Does CUSA survive? | The Boneyard

Does CUSA survive?

Reaction Score
Expected to be down to UTEP, LaT, FIU, WKy, MTSU after ODU & Marshall leave.

Their quickest solution to staying viable is inviting teams as FB-only members -- UConn, UMass, Liberty, NMSU.
Liberty has said they no longer are interested. (Tho maybe that refers to full member; dunno if they'd consider FB only.)
NMSU probably wont either if the WAC is indeed on a path to establishing an FBS conference eventually.
Doubtful UConn would find this better than indy.

So a tough sell.

If they could get some FB teams then they could pursue the BB schools from the Sun Belt that are expected to be jettisoned (UT Arl, UALR).
And in the meantime they could try to snag some FCS schools like Sam Houston for the longer term.

The only thing holding them together at this point are the exit fees. Though those are substantial.

Prognosis: Negative.

Reaction Score
I think that to maintain FBS conference status, a league needs to have at least 8 full members that sponsor FBS football.

C-USA is down to just 5 (FIU, La. Tech, MTSU, UTEP, and WKU) and would need to find at least 3 new members.

I would have assumed Liberty (Independent) would have jumped at the invite, but that doesn't seem to be the case. That leaves just New Mexico State (Independent) as an existing FBS school potentially willing to join. The remaining Independents (Army, UConn, UMass, and ND) would never join this league.

So any other additions will have to come from the FCS ranks (such as McNeese State and Sam Houston State, Jackson State, etc.). I'm just not sure C-USA will find enough programs ready and willing to make the move.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
MTSU and WKU to MAC. That would leave 3. Liberty is not interested. Us, UMass, Army, etc. not interested. If they get NMSU, they need at least 4 more. I don’t see it. Plus, there is no market for 15+ Texas schools.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
This conference is toast. Southern Miss just kick started the official death knell.

When you are looking at some school named Tarleton St to join your conference, you need to just shut it down.....

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
I will add that I don't know why the MAC wants to add a school like MTSU....it is completely out of their geographic footprint. WKU is not really in it as well but I'm not as sure as that because I don't know where in KY it is.

I feel like the MAC is one of the most solid G5 conference and survives just fine in its current form. Surprised that they'd be considering adding more.

Reaction Score
I will add that I don't know why the MAC wants to add a school like MTSU....it is completely out of their geographic footprint. WKU is not really in it as well but I'm not as sure as that because I don't know where in KY it is.

I feel like the MAC is one of the most solid G5 conference and survives just fine in its current form. Surprised that they'd be considering adding more.
Buffalo and No Illinois, the last two additions, werent in the footprint either. They were about 4 hours away from the then-edge of the conference. WKY is 4 hours south of the most southern MAC team.
Debateable but not outrageous.

Reaction Score

It's in Western Kentucky. It's literally in the name.

Reaction Score

WKU is in Bowling Green Ky is in South Central Ky
Not extremely out of the MAC footprint but a stretch .
You can drive from Southern Ohio , or Indiana .
Although the times I went to the Covette‘s Assembly plant
I believe I flew into Nashville than drove up I65. It’s a little over an hour drive.
Why did the AAC pass on WKU ? ,that’s a pretty good basketball program.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
It's in Western Kentucky. It's literally in the name.
Thx I knew that much SMH.....I meant in regards to other MAC schools.....

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
FIU must be real excited.

Ironically enough, FIU is a R1 research university and has its eyes on becoming a major university serving the Americas and Caribbean. FAU has beaten it to the punch on going big time. Just like UCF has clubbed USF on getting to P5 even though USF is better academically.

Reaction Score
Ironically enough, FIU is a R1 research university and has its eyes on becoming a major university serving the Americas and Caribbean. FAU has beaten it to the punch on going big time. Just like UCF has clubbed USF on getting to P5 even though USF is better academically.
Why do people continue to talk about school quality as if it has ANY correlation with conference realignment?

Reaction Score

Funny, all these years UTEP has seemed to have been trying to keep New Mexico State at an arms length. Now they could end up in the same conference. Wonder what if it is possible UTEP could end up in the Mountain West Conference.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Why do people continue to talk about school quality as if it has ANY correlation with conference realignment?

It's not like it's the only thing. With FAU and FIU you have two second tier state Universities in south Florida. There's really no logical reason why one school is outpacing the other in realignment. Like I said, similar to USF and UCF.

It's more an observation than a point. One school, FIU, seems to be going more towards and academic approach for its public facing while the other, FAU, is going more as a sports school for its facing.

Reaction Score
It's not like it's the only thing. With FAU and FIU you have two second tier state Universities in south Florida. There's really no logical reason why one school is outpacing the other in realignment. Like I said, similar to USF and UCF.

It's more an observation than a point. One school, FIU, seems to be going more towards and academic approach for its public facing while the other, FAU, is going more as a sports school for its facing.
With FIU at #167 in USNWR and FAU at #277....I can see why FAU would bang a different drum even if neither ranking has much to shout about.

Reaction Score
The move of Abilene C, Lamar, Sam Houston, & SFA to the WAC was widely seen as the 1st step in returning FBS football to the league, joining existing member NMSU.

So even if Tarleton is going FBS, is it worth it to move to a fragile C-USA or just wait for the WAC (with possibly 5 in-state rivals) to get there?

Reaction Score

Another one bites the dust...paging Marshall, you're on the clock
Marshall is a program that is fascinating
Although the media deal sucked they made money on football. We should send a team down to study how they do it.
Their stadium holds 30k and for 21 years they averaged 26k per game
They also average 5.4K per game in basketball. That’s more than a bunch of AAC and some Big East teams.
Yet they were passed over
Bad media market?
That’s a possible MAC add.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger