a German discount grocery store) yesterday. I cannot even find a shopping cart. They open at 9 AM and I was there 9:15 AM. They have limit of 2 for most of the can food, paper product, eggs and milk. All the water bottles, toilet paper, frozen foods are gone. I was lucky to get 2 boxes of facial paper.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
For a little humor on panic-buying:

The Groceries That No One Wants to Panic-Buy
I was in my local supermarket yesterday, with a wish list. hadn't been there in a few days. on the list was canned, cheapo, store brand black beans. as I come around the corner to that aisle, I immediately noticed that the section for store brand, cheapo beans was empty, except for one type -pink beans. once, I was mostly a red bean fan, then I switched to a black bean fan some years back. I never bought, or even knew much about pink beans. I am now forced to expand my cuisine horizons, since I left the store with a bunch of those, and since there were no black beans available of any brand. other than the one knucklehead that I saw angrily tossing an eight pack or such of towels back to the section it came from (im guessing he got busted for having more than 4 of those at checkout), things seemed quite normal considering the times, ie some stuff gone, but plenty of other stuff. I had a good laugh at the fresh ground beef section, ie, adequate amounts of 90/10 and 93/7(sawdust), but zero amounts of 80/20. if I could buy 70/30, id be all over it, but the food police (hey! why is there sooo much tasteless vegetarian stuff going untouched in the store?) have decided that it's not good for me. clowns.
and, no, there were no 'dry beans' available in any type that I am even remotely familiar with. kinda reminds me of this beat. i wanted to post the version by widespread panic that i saw, in honor of the thread title, but i couldn't find a good copy of that. david, singing aboot the mudd club, at the mudd club. awesomesauce.
'i got some groceries, some peanut butter, to last a couple of days..' ya gotta laugh....

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Look at the cover of your copy of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Right there in bold letters - Don't Panic. Good advice from Douglas Adams. Grab your towel, keep your wits about you and all will be well. If this advice seems almost, but not entirely meaningless, Google will be of help.

The proceeding is meant to soften the following: be prepared for life disruptions that extend farther into the future that we'd rather. CoVid will be around awhile. Maybe it dies back in the summer, maybe not. Maybe it will take a vaccine in a year or so to end it. Maybe large gathering won't be happening this summer or next fall and winter. Maybe there will not be UConn WBB come November. I hope that is not so. I've been wrong often enough to doubt my own thoughts here, but be prepared for a long pause before we can root for and quibble about our favorite team. Just in case.

Better to be over prepared (without the panic) and be wrong. Hitchhikers guide is one of my favorite books. Let’s hope the Vogon Constructor Fleet does not show up.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
toilet.jpg

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Is Bob in his 70’s with cancer and hypertension?!
If you’re in the high risk population, take appropriate, reasonable precautions. Panicking and buying tons of toilet paper isn’t going to help you at all.

below is a link to precautions high risk individuals should take, from the CDC. Yes, it does say stock up on supplies but some people go way overboard.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom