Don't Major in Minors | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Don't Major in Minors

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
With the 45 point over Butler,UConn still shot only 32% from three.That’s not going to cut it against Oregon Tennesse and South Carolina.Everyone is waiting for Azzi to save the day it’s like Waiting For Godot.
Oregon is in 4 days. :eek:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Tony

Sorry to disagree.
They looked ok in the game last night
but i think we are guilty of what I would refer to as "optimism creep."

Butler was no better than a a practice game with different (lesser) practice players.
We looked (generally) ok, not embarrassing, but not top-ten either.

We will be playing better teams as the season progresses, may even lose a bunch more.

We should enjoy what gifts Geno and the kids can bestow on us this season and not compare this group to Christmas past.

Because this is a new year, a new, damaged and underachieving group, led at the moment by a freshman of whom modest expectations were anticipated.

Let reality reign.

Reaction Score
We've come along way since the GTech game and Paiges injury. We appeared lost, out of sorts, and with no direction. Last nite UConn was running on all cylinders with confidence which is the most important thing. I dont care if Butler is not a very good team. We played with confidence and given what we've been through this season its just what the doctor ordered. Over the past couple of months we've come a long way. Players have emerged and have learned to take charge. Players have stepped up. Its really good that the Boneyarders have been teaching Geno what to do and how to coach too. LOL only kidding. The point here is we are at a different level now. We have overcome alot and we are better for it.

I remember Geno mentioning last week that he was going to get Azzi back in practice. I also remember Geno saying 2 other things...(1) after a player comes back from being sick he wanted players to have at least 5 practices and (2) when he asked Azzi when she would want to play she said something like the next day/game. That tells me we may see Azzi sometime within the next week, maybe a little longer but she is close to coming back. Azzi's return will only put UConn at another level and although some need to see her in a college game and need her to prove herself I dont. Ive heard way to many great things about her game from people who have seen her play and coached her to know that she will be a force and put UConn at another level, especially on this UConn team which has so much talent.

Alot of talk about the Big 3 Stewie MoJeff and Tuck. Well we just may be witnessing the next Big 3 in Caroline Azzi and Paige. There has been alot of speculation and questions on this board about Geno and certain players and have they lost it. Well over the past 3 games inch by inch we have seen players step up. I remember being at the Arkansas game and watching Liv standing out by the 3 pt line moving around the horn knocking down shot after shot and then getting into the game and having her shots bounce off the back or front of the rim. Now shes making them. Keep that in mind when watching Edwards Deberry Piath and some others. Perfect practice makes perfect. When you have coaches who can teach and coach you its amazing how good you can become. UConn has that. When your learning and working on your game it takes time for it to all sink in and it takes time for it to happen in a game. First you learn the fundamentals from your coach. Then you practice it, Then you try it in a scrimmage and maybe a lot of scrimmages until you can do it without thinking. Then you try it in a game and you keep trying it in games until it works. Liv is getting there. Last nite was a big step forward for Liv and a few others.

There is excitement back on the board. Fans are beginning to believe again. Many of the critics and doubters are beginning to see the light. This team has gone through alot and they kept plugging away at it. Now we are seeing the results. Heck many of us realized Geno hasnt lost it and his recruiting over the past few weeks with the addition of verbals from KK and Ashlynn have UConn in great position over the next 6-8 seasons. When you look at the rosters over the next few years there arent many recruits ranked out of the top 10.

So dont major in minors meaning dont get caught up in the small stuff or you loose your focus on what really matters. A winning attitude goes a long way. Being able to trust your ability without doubting it goes along way. Focusing on the main goal which in BB is to find a way to win especially when things arent going the way you expected them to go. Winning is a attitude unfortunately so is loosing. From what Ive seen watching the last few games especially last nite the coaches are not letting the team look in the rear view mirror they have the team looking in front of them at the big picture which is what the future holds for them. That picture is the NC. We still have a ways to go and we may even loose a game or two but with the return of Azzi and Paige we will be absolutely Un Be Leave Able.
I agree with the term: A positive attitude goes a long way. It is a kin to : Only YOU can make YOU happy. Some truth in both of those. However, reality vs Fantasy, seems to say: Consider the opponent when celebrating a victory. Meaning, go ahead and celebrate, a Victory is a Victory. Yet, don't believe a corner has really been turned. This wasn't Louisville nor was it SC or even Seaton Hall nor St Johns. You can believe Geno cheered this win, it was important if only in the W in the W column. I like Victories and I like recruits but in both cases I want to see them both against good competition.

Reaction Score
Terrific game but I'm not sure you can use it to judge anything. They played hard but Butler is not, at all, even a decent team.
Yep.
Nice positive presentation, Tony. But reality has an important foundation in all of this.
Yep.
Not trying to rain on the forums parade over the Butler win. Or bash Butler.
A once described as a most knowledgeable fan base should see it for what it was. A good scrimmage as we head to better competition, a step in the right direction but nothing monumental.
NET rankings #8 UConn, Butler #315, that's out of 356 schools.

Reaction Score
Butler is going to go 1-31 this season, last season they won 3 total games. Creighton rattled this team in the 4th quarter, again the Big East is making fools gold of what this team is. Oregon CAN be a test, but I'm not a fan of Kelly Graves. This team will find out how good they are when they go to Columbia in exactly 2 weeks.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Nice positive presentation, Tony. But reality has an important foundation in all of this. Butler is a mediocre team and the UConn players should have played well. Butler defense in no way challenged or pressured any of the UConn players.

Fudd being a good player or not remains to be determined. Right now, Fudd is a dud. She has been touted to be an extraordinary 3 point shootter. Either she is scared $hitless or it was all hype. The point is we should not set high expectations for this individual until she really has a chance to compete.

This team needs to play and win without Paige for the next 6 games so it can build confidence and really play like a team. So when Paige comes back they can all play TOGETHER. Hopefully, they will not fall back to their old ways and "Let Paige do it". If they can all do it with Paige, this will be a formidable team to play.
During Azzi's time on the floor she has taken 3 point shots at a rate 1.3 times the second highest (Caroline) and made them at a rate 1.8 times the second best (Caroline again). Her 44% completion rate is very far from "a dud". In addition, her 45% FG completion rate and her blocks-per-minute are 3rd best on the team and her turnover rate is 1st.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom