Digging out of the Snowstorm | The Boneyard

Digging out of the Snowstorm

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I understand that Creighton WBB has made it to Storrs and the game will be played tonight. Hopefully, all of the coaches can get out of their driveways to the game.

Living just north of Saratoga Springs, NY, we woke up to 30” of the white stuff. I attacked it with a 28” Ariens, but the snow was higher than the cowling on the snowblower, so I had to “submarine” the snow.

Fortunately, the discharge chute extended above the snow like a periscope. I had to make several passes, as it took me 3 times longer than usual to do the driveway and walk.

It’s still snowing lightly. I’ll probably make another run before settling in to watch the Huskies later today. Everyone stay safe.

Reaction Score
Madison, CT Because of the wind it's hard to tell how much snow is here. Probably best estimate is about 1 foot. I was thinking about getting our snowblower out but our neighbor came over with his snowblower and help us out. Still quite windy though. Still have the walk way to do though. Good exercise!!!

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I understand that Creighton WBB has made it to Storrs and the game will be played tonight. Hopefully, all of the coaches can get out of their driveways to the game.

Living just north of Saratoga Springs, NY, we woke up to 30” of the white stuff. I attacked it with a 28” Ariens, but the snow was higher than the cowling on the snowblower, so I had to “submarine” the snow.

Fortunately, the discharge chute extended above the snow like a periscope. I had to make several passes, as it took me 3 times longer than usual to do the driveway and walk.

It’s still snowing lightly. I’ll probably make another run before settling in to watch the Huskies later today. Everyone stay safe.
Is it bad that I laughed about your description? Well done, knocking it down!

Reaction Score

Sort of Run Silent, Run Deep :D

Reaction Score
Madison, CT Because of the wind it's hard to tell how much snow is here. Probably best estimate is about 1 foot. I was thinking about getting our snowblower out but our neighbor came over with his snowblower and help us out. Still quite windy though. Still have the walk way to do though. Good exercise!!!

Warbler - Bit OT but have you watched Murder on Middle Beach? I thought it was excellent.

Reaction Score
Not too bad in Stamford. Only 7". Brushed off my car and had the guys plowing the apartment complex roads plow out my parking space. Easy, peasy. I finally remembered for the first time in my life to put up the wipers. Made it so much easier brushing off the windshield.

Reaction Score
Warbler - Bit OT but have you watched Murder on Middle Beach? I thought it was excellent.
My wife have been bugging me about it but I lost hbo and did not subscribe to hboMax yet so it's on our list. We are near the shoreline so it's kind of close to home. I like to amend the snow report, it's more than 1 foot and it's heavily packed. I was breathing hard shoveling and not using the snowblower.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Ahhhh. I remember it well. After 45 years living outside of Rochester NY and 22 years outside of Danbury CT' I now get to read about it while wearing shorts and a tee shirt out on my lanai by my pool outside of Tampa.
:(

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Blessings to you my brother.....smh. I saw on the news yesterday that a severe storm was headed your way. I can't imagine opening my door and looking at 30" of snow. I don't do well in cold weather. I shut down almost immediately. I get cold easily, now more than ever in my old age. :confused:

Folks that are born and raised in areas of the country where it snows or gets real cold in the winter get use to it. Those of us born in So Cal are spoiled rotten. It NEVER snows in the metropolitan area of LA. We're at sea level. I've never shoveled snow in my life. No body sells snow blowers around here. If you want snow (to ski), you have to go to the nearby mountains. Lots of ski slopes and resorts in the area. Hope your snow melts real soon. Enjoy your day and the game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ahhhh. I remember it well. After 45 years living outside of Rochester NY and 22 years outside of Danbury CT' I now get to read about it while wearing shorts and a tee shirt out on my lanai by my pool outside of Tampa.
I've shoveled snow in NJ, CT, TN and even NC. As we speak I'm in shorts and a tee, in the lanai and by the pool, and like Poncho Fan, near Tampa. And no, I don't miss snow. It is pretty while it is falling and for a day thereafter, then it is just a pain after that.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Grew up in Indiana, was stationed in Europe, Korea, and Michigan where I saw enough snow to know that when I retired it would be a place where it doesn't snow. I've lived in Vegas for over 20 years and have only seen snow on the ground twice. Both times you could still see the green tips of the grass and it melted away in by 8:00 am. Now the idiots who lived in Vegas all their lives had trouble driving in it, heck they can't drive when it's raining. If I want to play in the snow I'll drive 15 minutes to Mt. Charleston and play there, but haven't done it in the last 10 years or so.

Reaction Score
Owego NY had 43" as of 6 am this morning. I live about 20 minutes away from there and we only got 26". 4 hours later driveway is done, decks are cleaned off and dog path finished. Now I can relax and get ready for tonight's game.
I had forgotten dog path shoveling. While in CT when the snow piled up my back yard was a maze of walkways to accommodate the dog's bathroom needs.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Just finished my last pass with the Ariens as the snow finally stopped in upstate NY. Moved another 4” (34” in all) and also dug out the mailbox.

Now I can relax and look forward to the two most important events of the day: dinner & UConn WBB. :)

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

After living in the Danbury/ Newtown area for 44 years, numerous snow storms & blizzards and two snowblowers, I text with my 2 sons who still live in the area to keep updated as to storms while I enjoy the warmth and sunshine of central Florida/ Pionciana area. Danbury got a foot of snow (#2 son) and Southbury got 7" (#1 son).

Reaction Score
I think we got about 15" here, hard to tell with the drifts. Our snowblower ( a 2 year old Sears Craftsman), which we started over the weekend just to make sure it would start, didn't. So hubby and I shoveled as much of our driveway as we could before I was able to hire someone who was doing a neighbor's driveway.

We have a service contract for this machine, but the soonest Sears can get here to look at it is January 12.

Grrr.

Reaction Score

You must be near Queensbury? I grew up there and still have family residing in that frozen area.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
You must be near Queensbury? I grew up there and still have family residing in that frozen area.
Yes. We’re off Northway Exit 17. Queensbury is off Exit 19, just to the north.

Reaction Score
Long Island - Farmingdale - 5.5 inches of snow -

No sweat since I park my car underneath my building [apartment complex] and building maintenance shovels the walks - :)

Reaction Score
I think we got about 15" here, hard to tell with the drifts. Our snowblower ( a 2 year old Sears Craftsman), which we started over the weekend just to make sure it would start, didn't. So hubby and I shoveled as much of our driveway as we could before I was able to hire someone who was doing a neighbor's driveway.

We have a service contract for this machine, but the soonest Sears can get here to look at it is January 12.

Grrr.
I hope Sears is still in business in January. They are dying a sloooow death along with Penny's.

The worst part of snow removal - clearing a mountain of ice and compacted snow from the head of the driveway every time the dang plow makes a pass.

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
Grew up in Maine and spent my career in Ct. What's frustrating about Ct. winter is the majority of winter weather is slop. Starts as snow and changes to rain or vise versa. At least here we get snow, not slop. Golf here is not good in the winter though. My golf buddies in Ct. ask what I'm doing in Me. and I tell them I like married life. The wife wanted to come back home. She's put up with me for over 50yrs and takes real good care of me, so I'm good with coming home. We only got about 3" where I am and it's tapering off now. I've got plenty of time to get the blower out and have it cleaned up before game time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom