Does anyone know what’s really going on with Akok? | The Boneyard

Does anyone know what’s really going on with Akok?

Reaction Score
Does anyone know what’s really going on with Akok? Seriously, what kind of crap is this? There’s never been so little information about a player than I can ever remember about a UCONN player. Is he dressed? Is he done for the year? Is it mental? Is it the heel? He’s the second best player on the club, a definitive game changer as we know, but he needs to be on the floor for 30+ minutes a game. If he’s done someone please let me go into full piss & moan mode. He’s looked dominant on just the few plays he’s been in there this season. I’m watching this turnover torture now, thinking where is he? Even the announcers rarely mention him. Ok ready to know my dear suffering Husky faithful. Oh one comment, I haven’t seen such carelessness with the rockin years. My apologies for the agitated state. Go Huskies! #inprayermode

Reaction Score
yeah last i heard he was gonna be playing ~10mpg going forward but now i'm not expecting to see anyone resembling the old akok until next year

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Hurley hasn't even tried to hide the fact that you should not expect to see Akok play any significant minutes this year. I don't know why this is so hard for people to get, he's been very open that it wasn't happening
How about just playing at all. He literally went 3-3 against Xaiver. Nobody is asking for 25+ min.

Reaction Score
Hurley hasn't even tried to hide the fact that you should not expect to see Akok play any significant minutes this year. I don't know why this is so hard for people to get, he's been very open that it wasn't happening
He’s said he’s hoping for 10-15 out of Akok. No need to crucify the guy for asking...

Especially given how flat we were for the final 15 minutes of the first half. Would’ve loved Akok’s energy there as a potential spark plug.

Reaction Score
How about just playing at all. He literally went 3-3 against Xaiver. Nobody is asking for 25+ min.
And it was after that game during practice that Hurley said he was banged up and wouldn't be playing. Whether it was in the Xavier game or practice I don't know

Reaction Score
He’s said he’s hoping for 10-15 out of Akok. No need to crucify the guy for asking...

Especially given how flat we were for the final 15 minutes of the first half. Would’ve loved Akok’s energy there as a potential spark plug.
Maybe I came off too harsh but there's been 5 new threads created asking the same question after every game, and it's one that Hurley has already answered

Reaction Score
Major liability on D and boards currently . Shut him down and get him 100% for next year .

Reaction Score
Given his injury and covid can he get a waiver to play an extra year?

Reaction Score
Yeah, I know whats going on. He is coming back from a massive injury that impacts mobility and explosiveness and he isn't ready yet. I think its time this board gives it a rest. If he can contribute, I am sure he will. Otherwise, realize he simply isn't 100%.

Reaction Score
I’ve learned that fans just won’t get the info on injuries. Players are protected. We want to know but it makes no diff. They tell us what they want and when leaving us to speculate wildly. Just the way it is.

Reaction Score
@ Doctor Hoop response in Akok? OP tells you all you need to know about AA for this season.

Single question mark in referenced OP

Reaction Score
DH said in post presser that the 18 month mark is when he should feel like his old self....so this summer & next season.

He also said there may be a game here or there where he's feeling pretty good like Xavier and give some good mins.

Reaction Score
DH said in post presser that the 18 month mark is when he should feel like his old self....so this summer & next season.

He also said there may be a game here or there where he's feeling pretty good like Xavier and give some good mins.
Here's the full quote via the New Haven Register.

Although Hurley used 10 different players, sophomore Akok Akok wasn’t one of them. The 6-foot-9 forward is still struggling in his return from a torn Achilles tendon suffered a little over a year ago, as well as more recent shin issues.

“For the rest of the way, it’s really just a game-by-game proposition (for Akok),” Hurley said. “How the practices are going leading in, how he’s feeling, the amount of practice reps he’s able to get. There’s gonna be moments where he’s feeling great and he can come in and help us, like he did against Xavier. But we’ve really tried to stress to him that at the 18-month mark, he’s going to feel like his old self and surpass his old self. He just has to be patient.”

Reaction Score
Akok is physically ready to contribute every night, and isn’t being played because Hurley is an idiot.

There, now that someone has provided the desired absurd answer to this rhetorical question, can we move on?

Akok was never going to be fully recovered enough to help the team this year. It was great that he had a good 5 minutes against X, but it was a mirage. He couldn’t even give anything more in the second half. My guess is everyone knew this was going to be the case coming into the season, but it was more motivating to Akok to think he could give it a shot and get on the court then to tell him just take it slowly and be ready in fall of 2021.

Reaction Score
Everyone gets an extra year of eligibility. So it's not like he's burning a year or anything either. This isn't hard.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom