Donovan Clingan | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Donovan Clingan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
People claiming they know where Donovan is going know more than Donovan himself does. Quiet clowning.

The kid didn't want to leave his hometown for high school basketball even though he's a 4* recruit and approximately 34 feet tall. I don't know if he's coming to the good guys, but that certainly gives us a chance.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Are you saying Hurley doesn’t have a chance like some of the other idiots on this board?

Not at all. He's a smart kid from a good family. I am sure he will ask good questions about how he is going to be used. I'd start by asking whether Hurley plans to ask him to hard hedge in man defense at all times? If the answer is yes, he should probably look elsewhere. It's that simple really. He isn't going to be as successful as he can be in that defense. On offense I'd ask whether they plan to have him stand outside the 3 point line and hand off to guards to keep defenders out of the lane so the guards can drive. If yes, again, I'd be inclined to say "no thanks".

Hurley has some real decisions to make about whether he prioritizes players like this or always playing in certain ways.

Reaction Score
Not at all. He's a smart kid from a good family. I am sure he will ask good questions about how he is going to be used. I'd start by asking whether Hurley plans to ask him to hard hedge in man defense at all times? If the answer is yes, he should probably look elsewhere. It's that simple really. He isn't going to be as successful as he can be in that defense. On offense I'd ask whether they plan to have him stand outside the 3 point line and hand off to guards to keep defenders out of the lane so the guards can drive. If yes, again, I'd be inclined to say "no thanks".

Hurley has some real decisions to make about whether he prioritizes players like this or always playing in certain ways.
I'm not sure your thoughts match up at all with the way recruits are viewing Hurley and his offense. Just look at Sanogo's comments after he committed and how a huge factor of him coming here was how he liked the way UConn's offense plays their big men. I know you love to complain about Hurley's system but you're reaching here

Reaction Score
I'm not sure your thoughts match up at all with the way recruits are viewing Hurley and his offense. Just look at Sanogo's comments after he committed and how a huge factor of him coming here was how he liked the way UConn's offense plays their big men. I know you love to complain about Hurley's system but you're reaching here

I'm inclined to agree with this. I don't think it's fair to say that Sanogo's role on offense was to stand outside the 3 point line and hand off to guards so they could drive.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm inclined to agree with this. I don't think it's fair to say that Sanogo's role on offense was to stand outside the 3 point line and hand off to guards so they could drive.

I completely agree. But that's what he had Josh do all too often. He clearly sees Sanogo as an offensive weapon. The bigger question is on D. Will he switch to zone to protect Clingan against small ball teams?

Reaction Score
I completely agree. But that's what he had Josh do all too often. He clearly sees Sanogo as an offensive weapon. The bigger question is on D. Will he switch to zone to protect Clingan against small ball teams?
Can't argue with the point on defense, I think he definitely needs to have some more flexibility in moving between defenses in game.

We'll have Whaley next year so I expect to still see a lot of hard hedges, going to wait to reserve judgement before saying that has to be removed completely. I saw enough improvement from Sanogo as the year went on, and expect to see more with him in his 2nd year and having Akok at the 4 helping on defense

Reaction Score
Can't argue with the point on defense, I think he definitely needs to have some more flexibility in moving between defenses in game.

We'll have Whaley next year so I expect to still see a lot of hard hedges, going to wait to reserve judgement before saying that has to be removed completely. I saw enough improvement from Sanogo as the year went on, and expect to see more with him in his 2nd year and having Akok at the 4 helping on defense
I think hard hedges will definitely be back on the menu; by the end of the season Sanogo had it down pretty well, and Whaley’s of course a wizard at it. Whether that would change and become more flexible if we were to land Clingan, I certainly hope so.

Thus far, I think Hurley’s done a decent job of recognizing when something isn’t working and changing it. Just feels like he waits too long or is too loyal sometimes. Would like to see that instinct to adapt come a bit quicker in the future, and I think it will.

Reaction Score
Imagine, a junior in high school and he makes a move to the basket without putting it on the floor.......................

Reaction Score
Can we just a committment from this kid! Why the holdout..He committs more will come...maybe we get a 5 star 3..
Mark Wahlberg Chill GIF

Reaction Score

Offensively I think we have a solid pitch for bigs that want to play in the NBA. A lot of touches inside and out.

Defensively, the inflexibility re: zone, and only ever using a hard hedge hurts. If we can add a 23 zone and maybe play an ICE or drop coverage, it would help a lot

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
KO can certainly point to the hand he had in the development of fellow local big Steve Enoch oh wait....
Don’t forget about Big Dave.

Reaction Score

Well said, unfortunately I have to agree with you. The flip side is Michigan could also very well ruin a talent like Clingan. With Clingan at center, UConn can stretch any good defense very very thin, with upshot being easy open looks for the shooters or easy lay ups for Clingan. Talking about Clingan begs the question, when was the last time a UConn big man had 20 or more rebounds?

Reaction Score
when was the last time a UConn big man had 20 or more rebounds?
Thabeet in 2009 had 20 boards v. Seton Hall.

Drummond was in the neighborhood with 14 twice in 2012.

Brimah also close with 15 in 2017 and Facey 14 in 2016.

Whaley had 14 in a game in 2020 and Carlton 16 in 2019.

But it seems it's been 12 years since the last time it happened.

Reaction Score
Thabeet in 2009 had 20 boards v. Seton Hall.

Drummond was in the neighborhood with 14 twice in 2012.

Brimah also close with 15 in 2017 and Facey 14 in 2016.

Whaley had 14 in a game in 2020 and Carlton 16 in 2019.

But it seems it's been 12 years since the last time it happened.
Oriakhi had 21 on the road against Texas in 2011.

Reaction Score

So explain how the last part of the season Sanogo was averaging roughly 10 a game on no more than 25 minutes without hitting more than one jumper all year? The scorers were just crediting him with someone else's baskets? Our offense starts with the big up high, and then as the shot clock runs down eventually the big cuts down and if he doesn't get a pass while moving posts up. Sort of like the way Calhoun's offense worked, where Jake or Travis usually made their first touch catching the ball at the top of the key.

I do understand a big not wanting to do what he makes bigs do and hedge hard on guards dribbling, and thinking they would be more effective staying closer to the hoop. Except you know where bigs need to have skills to deal with point guards coming around picks set by their man? I'll give you a hint. It starts with an N and ends with a BA.

Reaction Score

I agree on the hard hedge at all times. Only Whaley should be doing that at all times. Otherwise, it should be mixed up and/or minimized for the guys are aren't as mobile or mix in double teams.

But as far as the offense, UConn posts up a lot which are generally considered inefficient shots these days. This season Hurley actually sacrificed some offensive movement and flow to develop Sanogo and let him work one on one in the post.

Reaction Score
So explain how the last part of the season Sanogo was averaging roughly 10 a game on no more than 25 minutes without hitting more than one jumper all year? The scorers were just crediting him with someone else's baskets? Our offense starts with the big up high, and then as the shot clock runs down eventually the big cuts down and if he doesn't get a pass while moving posts up. Sort of like the way Calhoun's offense worked, where Jake or Travis usually made their first touch catching the ball at the top of the key.

I do understand a big not wanting to do what he makes bigs do and hedge hard on guards dribbling, and thinking they would be more effective staying closer to the hoop. Except you know where bigs need to have skills to deal with point guards coming around picks set by their man? I'll give you a hint. It starts with an N and ends with a BA.
Did you read his post? You're agreeing with what he's saying

Reaction Score
I agree on the hard hedge at all times. Only Whaley should be doing that at all times. Otherwise, it should be mixed up and/or minimized for the guys are aren't as mobile or mix in double teams.

But as far as the offense, UConn posts up a lot which are generally considered inefficient shots these days. This season Hurley actually sacrificed some offensive movement and flow to develop Sanogo and let him work one on one in the post.
You have to have some offensive movement and flow to be able to sacrifice it.
Sanogo was the only player other than Bouk that could get his own shot and make it.
Thank goodness Hurley recognized that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger