Does this push ND to join a conf? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Does this push ND to join a conf?

Reaction Score
If Cincinnati wins and makes the playoffs it will obviously come at the expense of a power five blue blood. Then there will be incentive from the power five to increase the playoff likely to 12 teams. If that happens Notre Dame will remain independent forever.

Why would Cincy making the playoffs change the P5s outlook? For a non P-5 team to get in, even once, requires not just an undefeated season but a road win at a team that was itself in contention for the playoffs.

Don't get me wrong -- it is all about money and the expansion of the playoffs will ultimately happen to generate more revenue, but it's not going to be because once every 20 years or so a G-5 team got in. Recognizing that once the 4 non-P-5 schools move to the Big XII, the P-5 has tightened its grip.

Reaction Score
Why would Cincy making the playoffs change the P5s outlook? For a non P-5 team to get in, even once, requires not just an undefeated season but a road win at a team that was itself in contention for the playoffs.

Don't get me wrong -- it is all about money and the expansion of the playoffs will ultimately happen to generate more revenue, but it's not going to be because once every 20 years or so a G-5 team got in. Recognizing that once the 4 non-P-5 schools move to the Big XII, the P-5 has tightened its grip.
I agree. Playoff expansion devalues the P5 because playoff berths aren’t as scarce.

You want to see realignment insanity? Watch what happens if FBS expanded 24 playoff teams with all conferences getting an auto qualifier and at large bids.

Reaction Score
You misunderstood. I never said his leaving was a result of conference affiliation; but it is (partially) a result of the money that comes with the conference. ND is no longer the biggest, richest school. And that was one reason they lost their coach, an unthinkable event even 10 years ago.

So my question is, now that they're getting outbid for a coach, do they have enough $$ to keep up with the Joneses. And if they don't, do they feel a need to make a change?
From last year's reports, ND was still #6 in the nation in revenues.

ND had just renewed his contract for like the fourth time last year.

Jack Swarbrick said today that Kelly did not ask him to match LSU's offer.

To answer your question, ND is not going to make a change.

Reaction Score
I hate ND. After cheering for UCONN my next favorite thing to do in college sports is cheer for whoever is playing ND. The best part about them is that they are on the slide to irrelevance in football. Conference has nothing to do with it. The best players will not play there when there are more attractive options. Plus, we beat them on their home field.
54-9 the last five years with two playoff berths in the past three years is sure one heck of a way to "slide to irrelevance in football".

If that is the case, then 125 or so other FBS programs are even more "irrelevant" than ND.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Jack Swarbrick said today that Kelly did not ask him to match LSU's offer.

Do you think that they would have, or even that they could have?

Reaction Score
Kelly learned that from none other than Randy Edsall!
C’mon, he wasn’t going to add 50+ addressees to a text! One phone call using the speaker was much easier.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
Tell me you made up the part about the text....seriously? If true, damn!
Nope he sent his team this text message last night, I guess it's not as bad as killing someone but it's up there in the Mt. Rushmore of his scumbag moves
1638298599954.png

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
As of 2018 ND was ranked 10th among all US universities with an $11,000,000,000.00 endowment, so they certainly could have. "Would have" is in Swarbrick's head and/or the hands of the Board of Trustees. Based on Kelly's consistent success I believe they would have taken a swing at it. We'll never know.

As an aside none of the nine ahead of ND surprised me except Texas AM. Who'da thunk it?

EDIT: As of 2021 ND was 7th with almost 12 billion, behind some of the Ivies, Stanford, and MIT

EDIT II: List I saw was privates only- 2 publics ahead if ND- Texas AM and U of Michigan.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nope he sent his team this text message last night, I guess it's not as bad as killing someone but it's up there in the Mt. Rushmore of his scumbag moves
View attachment 71458
Other than leaving out that awful "my love for you is limitless" line :eek:, what was he supposed to do? He was out of town and planned on telling the team the next day at 7 am. Then the news leaks at 8 pm. Ideally I guess he could've tried to quickly arrange a conference call, though that has potential to be even worse and was complicated by the fact that he was flying that night as well.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I’ve had lots of contact with LSU—been to games, tailgates, practices—and have to agree with Giddyup that Kelly’s an odd cultural and personality fit. I’m friends with several boosters who’ve been chummy with several former coaches during their tenures. Last night I asked whether they were pleased or puzzled by the choice of Kelly. The answers were mostly he’s now my coach and has my full support. One said “ Not sure yet but try to imagine Ed Ogeron fitting in in South Bend. “

Well, I have a few much less connected friends who are still LSU fans and go to games every year. None of them are excited about this hire.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Look at the airport in South Bend on any given home game. The "could have" is an easy answer.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
Other than leaving out that awful "my love for you is limitless" line :eek:, what was he supposed to do? He was out of town and planned on telling the team the next day at 7 am. Then the news leaks at 8 pm. Ideally I guess he could've tried to quickly arrange a conference call, though that has potential to be even worse and was complicated by the fact that he was flying that night as well.
I simply wouldn't abandon my team that's on the verge of making the CFP but I guess I'm built different

Reaction Score
I simply wouldn't abandon my team that's on the verge of making the CFP but I guess I'm built different
It's always easy and noble to say that in a vacuum but if you're offered the LSU or USC job with all those perks and incredible $$$ and the issue is you either have to commit now and miss coaching your guys in the playoffs--or turn down the gig, it's not as easy is it?

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
54-9 the last five years with two playoff berths in the past three years is sure one heck of a way to "slide to irrelevance in football".

If that is the case, then 125 or so other FBS programs are even more "irrelevant" than ND.
It's great, but it is a slide for ND. They are closer to a 6-5 record and invite to the Duke Mayo Bowl than to a National Championship.

Reaction Score
As of 2018 ND was ranked 10th among all US universities with an $11,000,000,000.00 endowment, so they certainly could have. "Would have" is in Swarbrick's head and/or the hands of the Board of Trustees. Based on Kelly's consistent success I believe they would have taken a swing at it. We'll never know.
Is endowment really the relevant metric? That money usually is very tightly budgeted and targeted for specific items. (Not to mention that the 10 FBS schools with the highest endowments largely stink at FB.)

Athletic department revenue seems like the more telling data point.

Reaction Score
It's always easy and noble to say that in a vacuum but if you're offered the LSU or USC job with all those perks and incredible $$$ and the issue is you either have to commit now and miss coaching your guys in the playoffs--or turn down the gig, it's not as easy is it?
This. I’d take the money and a chance to win a title or more. The only place I’d stay for love of program and state is UConn. Even then, 15 mill would have my serious attention. Once you have a family, generational money is a huge factor.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Is endowment really the relevant metric? That money usually is very tightly budgeted and targeted for specific items. (Not to mention that the 10 FBS schools with the highest endowments largely stink at FB.)

Athletic department revenue seems like the more telling data point.

Struggling to tease out total AD dept. revenues, but for football ND seems to compare favorably with LSU. Many data sources indicate that ND gross football revenue equal to or greater than LSU, and profitability is higher. So I think it's unlikely ND would struggle to match salaries with LSU if required or desired.

Reaction Score
I agree. I can see if the season is over, but ND has a shot at the CFP and you abandon your men like that. These coaches are all pieces of crap. At least Randy finished the season out before he bailed on UCONN. I guess thats the way it is now unfortunately.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
I've never ever believed that ND would join a conference.

BUT, when another school can lure your HC away, you know you're no longer top dog. I presume Kelly is leaving for more $. I had been surprised to learn that ND's contract with NBC is not that lucrative. Does this tip some alums to be in favor of a conference?

Probably not. But gonna be a lot of soul searching in So Bend in the weeks ahead.
Aren’t they in the ACC?? Kelly left for SEC, he will win in 2 years

Reaction Score
I don't care what happens at ND and I'm sure ND can match any salary proffered by any other program. Maybe ND understands that a HC position just isn't worth that kind of money. Although it is already paying an obscene amount as it is.

These guys must figure, take the highest paying job. If he wins a championship, great. If not, he's set for life.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Is he supposed to stay there for life? God forbid someone makes a career change, especially with a giant amount of money involved.
Just shows what’s important and to whom. He has more $$ than he knows what to do with, but more money is better I suppose if you stand for nothing else.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom