2022 Recruiting: - Donovan Clingan (BCHS) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2022 Recruiting: Donovan Clingan (BCHS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
When he goes to Syracuse he’ll say it’s cause they were the first big program to offer & he read all the slander on the Boneyard

Reaction Score
He is 100% not make a high-major D1 if he doesn't leave Bristol Central. It will be a complete and utter shame if he doesn't.

Honestly, if you know the family well enough, you should he in their ear about a prep. I usually mention to parents that the education is way better. Forget about the basketball. If you get an opportunity to get a diploma for free from a private school, you take it. That's a what, 50k education per year at some places?

ANY decent high school coach is telling this kid to get into a better school. If his coach isn't he's a selfish twerp. I have encouraged kids to move on from my AAU team, to focus on other sports, or go to another high school when it is in their best interest. If you care about the kids, you do what's best for them first and the team second every time.
Wrong

Reaction Score
I say point the young man to this article and let him know if he works hard at Syracuse, perfects his zone defense for four years, and he can make it in Greece or Latvia.

Former Syracuse basketball center Paschal Chukwu to play professionally in Greece

Posted Aug 26, 11:09 AM

Syracuse center Paschal Chukwu (13) during an ACC Tournament second-round game against Pittsburgh on Wednesday, March 13, 2019, at the Spectrum Center in Charlotte, N.C. Dennis Nett | dnett@syracuse.com

Dennis Nett | dnett@syracuse.com

Syracuse center Paschal Chukwu (13) during an ACC Tournament second-round game against Pittsburgh on Wednesday, March 13, 2019, at the Spectrum Center in Charlotte, N.C. Dennis Nett | dnett@syracuse.com

433 shares

By Donna Ditota | dditota@syracuse.com

Syracuse, N.Y. -- Paschal Chuwku has signed a contract to play professional basketball in Greece’s A1 division, he confirmed by text message.
Chukwu, who finished his career at Syracuse in 2019, will play for Lavrio in Greek’s top division. The 7-foot-2 center said he signed a contract with the team about a month ago.

“I don’t know for sure when I’m heading out,” he said, “just know that it’s some time this week. I gotta finish some paperwork.”
Chukwu will join a Lavrio team that includes former Virginia Tech guard Ty Outlaw and former University of Houston forward Devin Davis. He is, at this point, projected to be in the starting lineup with four Americans that include Outlaw, Davis, Glynn Watson, Jr. (Nebraska guard) and Kyle Allman (Cal State-Fullerton guard).
Lavrio finished tied for 9th place in the Greek league at 8-18 last season. Panathinaikos, coached last season by Rick Pitino, dominates the division, along with Olympiacos. The city of Lavrio, which various websites describe as an emerging port town of beaches and historical significance, is located about an hour south of Athens.
Chukwu, 24, had been looking forward to the next step in his basketball career. He spent part of the spring and summer interviewing potential agents and then awaiting word on his 2019-20 destination. A lot of that process, he said, had been stressful.

When asked if he was excited about his prospects in Greece, he said he was.
“Of course,” he texted.
Chukwu started 28 of 33 games for Syracuse last season and averaged 20.1 minutes per game. He scored 4.4 points on .721 shooting, grabbed 5.4 rebounds per game and blocked more shots than any other Orange man (57).

Reaction Score
Watched him play last night. Not a kid on the other team above 6’2” or 6’3”. They played zone against him and frequently double or tripled when he got the ball. He was getting beat up but not getting many calls. Room for improvement at the stripe, struggled in the 1st half but the 2nd half was good. Sealed the win by 4 hitting 1/2 at the line. Other than that missed a couple bunnies, he is a tremendous passer I was impressed, it’s hard to tell how good he is at rebounding when he’s rebounding against 6’0”-6’3” kids. But I think he could work on his blocking ability as well as finishing around the rim in lots of traffic. There were some times where he would get the ball on the baseline so 1 dribble and a spin move and then pick it up and find himself in trouble. But I was surprised how little his teammates looked to get him the ball, he was open every time if you could throw the entry pass, but some of their entry passes were trash. Would’ve been an amazing play on the fast break they threw Donovan a pretty bad lob and he wasn’t able to catch it and dunk but that would’ve been sweet. He threw the lob to late and too low for him. One problem is offensive interference, would be getting triple teamed on box outs under the hoop on 3 pointers and would stick his hand up and hit the net. He’s only a sophomore so he has 2-3 more years to figure out his body and develop his game. He looks like he has loads of potential but I think he should go to prep school.

Reaction Score
Watched him play last night. Not a kid on the other team above 6’2” or 6’3”. They played zone against him and frequently double or tripled when he got the ball. He was getting beat up but not getting many calls. Room for improvement at the stripe, struggled in the 1st half but the 2nd half was good. Sealed the win by 4 hitting 1/2 at the line. Other than that missed a couple bunnies, he is a tremendous passer I was impressed, it’s hard to tell how good he is at rebounding when he’s rebounding against 6’0”-6’3” kids. But I think he could work on his blocking ability as well as finishing around the rim in lots of traffic. There were some times where he would get the ball on the baseline so 1 dribble and a spin move and then pick it up and find himself in trouble. But I was surprised how little his teammates looked to get him the ball, he was open every time if you could throw the entry pass, but some of their entry passes were trash. Would’ve been an amazing play on the fast break they threw Donovan a pretty bad lob and he wasn’t able to catch it and dunk but that would’ve been sweet. He threw the lob to late and too low for him. One problem is offensive interference, would be getting triple teamed on box outs under the hoop on 3 pointers and would stick his hand up and hit the net. He’s only a sophomore so he has 2-3 more years to figure out his body and develop his game. He looks like he has loads of potential but I think he should go to prep school.
A friend of mine went last night also. Echoed many of your thoughts. Said he was really impressed with his passing and court vision.

We both said he needs to go to prep school and play with and against better competition. He's not going to benefit playing against 6-2 kids. I agree with UConnStats that I'd be shocked if he doesn't do that next year. Same thing happened to Alex Karaban at our high school.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A friend of mine went last night also. Echoed many of your thoughts. Said he was really impressed with his passing and court vision.

We both said he needs to go to prep school and play with and against better competition. He's not going to benefit playing against 6-2 kids. I agree with UConnStats that I'd be shocked if he doesn't do that next year. Same thing happened to Alex Karaban at our high school.
I believe it was @Ricker who just said some nice things about Karaban too.

I think for bigs, going the prep route is a must. You won’t be ready to compete at the next level if you’re not facing some real size/skill at your position in HS. It’s common to wait until you’re a junior though.

Reaction Score
Can everyone who wants to engage in the prep school vs public school debate just re-read the first 3.75 pages of this thread

Reaction Score
I saw a photo on the courant website where one defender was grabbing his jersey and another was elbowing his ribs. Sometimes it’s hard for a real big to play against these little kids because refs generally won’t blow the whistle as much as they should for a 7 footer against a bunch of little squirts.
He’s going to put up great stats. I want to see if he can lead his team to a lot of wins and a deep tournament run before he goes prep. That would say a lot since as a big, he has less chances to control the game....he’s not the one bringing the ball up the court against pressure, etc.

F

FanMan

If Uconn, Georgetown, Umass, Syracuse, and Providence have already offered. Does he really need prep? He's already got the goods. AAU is still on the table. Just saying. Saw both games he played and the kid got mauled non stop and maintained composure at 15 yrs old. That toughens up a player if you ask me. He absolutely has stuff to work on, but I believe that whatever team gets him will get a player that will absolutely contribute 110% every game. Remember, we are critiquing a 15 year old. I can't wait to see him play at 17.

Reaction Score
If Uconn, Georgetown, Umass, Syracuse, and Providence have already offered. Does he really need prep? He's already got the goods. AAU is still on the table. Just saying. Saw both games he played and the kid got mauled non stop and maintained composure at 15 yrs old. That toughens up a player if you ask me. He absolutely has stuff to work on, but I believe that whatever team gets him will get a player that will absolutely contribute 110% every game. Remember, we are critiquing a 15 year old. I can't wait to see him play at 17.

Prep will help his development tremendously. If you aren't challenged and aren't playing against the best possible competition (in practice and games) you won't progress as quickly or might never reach your full potential.

He could still reach his full potential without prep school but it could delay when he gets to that point.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
He’s going prep next year for sure. It will be interesting to see where he goes. Keep your fingers crossed that he ends up at one of our feeder schools like Woodstock or PSA.

Reaction Score
He's 15 years old and he's 7 feet tall 260 lbs. size 18 shoe and he has a lot of skills, he's playing high major college bball no matter where he goes to high school. Prep would just me more beneficial for the growth of his game.

F

FanMan

So will AAU. Donovan is VERY close to his family and has been through a fairly significant trauma at a very young age and has STILL played and plays very well and continues to show improvement even though he is playing for Bristol Central. Major Universities have offered him , even though he plays for Bristol Central. Major Universities, like Notre Dame last week, are still coming to see him even though he plays for Bristol Central. He may never go prep. Does that mean he isn't going to be good enough for the UCONN fans or coaches? I seriously don't think so. At least I hope that's not the case. I think in the end, Donovan and his family will do what is best for him and it may include prep......it may not. Again, he's only 15 and most of the commenters here have only seen him play high school ball. What I see from the last 2 games, is a kid that NEVER gave up on the court and produced great numbers, even though he plays for Bristol Central.

Reaction Score
So will AAU. Donovan is VERY close to his family and has been through a fairly significant trauma at a very young age and has STILL played and plays very well and continues to show improvement even though he is playing for Bristol Central. Major Universities have offered him , even though he plays for Bristol Central. Major Universities, like Notre Dame last week, are still coming to see him even though he plays for Bristol Central. He may never go prep. Does that mean he isn't going to be good enough for the UCONN fans or coaches? I seriously don't think so. At least I hope that's not the case. I think in the end, Donovan and his family will do what is best for him and it may include prep......it may not. Again, he's only 15 and most of the commenters here have only seen him play high school ball. What I see from the last 2 games, is a kid that NEVER gave up on the court and produced great numbers, even though he plays for Bristol Central.

No one saying he can't be a D-1 player without prep. It could be the difference between being a high college player and a NBA prospect however.

There good prep schools in CT it's not like he has to leave the state to go to a prep school

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom