Donovan Clingan | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Donovan Clingan

Status
Not open for further replies.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
I've been out of the new england aau scene for a while now (over 10 years) but HoopGroup, the JamFest in particular if I remember correctly, often had some very good teams in it that would play there before going to their national tournaments. I understand what you mean though..the comp in the video didn't look very imposing at all.
There are a good amount of kids who typically play EYBL who cross over and play for hoop group teams in the major tourneys. But the kids he’s playing against in regular events, some of them should be playing local rec ball. Arguing that he’s playing against good competition is a losing argument. With a 7’7 wingspan and good mobility and some post moves he should be top 35-40 easy in a weak 2022 class, if he even looked serviceable against one of these 5 star kids he’d move up into the top 40.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Good point. My bad. I was probably trying to reply to your post.

Probably. Yes, Hurley clearly used Sanogo as a true post player, and while he did touch it outside for a hand off now and then, it was much less than often than with Josh. It was encouraging. Three years ago he fed Josh like crazy in the post, all the way to Josh shooting over 60%.

I also think we missed Akok. Before his injury, he was effective catching it outside, and could hand, off, pass, roll, or if the guard rolled and D chased, shoot. I like that a lot. Using a big that can take that shot (even Whaley at times) changes everything. What Sanogo flashed once or twice that intrigued me was an ability to put the ball on the floor and attack. I think he will add a face up jumper. He knows how to score.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There are a good amount of kids who typically play EYBL who cross over and play for hoop group teams in the major tourneys. But the kids he’s playing against in regular events, some of them should be playing local rec ball. Arguing that he’s playing against good competition is a losing argument. With a 7’7 wingspan and good mobility and some post moves he should be top 35-40 easy in a weak 2022 class, if he even looked serviceable against one of these 5 star kids he’d move up into the top 40.

You really should never, ever mention the term ‘losing argument.’

Like, never, unless you’re strongly going after irony.

I would also like you to consider the meaning of the phrase “unexpressed thoughts” and then I would like you to have more of them.

Reaction Score
Why is it so farfetched to imagine akok playing on the wing? Is everyone really so inclined to think that he isn't athletic or have the handles enough to play there? Why shouldn't he be able to develop the skillset? He is only 6'9, Roscoe Smith was about the same size and played SF.

Also it would never be a permanent thing, it would only be something that happens against bigger line ups in smaller chunks of minutes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why is it so farfetched to imagine akok playing on the wing? Is everyone really so inclined to think that he isn't athletic or have the handles enough to play there? Why shouldn't he be able to develop the skillset? He is only 6'9, Roscoe Smith was about the same size and played SF.
Short answer, yes. Long answer, yes it's incredibly far-fetched because he doesn't have the skillset of a 3. If you're drawing up a prototypical stretch 4 to play in Hurley's system you'd find a picture of Akok

Reaction Score
I mean he hasn't shown the handles or shooting to play there yet. And while his athleticism plays great at the 4, look around college basketball at the folks playing the 3 and let me know if that is a good idea (which ignores the fact that it largely takes his shot blocking out of the equation). Roscoe also played a lot of time at the 4 and if we're being honest, trying to find playing time for him, Drummond, and Oriakhi that last year was a struggle because he was a college 4, not a 3.

Reaction Score

Also it would never be a permanent thing, it would only be something that happens against bigger line ups in smaller chunks of minutes.

First rule of holes is applicable here. When in one, stop digging.

First, Roscoe wasn't a wing. He was a big who played the first few minutes of each half as a wing his freshman year because that's what it took to get him to willingly play most of the game as a 4. His second year, when he said he only wanted to play the wing, he barely played.

Second, when he played wing, he had Kemba Walker, Jeremy Lamb and Shabazz Napier as his guards. We didn't need points or shooting from a 3 in that lineup. You want to compare any of our current guards to any of them?

Third, Akok Akok is not Roscoe Smith. Even if he becomes as good a spot up shooter (which is possible but he wasn't there the year he played), he isn't the ball handler or passer that Roscoe was, nor does he have the agility (as opposed to speed) to possibly guard a wing.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
First rule of holes is applicable here. When in one, stop digging.

First, Roscoe wasn't a wing. He was a big who played the first few minutes of each half as a wing his freshman year because that's what it took to get him to willingly play most of the game as a 4. His second year, when he said he only wanted to play the wing, he barely played.

Second, when he played wing, he had Kemba Walker, Jeremy Lamb and Shabazz Napier as his guards. We didn't need points or shooting from a 3 in that lineup. You want to compare any of our current guards to any of them?

Third, Akok Akok is not Roscoe Smith. Even if he becomes as good a spot up shooter (which is possible but he wasn't there the year he played), he isn't the ball handler or passer that Roscoe was, nor does he have the agility (as opposed to speed) to possibly guard a wing.
Of course I agree with you, but Akok is a better shooter than Smith, he has to be.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I am imagining every coach in the country would press that team. We wouldn't get the ball past half-court on half our possessions.
Have Akok inbound to Clingan at half court. Who’s catching that pass if it’s high enough? ;) Put Sanogo under the basket so the opponent has to keep (likely their only) a big on him.

I‘m waiting for a team of all 7 foot guys who never dribble the ball. Just pass it around above the other team them dunk on them.

Reaction Score
Have Akok inbound to Clingan at half court. Who’s catching that pass if it’s high enough? ;) Put Sanogo under the basket so the opponent has to keep (likely their only) a big on him.

I‘m waiting for a team of all 7 foot guys who never dribble the ball. Just pass it around above the other team them dunk on them.
Globetrotters?

Reaction Score
the only reason i'm optimistic he might come here over UM is that the reason(s) he chose to stay at his local highschool will translate and apply to his college choice as well
Hurley needs to keep him in State.

Reaction Score
I think hard hedges will definitely be back on the menu; by the end of the season Sanogo had it down pretty well, and Whaley’s of course a wizard at it. Whether that would change and become more flexible if we were to land Clingan, I certainly hope so.

Thus far, I think Hurley’s done a decent job of recognizing when something isn’t working and changing it. Just feels like he waits too long or is too loyal sometimes. Would like to see that instinct to adapt come a bit quicker in the future, and I think it will.
It just kills me to see our rim protectors outside the 3pt line on defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom