Dom Amore: ‘Let’s get some of that;’ Jim Mora, UConn football look to raise the bar. | The Boneyard

Dom Amore: ‘Let’s get some of that;’ Jim Mora, UConn football look to raise the bar.

Reaction Score

-> This handful of scattered tapestries mark UConn’s modest history as an FBS football program, with lots of painful stuff unseen in between them. Soon, a banner will be raised to mark Jim Mora’s first contribution, UConn’s appearance in the Myrtle Beach Bowl last December, another loss to Marshall, 28-14.

Also modest, by UConn standards, and Mora’s. For a coach with Mora’s NFL and Pac 12 pedigree, a two-touchdown loss doesn’t warrant a commemorative.

“It’s a little hard for me,” Mora said. “We’re going to put one up, but it’s hard for me, emotionally, to put up a banner for a game we didn’t win. But I’ve been talked into it, so we’re going to do it. I like to celebrate wins, but I don’t want to have to look up there and be reminded of a loss. But I’m going to have to get used to it.” <-

-> “There’s a lot of good things going on on this campus right now,” Mora said. “The men’s basketball team winning a national championship, and Lou (Lopez-Senechal) and Dorka (Juhasz) getting drafted (by the WNBA), all the teams in the Top 25 (baseball and hockey), we’re just trying to keep up. Not keep up, catch up.”<-

-> “Danny (Hurley) and David (Benedict) and both the basketball programs, they’ve done such an amazing job,” Mora said. “To watch that, the passion on the campus, but also in the community. That parade. I wasn’t sure how a Saturday parade in downtown Hartford was going to be, but the energy was unreal. We couldn’t be there because we had to practice, but I think our players are saying, ‘we want some of that.'” <-

Reaction Score
One wonders if a Mora coached team in a real league could in fact make a serious run. Maybe not win it all but make a Cincinnati level run, or a Michigan level run

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
One wonders if a Mora coached team in a real league could in fact make a serious run. Maybe not win it all but make a Cincinnati level run, or a Michigan level run
Doesn't the PAC-10 count? He went 6-3 thrice.

Reaction Score
Love the comradery between the teams at UConn. Dan mentioned Jim Mora and UConn football during this week's podcast with Mike Francesa. Mora is well aware of the success of other teams on campus and I am sure is using that to energize and motivate his team this season. Looking forward to this season and the improvements they will make.

Reaction Score
The downside of no conference means you have to get creative to motivate, something JM can do right now. Long term…?

Reaction Score
I love Jim Mora. We’re all so pumped up about the basketball National Championship, it’s been hard to focus on football. But now’s the time. Let’s get fired up for the season! The improvements made last year were incredible. Let’s double down and have an even better season this year. Jim Mora has been a perfect fit for UConn football. Let’s keep the momentum going.

Reaction Score
He never seems to do or say anything that is not perfect for the situation. I love that he is not happy with 6-7. He pays homage to the improvement but does not accept it as acceptable. I hope the fans come out early and we get some momentum to keep them engaged. No doubt we have improved from last year but getting wins is always difficult.

Reaction Score
I'm looking forward to this upcoming season also. The one thing that will put this team over the top and is needed more than anything is a consistent, capable starting quarterback. When was the last time UConn started with a good quarterback and had him start in all 12 games plus a bowl game? The defense is coming along and will be better this season. The offensive line play should be improved over last season. The running backs look like a solid core to start out with, and two more good receivers should be back from injury and ready to contribute. But, this team desperately needs continuity at the QB position.

Reaction Score
He never seems to do or say anything that is not perfect for the situation. I love that he is not happy with 6-7. He pays homage to the improvement but does not accept it as acceptable. I hope the fans come out early and we get some momentum to keep them engaged. No doubt we have improved from last year but getting wins is always difficult.
Just watch Mora's introductory press conference from last year. When I watched it the one thing I took away from it was that he is an exceptional, not just very good, but excellent public speaker. I have done well in public speaking engagements and I aced by public speaking class, but Mora's press conferences can be exhibit #1 on public speaking that myself and others would have to strive for.

He was answering questions in a very articulate manner and extemporaneously without knowing or having any idea what would be asked. He never stammers or stutters at all.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The downside of no conference means you have to get creative to motivate, something JM can do right now. Long term…?

It also means that every game can be made into a big deal if the opponent is right. Playing in new stadiums, against bigger name teams, becoming bowl eligible. There is plenty to play for. Most teams in conferences have zero chance at winning the conference, even Top 10-25 teams have no shot most years. Being in a conference for us would mean fewer games against G5 teams and for a while, more losses. We're good as an independent right now. Win games, schedule attractively, rebuild the brand.

Reaction Score
It also means that every game can be made into a big deal if the opponent is right. Playing in new stadiums, against bigger name teams, becoming bowl eligible. There is plenty to play for. Most teams in conferences have zero chance at winning the conference, even Top 10-25 teams have no shot most years. Being in a conference for us would mean fewer games against G5 teams and for a while, more losses. We're good as an independent right now. Win games, schedule attractively, rebuild the brand.
Some good games on the road IMO. Looking forward to Rice and seeing Joe Milton play for TN. I don't expect to see a W in Knoxville but good experience for the team and hope they believe they can win.

Reaction Score
With respect to the next round of conference realignment, UConn is in a very good position right now, with it’s stable of successful D1 sports programs, and I think that position only gets better in the future.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Yes! I totally agree about putting up a banner for a game we lost. I imagine big-time programs do not do that. We are big time = we should not do that.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Yes! I totally agree about putting up a banner for a game we lost. I imagine big-time programs do not do that. We are big time = we should not do that.
We have a banner up for all bowl appearances (not that we have so many). If we win, it is noted, otherwise it is a bowl banner. They are just being consistent on what has been done here historically and anytime we can tout a bowl appearance, we should.

Reaction Score
At some point we will only have "champion" bowl banners. But anyone who thinks we are at that point now is delusional. There is plenty of space to hang all the banners we want. Plus it's nice for the players who made those bowls to see their banner.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Yes! I totally agree about putting up a banner for a game we lost. I imagine big-time programs do not do that.
Maybe you could do some reseach and report back.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom