DL Travis Jones headed to Senior Bowl | The Boneyard

DL Travis Jones headed to Senior Bowl

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Hope to see him there. With South Alabama's new football stadium they moved the game to there. Much better facility than Ladd Peebles.

Reaction Score
Good for him. It's time FB pays him paycheck. Thankfully he's been relatively injury free.

Reaction Score
Would’ve loved to see him come back, but don’t blame him. Good luck young man. - you were a ray of sunshine over 4 years of darkness

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Congrats to Travis- hope he comes back, but is collecting big paychecks in the league next season that would be great too. All the best Travis.

Reaction Score
Travis was a bright spot in some pretty tough seasons - he is going to be a solid pro. Force against the run and underrated push in the pocket. Hope the Packers give him a long look in middle rounds.

Reaction Score

-> “The coaching changes and stuff like that, I don’t even think about that,” said Jones, who has earned an invitation to play in the Reese’s Senior Bowl following the season. “My job is to go out there and play, and that’s what I’ve been doing.” <-

-> I’m excited, I’ve seen guys like Matt Peart in [the Senior Bowl] and I wanted to get that opportunity,” Jones said. “Peart was here last week and I spoke to him. He just said I’ve got to go out there and dominate every snap.”

He’ll be lining up opposite NFL-caliber offensive lineman in the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Alabama, on Feb. 5. Jim Nagy, the Senior Bowl’s executive director, has seen Jones play twice, including at Clemson, and called him a “hard-to-move nose [tackle]” who could be eventually be an NFL starter.

“I coached several of those,” said Spanos, who had a long career in the NFL, “I’ve been there and all eyes from the NFL are there. Getting coached by NFL coaches, it’s a great opportunity for him and also great for UConn to have that representation.” <-

Reaction Score

-> 6) Travis Jones, DT, UConn - Jones' combination of size and quickness will be a test for offensive linemen in one-on-one drills. He also possesses power with a 6-5, 330-pound build that can overwhelm unprepared guards and centers. It's a dangerous combination that will entice teams looking for an athletic big man to bolster their front line. <-

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see what Travis can do when he’s not doubled team. Always been a resoectful, well brought up and friendly kid to Chief.

Reaction Score

-> UConn hasn’t been a powerhouse for top prospects in the past, but they’ve been able to produce a star in Jones. Since coming into the program as a freshman in 2018, Jones let his presence be known early in his career. However, Jones didn’t step onto campus as a star; he actually came to UConn in 2018 as a 356-pound guard before making the move to defensive tackle. Jones’ weight was one of the main reasons he ended up at UConn as other schools didn’t see the ability to cut off the bad weight. Soon enough, Jones was able to cut down to 330 pounds while being one of the quickest players on the field. This weight loss and body transformation didn’t come out of nowhere as the UConn staff and Jones’ incredible work ethic put him in position to succeed today. Defensive coordinator Lou Spanos said about Jones last summer, “If we walk in the room, you’ll see Travis first. If he’s 10 yards behind me, you’ll see Travis first.” The staff had nothing but great things to say about his work ethic.

As a defensive tackle, Jones has put up great tape since his freshman year in 2018. UConn wasn’t able to play in 2020 due to COVID, making Jones a three-year starter. His massive size and strength has made him become a problem in the middle of the defensive line against competition as high as Clemson. Jones projects as a pure nose or one-tech, but has the acceleration and twitchiness to rush the passer on third downs. He’s shown the ability to take on double teams and anchor well. As a pass rusher, his length makes it tough for linemen to latch their hands on him and he works his own hands with speed to win reps consistently. Nose tackles with the ability to rush the passer are rare and for many schemes in the NFL, Jones will be a perfect fit. <-

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom