OT: - DMX Hospitalized After Heart Attack | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: DMX Hospitalized After Heart Attack

Reaction Score
Is that right? He was huge but I had no idea about that stat.

I could be getting this wrong but I remember reading that after It's Dark and Hell is Hot came out (best intro ever, by the way) Lyor Cohen bet him a million bucks that he couldn't get another album out by the end of the year. So he dropped Flesh of My Flesh in December and that went to #1 too.

If you weren't around in the late 90s it's hard to explain how huge this guy was. And when the beat on "Where the Hood At" drops and you don't want to run through a brick wall I don't want to know you. (Although . . . whew those lyrics would be problematic today.)

RIP to a guy that seemed to have been loved by everyone that came in contact with him.

Reaction Score
I could be getting this wrong but I remember reading that after It's Dark and Hell is Hot came out (best intro ever, by the way) Lyor Cohen bet him a million bucks that he couldn't get another album out by the end of the year. So he dropped Flesh of My Flesh in December and that went to #1 too.

If you weren't around in the late 90s it's hard to explain how huge this guy was. And when the beat on "Where the Hood At" drops and you don't want to run through a brick wall I don't want to know you. (Although . . . whew those lyrics would be problematic today.)

RIP to a guy that seemed to have been loved by everyone that came in contact with him.
His verse on Ni^^az Done Started Something is maybe the hardest verse ever.

Reaction Score
oh I loved DMX music. I was a junior in college when UConn won in 1999. His music always brought me back to that time with UConn winning it all and then going to the nightclubs or dance parties where his music was always pumping. RIP DMX.

Reaction Score
No rapper was a real as DMX never sold out, always went at it hardcore in everything he did lived that way too unfortunately.
Oh yeah, he lived it all right and died by it, too. RIP to a legend.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Can verify that the 97-00 teams listened to DMX, almost exclusively, in the locker room. Similar to Meek Mill for the 11-14 teams. His music is heavily tied to UConn basketball. He was seen in a UConn jersey I believe at the 98 or 99 Big East tourney. The picture is out there somewhere.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Everyone loved X. Everyone. You know why? No BS. Ever. Was what he was.

This sucks.
Not too sure his dogs liked him (twice arrested for animal cruelty), his 15 kids with various baby mamas (avoiding child support), or the IRS (tax fraud).

Reaction Score
Not too sure his dogs liked him (twice arrested for animal cruelty), his 15 kids with various baby mamas (avoiding child support), or the IRS (tax fraud).

Thumbs Down GIFs | Tenor

Reaction Score
I don't think there was ever a bigger rap star than DMX was in 98-99. I know others have had better careers overall, but X when he first came out was bigger than all of them. I remember in middle school if you didn't have "its dark and hell is hot" and "flesh of my flesh blood of my blood" you were a loser. Kids had ruff ryder chains and were barking up and down the hallways.
Youre too young to remember when Snoop and Biggie first came out. But yes, DMX was huge when he hit the mainstream. I hope he finds peace in death that he never found in life. An all time great for sure.
Edit: Eminem was also huge when he first came out.

Last edited:

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
DMX was a beast. No one could emulate his style. If you played sports (or did anything for that matter) between 1998 and 2003, he was your anthem.

I read a book on him once...I believe it was titled EARL (his first name). He lived a tough life that no one deserves to live.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Stay classy.
Simply pointing out facts that shouldn't be celebrated.

Are there other people in the world who you'd celebrate for multiple animal cruelty arrests, having 15 kids (11 out of wedlock), avoiding child support, and tax fraud. Please do name names.

Lots of people make memorable music/art. Some of them are not role models.

Reaction Score

Are there other people in the world who you'd celebrate for multiple animal cruelty arrests, having 15 kids (11 out of wedlock), avoiding child support, and tax fraud. Please do name names.

Check out Ned Flanders over here.

I’m a big Michael Vick fan actually, so yeah.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score

No one is celebrating his misdeeds. No one celebrates yours either. If you lived the life DMX lived I don't think you'd be too well-adjusted either. Consider yourself lucky. You come off as very sheltered. As DMX once said: "meet me outside...meet me outside."

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Seems odd to weigh in on this thread for the sake of being a scold, but we've all got our own thing I guess. Had you heard of this person prior to this week?

Reaction Score
Can verify that the 97-00 teams listened to DMX, almost exclusively, in the locker room. Similar to Meek Mill for the 11-14 teams. His music is heavily tied to UConn basketball. He was seen in a UConn jersey I believe at the 98 or 99 Big East tourney. The picture is out there somewhere.
Somebody needs to find that picture ASAP.

Reaction Score

We are celebrating the good he put out in the world and the good times we experienced through his music. We all know he had his demons and he was far from perfect. The man has passed and in a world filled with so much negativity its nice to focus on the good for a moment. Bringing up what you brought up in this moment is nothing but a dooshbag move.

Reaction Score
As an actor DMX had some kick ass roles in Cradle to the Grave and Exit Wounds.
I always hated seeing my favorite rappers in movies. I was the one person who simply did not like any of those 90s rapper starring flicks. The only exception is Tupac who was a legit acting talent who couldve really developed into award winning level had he lived.

Reaction Score
I always hated seeing my favorite rappers in movies. I was the one person who simply did not like any of those 90s rapper starring flicks. The only exception is Tupac who was a legit acting talent who couldve really developed into award winning level had he lived.

To be fair I never expected exactly stellar roles acting roles in most of the action movies that I care to watch but point well taken. Tupac was a legit natural at acting.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
No one is celebrating his misdeeds. No one celebrates yours either. If you lived the life DMX lived I don't think you'd be too well-adjusted either. Consider yourself lucky. You come off as very sheltered.
Seems odd to weigh in on this thread for the sake of being a scold, but we've all got our own thing I guess. Had you heard of this person prior to this week?
We are celebrating the good he put out in the world and the good times we experienced through his music. We all know he had his demons and he was far from perfect. The man has passed and in a world filled with so much negativity its nice to focus on the good for a moment. Bringing up what you brought up in this moment is nothing but a dooshbag move.
Some posters here certainly appear to be celebrating his staying "hardcore" to the end, or as we used to say, "keeping it real." Sure, the man had demons, but that doesn't give license to shirking responsibility. If the thread was simply kept to the music, I wouldn't have commented. To me, white people celebrating "keeping it real" is simply another way of saying, "let's keep them in their place."

Yeah Ern, I'm well aware of him. I was more a Public Enemy guy for the music and the message. Have a number of 90s/early 00s hip hop CDs, but admittedly I'm less a beats guy as I prefer melody and melodic hooks. These days if I listen to hip hop/rap it's usually trip-hop or stuff like Theophilus London or Childish Gambino and that ilk of genre-bending artists.

XL, I'll happily compared "sheltered" status with you any time you want.

Champs, why not go into the Prince Philip thread and call people dooshbags for criticizing him for being a useless Royal. The guy was wildly entitled, no doubt, but invested a ton of time and money in charity work.
To be fair I never expected exactly stellar roles acting roles in most of the action movies that I care to watch but point well taken. Tupac was a legit natural at acting.
Common is probably a better actor than rapper, IMO.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom