Donovan Clingan | Page 20 | The Boneyard

Donovan Clingan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I grew up in CT but went out of state to one of the public ivies (not UM but similar level) for undergrad in the late 90s, where I was Pre-Med. At the time, I was warned by my buddies not to take Physics at my uni under penalty of academic masochism. So instead I opted for Physics 1 & 2 at UConn during one of my summers at home. The level of difficulty vs my other Pre-Med courses wasn't comparable.

That said, UConn's programs are excellent and only getting better and, if I had to do it over again, I probably would have seriously considered UConn (certainly would have been a hell of a lot less expensive).
Summer classes by their nature, shorter duration, will be less demanding than the same class during the standard semester term.
UCONN academics are every bit as good as the other public ivies. It may not quite have the reputation yet, since its rise is only occurred in the past 20 years or so.

Reaction Score
Summer classes by their nature, shorter duration, will be less demanding than the same class during the standard semester term.
UCONN academics are every bit as good as the other public ivies. It may not quite have the reputation yet, since its rise is only occurred in the past 20 years or so.

I always found my summer classes harder, and I retained less. I never found my profs cutting any content. Probably because they were rushing to get their content in in half the time, so I didn't have time to really think about the different concepts and make connections the way I could in a 15 week course.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
This is a great attitude and contribution. Thank god you yon't run our recruiting.
If this wasn’t a 7’2” one-dimensional raw center I’d probably feel differently.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I always found my summer classes harder, and I retained less. I never found my profs cutting any content. Probably because they were rushing to get their content in in half the time, so I didn't have time to really think about the different concepts and make connections the way I could in a 15 week course.

Summer classes aren't about learning. Summer classes are about getting classes done with outside the Fall and Spring semester. It's either playing catch up for a bunch of reasons or getting ahead.

Survive and advance. C's get degrees. Any A or B is a bonus.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Is it time to lock this thing and start a new Clingan thread that actually is about Clingan?

Reaction Score
I grew up in CT but went out of state to one of the public ivies (not UM but similar level) for undergrad in the late 90s, where I was Pre-Med. At the time, I was warned by my buddies not to take Physics at my uni under penalty of academic masochism. So instead I opted for Physics 1 & 2 at UConn during one of my summers at home. The level of difficulty vs my other Pre-Med courses wasn't comparable.

That said, UConn's programs are excellent and only getting better and, if I had to do it over again, I probably would have seriously considered UConn (certainly would have been a hell of a lot less expensive).
There can often be a significant difference in the difficulty of courses taken during the summer and during the regular semesters.

Maybe more likely taught by graduate assistants, etc., so it's possible your summer course would have been easier just about anywhere.

It worked for me when I took two organic chemistry semesters in eight weeks. Four hour lecture and exam every day, plus a three hour lab. Not fun but got it done.

Reaction Score
This is a great attitude and contribution. Thank god you don't run our recruiting.
You may not have noticed, but Calhoun basically did just this. Offered two players at a position and told each he would take the first to commit. In most instances he didn't believe one player to be so superior to another that it would mean much either way to the success of the team.

That's why KO ended up at UConn and Travis Best at Georgia Tech, for example. It probably saved Calhoun a lot of angst and indigestion over the years too.

You can't put all your effort into one guy or you'll end up like KO when he lost out on his prime target and was forced to bring in fallback players like Kwintin and the Charles Barkley clone.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
You may not have noticed, but Calhoun basically did just this. Offered two players at a position and told each he would take the first to commit. In most instances he didn't believe one player to be so superior to another that it would mean much either way to the success of the team.

That's why KO ended up at UConn and Travis Best at Georgia Tech, for example. It probably saved Calhoun a lot of angst and indigestion over the years too.

You can't put all your effort into one guy or you'll end up like KO when he lost out on his prime target and was forced to bring in fallback players like Kwintin and the Charles Barkley clone.
I was referring to him telling DC, a homegrown kid who we've been pursuing for years, to "kick rocks." Definitely was not referring to only recruiting one player per position.

Reaction Score
Great news
Well see how it all shakes out, but it’s nice to see that he is using 1 of his 5 official visits to Storrs despite the fact he lives up the road. Wouldn’t blame him at all if he used the OV to see another campus.

Reaction Score
Is Hurley willing to adjust his defensive scheme to accommodate a traditional 7 footer? I like how he uses Whaley and Sanogo but wish he had allowed Carlton to play more to his strengths and stay down low. If I were Clingan, thats what I would be asking.
Can’t see Clingan getting chest to chest 35 feet from the hoop with Hurley at yelling at him to dig in. The D is all wrong for him. The D is wrong even without a 7 footer 20% of the time.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Official Visit scheduled for July 1-2

Clicks on Clingan thread, finds Clingan news:
Mr P Thumbs Up GIF by @ICT_MrP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors