Dom Amore: If Big 12 calls, UConn will have to choose between Big East love and Power Five money. | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Dom Amore: If Big 12 calls, UConn will have to choose between Big East love and Power Five money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Big 12 has several schools with less than 50k seats let alone 55k. OSU is 55k and change. BYU will have the largest capacity at about 63k. An on campus 55k stadium is a want not a need.
Agreed - it'd be a want by a minority of people. And with an easily-expanded stadium already existing, I don't see one of that ilk being built on campus in our lifetime.

Reaction Score
I don't believe that the university would require any approvals to build a stadium in the existing athletic campus.
They could tie it up in court for decades though.

Reaction Score
“ a little heavier”. I take it math is not your strong point. A minimum of 50000 to 60000 is five or six times basketball. Do you even go to BB games in Storrs? Penn State has added highways but before they did, fans were arriving on Thursday and leaving on Monday rather that sit in traffic for hours.
The Rent held 45000 for Michigan by temporary seats in the end zone. My memory is that when the Rent was built they put in foundations for a second deck on one side. I don’t know if that brings it to 55000 or 60000?

In all the focus on the Big 12 as the magic bullet. Missing is the impact on the bodies of the athletes off flying coast to coast. Also what about all of the other teams? Are we going to have them joinning another league and at what cost.
You mean like flying to Utah and Florida and Indiana, places like that? Or California and Wyoming, places like that? Texas maybe? Or maybe to Oregon? Cincinnati? How worried were you when the basketball program went to Vegas then Texas in back to back weeks? That is 2nd weakest argument there is. The weakest is that they will miss classes. For football they’ll play 4 road league games. And 3 will probably be in the eastern time zone. More travel in hoops no doubt but you adjust on the non-conference side. Baseball already travels to Florida, Texas, California, and this year Hawaii for.gosh sake. amazingly they seem to adjust.

Reaction Score
Agreed - it'd be a want by a minority of people. And with an easily-expanded stadium already existing, I don't see one of that ilk being built on campus in our lifetime.
I believe Baylor fairly recently built a new stadium that is substantially smaller than the one it replaced.

Reaction Score
Whatever happened to Yankee ingenuity? If you want an on-campus stadium, and you should, then find a way to make it happen. It would be transformative. Negativity and hand-wringing accomplish nothing.

If the idea of off-campus facilities is so appealing, maybe you should consider razing Gampel and building a new bb arena next to Rentschler. Nothing fires up students like a bus ride to a home game in a distant off-campus facility.

Reaction Score
All the naysayers to an on campus football stadium will be among the first one to tailgate there.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Nothing fires up students like a bus ride to a home game in a distant off-campus facility.
Yeah, it's almost as good as losing ~30 games in a row against a local, (then) in-conference school.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
All the naysayers to an on campus football stadium will be among the first one to tailgate there.
This subset of fans will show up and support the team no matter where? That’s your own? Good grief

Reaction Score
You mean like flying to Utah and Florida and Indiana, places like that? Or California and Wyoming, places like that? Texas maybe? Or maybe to Oregon? Cincinnati? How worried were you when the basketball program went to Vegas then Texas in back to back weeks? That is 2nd weakest argument there is. The weakest is that they will miss classes. For football they’ll play 4 road league games. And 3 will probably be in the eastern time zone. More travel in hoops no doubt but you adjust on the non-conference side. Baseball already travels to Florida, Texas, California, and this year Hawaii for.gosh sake. amazingly they seem to adjust.
What about soccer, tennis, Lacrosse, track etc. the travel cost alone is mind boggling .
I also am amused by Ct.s push for electric cars, windmills, banning pipelines etc. Somehow that seems out of sync with flying all over the country. But consistency has never been a hallmark in the college world.

Reaction Score
I believe Baylor fairly recently built a new stadium that is substantially smaller than the one it replaced.
McLane Stadium seats 45,000, replacing Baylor Stadium (aka Floyd Casey Stadium) with 50,000. Its river location is a considerable improvement from the previous field which was a distance from the Baylor campus.
2014-baylor-video.jpg

Reaction Score
What about soccer, tennis, Lacrosse, track etc. the travel cost alone is mind boggling .
I also am amused by Ct.s push for electric cars, windmills, banning pipelines etc. Somehow that seems out of sync with flying all over the country. But consistency has never been a hallmark in the college world.
Let's turn down 50 million because of travel costs

Reaction Score
So why on earth are we continuing to plow the same ground over and over again??? Anyone with half a brain can see that UConn will accept the first P5 offer of membership unless that triggers an immediate counter-offer from another P5 conference. In which case, UConn MIGHT accept their second offer.

Also, an on campus stadium is about the last things on UConn's list of priorities right now. This should be obvious. The Rent needs its periodic 20 year major overhaul (just like all major machinery) and that is gonna happen first. Then, there will be discussion of expand or build new on campus IF UConn at that point is in a P5. If not, that subject will not even come up. But if UConn HAS joined a P5, the powers that be will say that we just did a very expensive major at the Rent. Why would we build new when the cheapest option is expansion if needed? Also, the decision makers are fans too, and most of them live west of the river. They LOVE the Rent where it is. So that can will get kicked down the road for twenty years more. See where this is going?

Reaction Score
It is pretty amazing that there are people on here that want to forgo $50 million for and added cost of $2 million max, but then want to build a $250 million stadium on campus when UConn is having a hard time getting $24 million from the state to keep the rent standing.

Everyone involved in the decision would be instantly fired for not immediately accepting a Big 12 invite that basically instantly puts the athletic department into the black from a huge deficit that all the politicians constantly complain about.

Reaction Score
It is pretty amazing that there are people on here that want to forgo $50 million for and added cost of $2 million max, but then want to build a $250 million stadium on campus when UConn is having a hard time getting $24 million from the state to keep the rent standing.

Everyone involved in the decision would be instantly fired for not immediately accepting a Big 12 invite that basically instantly puts the athletic department into the black from a huge deficit that all the politicians constantly complain about.
Why are you rooting for the balance sheet?

Reaction Score
I believe a move to a conference is primarily for stability and putting UC on in the best available position in the future. Typically when someone receives new additional money, it is already allocated somewhere. I wouldn’t expect to see black unless someone is making a political statement.

Reaction Score
Stop it, please. First, much like field hockey did in AAC days, soccer, lacrosse, etc would likelybremain in the NBE since the B12 doesn’t sponsor those sports. Track and field, cross country, swimming are one championship meet sports. They don’t compete In any sort of round robin regular season. Same with golf. I honestly don’t know about tennis, but I kind of doubt it. You obviously don’t follow any of them. Do you worry about travel costs of the basketball team going to Vegas and Texas? Remember the room service orange juice? How about the baseball team going to Florida twice and Texas, California and friggin’ Hawaii? You don’t give a darn about track travel costs. Or pollution from flying. You are a New Big East fan above all else. Just admit it.

Reaction Score
Anyone who thinks that the NBE would let UConn pull iits basketball programs out and leave the remaining sports is doing too much recreational smoking. It's either leave or stay, no middle ground.

Reaction Score
I believe a move to a conference is primarily for stability and putting UC on in the best available position in the future. Typically when someone receives new additional money, it is already allocated somewhere. I wouldn’t expect to see black unless someone is making a political statement.
Having $40 million a year extra to spend on sports would sure put UConn in a good position for the future.

Reaction Score
The AAC was just as geographically spread out for us and the travel costs were somewhere around 1 to 2 million more. Not sure what your version of "mind boggling" is, but I definitely wouldn't say this was.

Reaction Score
Anyone who thinks that the NBE would let UConn pull iits basketball programs out and leave the remaining sports is doing too much recreational smoking. It's either leave or stay, no middle ground.
If you look around, it’s done all the time. We did it in fact in the AAC. And the NOOB actually has multiple national championships to its credit as a result. Look around the country. There are oddball pairings all over the place. And if not the Big East the ACC. But my guess is the NOOB would rather have us than see us go elsewhere. Let’s face it, more people will pay attention to UConn than St John’s regardless of the sport. It isn’t a pipe dream it is just a “standard practice in the industry.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom