Diet, Exercise, Weight Loss | The Boneyard

Diet, Exercise, Weight Loss

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Seems to fit best here. We've had a few threads touching on this subject. Notably, August lost a bunch of weight at one point. I'm 5'10" and now 228. 242 was my all time worst. I was 195 when I got married in 2001. Goal weight is probably 175-180, depending on muscle mass. Short term goal: cross the 5 pound lines and hold. I crossed the 230 line a month ago and have mostly stayed under it. Next stop, cross 225 and stay under. Under 200 and I'm treating myself to something like expensive Scotch.

For those who don't have a naturally healthy metabolism (and yes, some people just do) what works for you? Certainly compulsive exercise would seem to do the trick but I don't have the time for 2 hours of exercise a day. My Attempts.
  • Crash Keto Diet. No breakfast, just water. 12-14 ounces lean protein (chicken, fish, lean pork). A little high fiber fruit (blackberries, raspberries). Unlimited non-starchy vegetables (broccoli, green beans, asparagus, lettuce...). No salad dressing. No condiments or sauces with sugar (hot sauce is mostly fine). No alcohol at all. In about 8 weeks I went from 236 to 208 in about 8 weeks. Since I was in Ketosis, as soon as I went on maintenance, 5 pounds of water came back. I hovered in the 216-18 range a bit, then in the 220s. But it all came back. Felt lousy. Brain fog. Low energy. Not enough fiber. I think I lost lean muscle mass. There aren't enough calories to exercise on this diet. My all time high came two years after I did this.
  • Weight Watchers. This was good for a 5 pound weight loss over a few weeks (two months ago). It's slow. Also, the zero point for some foods is a loophole I tended to exploit. For me, chicken and beans, including black beans or refried beans were zero. So I could made a taco salad with black beans at nearly zero points. Burritos with no rice were just the low carb tortilla, 4 points. It was too easy to game the point system. Then I could burn my points on bad things.
  • MyFitnesspal. Used off and on for years. After stopping WW, and traveling over the 4th of July, I added 4 pounds drinking beers and eating out on the trip. Got home, fired up MFP this week. Added a new wrinkle I know has been needed: no booze M-Thursday. Dropped 5 pounds this week. That's with 30 minutes of walking or rowing a day. Haven't come close to hitting my 1600 calorie limit (and I ignore added calories from exercise). I feel like this is sustainable. But I haven't been through a weekend yet.

What works for you? What didn't work.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I should get back on MyFitnessPal. It's no magic solution, but just being aware of how many calories you're consuming is helpful.

I'm not one to look to be skinny or even slim. My idea of an ideal weight is still in the 27-28 BMI range. I'm simply not interested in becoming an ascetic for health purposes. I enjoy all kinds of foods and drink, especially when traveling. At 66 and obese, I'm a bit of a medical marvel as blood work vitals are terrific and always have been, but I have to do something as the past five years have taken a toll on knees and back (an ill-conceived return to competitive sports didn't help). Not being able to do all the things I used to do regarding harder yard work, longer dog walks/hikes, and just general activity has led to an additional unwanted 15 lbs.

My biggest issue is trying to get wife on same page as me. I can easily adopt and stick to a Mediterranean diet with lots of fish & veggies (it's helped me drop 20-25 lbs before) but wife loves traditional American meat & 2 sides meals. As I'm the primary cook, it's difficult to please both of us.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
If you drink beer, drink less and you will lose weight.
I do and I’ve already cut way way back on beer. But replacing it with whiskey and wine isn‘t an answer either. Those are better but still liquid calories.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Just remember the lesson of The Tortoise and the Hare: slow and steady wins the race.

MyFitnessPal works because it makes you mindful; so does weighing yourself regularly.

For most of us here, the booze calories are always the elephant in the room. When I was able to exercise twice most days and burn 900-1000 and extra calories, I was able to drink moderately while maintaining or even losing. That worked for almost four years; then an injury, followed by Covid and all that came with it, made the exercise go down and the booze go up. Simple math, in my case anyway.

Now I need to re-lose around 10-15 pounds to be where I want; getting back to MFP with daily weigh-ins, exercising at least five to six days a week, and limiting midweek booze are my three-legged stool.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Just remember the lesson of The Tortoise and the Hare: slow and steady wins the race.

MyFitnessPal works because it makes you mindful; so does weighing yourself regularly.

For most of us here, the booze calories are always the elephant in the room. When I was able to exercise twice most days and burn 900-1000 and extra calories, I was able to drink moderately while maintaining or even losing. That worked for almost four years; then an injury, followed by Covid and all that came with it, made the exercise go down and the booze go up. Simple math, in my case anyway.

Now I need to re-lose around 10-15 pounds to be where I want; getting back to MFP with daily weigh-ins, exercising at least five to six days a week, and limiting midweek booze are my three-legged stool.
Yes, I shared my “hare” experience because while it worked, it wasn’t healthy and I didn’t have a real plan to transition out of it.

I am hoping that fully cutting M-TH booze helps. Booze is doubly bad because as those inhibitions drop, you may snack as well. The Mayo Clinic diet has a rule: no eating if you’re looking at a screen. I get why, but I can’t do that. Instead I just try to make it less calorie dense with something like Skinny Pop.

I just finished 30 minutes on the rowing machine on Saturday morning. Have some light yard work to do as well. I really need to do more weight lifting, but I hate the gym.

Reaction Score
As everyone has already said, I find MyFitnessPal to be pretty useful. I haven't even started tracking calories there but I should. Just regularly tracking my weight has kept me on course so far.

I'm 6'5 so in a whole different weight bracket. I've lost around 10 pounds in 2 weeks so far so I'm down around 260 now. So far have just cut out the fatty breakfasts and snacking, and when ordering out go for a sandwich or salad over a big meal. I'd like to end up around 240, so still a ways to go. Already work out most days and don't drink anymore, so eating better is really the only avenue to get there

Reaction Score
I hate to say it is simple as diet and exercise, but it is.

Six years ago I lost 50 pounds and have kept it off. It is all about a lifestyle change.

I used to eat like crap (sausage/egg & cheese) every morning and drink way too much and barely any physical activity. I was 225-230 and decided to do something about it.

First I changed my diet, light healthy breakfast, fruit/yogurt, didn’t cut back much on lunch, but added carrot sticks and things like that instead of chips. Very light healthy dinner, and the simple things like no eating after 8. I also try not to eat any processed foods. No skinny pop whatever that is, I can guarantee that is not good for you.

I also quit drinking (try it, you won’t miss it after a few weeks, and if you can’t you may have a problem), now I rarely drink anything with calories, black coffee and water/selzer. What you drink can contain hidden calorie bombs.

Start really exercising, run if you can. If you are not sweating and out of breath after 30 minutes on the rowing machine you are not doing it right. You need to get your heart rate up. Go as hard as you can for one minute they slow for 2-3 minutes, repeat and try to increase that one minute over time. Instead of weights, try some yoga moves and some planks, there is plenty on youtube. I start out every morning doing the 5 tibetan rites. The 5 Tibetan Rites support emotional well-being, normalize hormonal imbalances & more Things like that will get your core solid. Pick up some outdoor activity, I actually started rowing on the water. Bike, hike, join a crossfit gym. Do little thinks like park as far away from the store as you can, and take the stairs.

Good luck and once you change your lifestyle it becomes easy and you won’t want to go back. The thought of a breakfast sandwhich now makes me nauseous.

It doesn’t mean you have to give up everything, my general rule is there are 21 meals in a week and I allow myself 3 cheat meals.

Good luck!

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I also quit drinking (try it, you won’t miss it after a few weeks, and if you can’t you may have a problem), now I rarely drink anything with calories, black coffee and water/selzer. What you drink can contain hidden calorie bombs.
screen name =/= post

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'orandum est ut sit mens sana in corpore sano.
You should pray for a healthy mind in a healthy body.'

Juvenal, roman poet.

ya gotta get your mind right, first.
the simplest way to get your mind right is proper rest.
when properly rested, mindless things like eating while standing, the extra drink when u know that u were done, swiggin coffee milkshakes instead of plain old black coffee, and many other bad habits, disappear on their own, because your mind and body are well rested and you can 'think clearly.'
men have grown two inches, along with aboot 30 pounds extra since modern life went into overdrive aboot 60 years ago.
too much noise. too many distractions. too much television. (my definition of 'television' is any screen, anywhere.) not sustainable from an evolutionary perspective. just becuz we have the mind capacity to handle full rpms doesn't mean we should be mentally running at full rpms all the time.
'evolutionary perspective.' the numero uno ailment for all of us monkeys is back pain, which makes sense becuz you can't go from like a zillion years of walking on all fours to suddenly (say a half million or so) walking on two. that's gotta hurt! and now, we double down by sitting too much!
overstimulated, electronically, and understimulated, solar-ly. the legit research on the total effect of these two is indisputable.
i've always believed that a typical version of one of us monkeys, to be in good and balanced working order, only needs aboot 3 or 4 one hour or so outdoor walks every week to be able to eat well, move age appropriately well, and think clearly, if properly rested.
sleep has become a yuge industry. all nonsense, along with calorie counting, diet poison drinks, measuring weight (your pants and your energy level will tell you that!), food manias, quack medical advice, prescription med abuse, soo many dead ends diverting our energy, which should firstly be focused on getting proper rest. when i do a lot, i eat a lot, like 6000 or 8000 'calories' at times. when i do a little, i eat a little, like 2000 calories or so. i don't count them, either. and, if i don't move enough, i don't become physically tired enough to rest enough. that's how it works.
it all goes together quite easily, on a typical day with no thought necessary, becuz most times i awake well rested. really speeds up the healing, too.
and water. that stuff is magic. i guzzle it out of the hosepipe, and wonder why people pay for it at the store. more madness.
the only specific food thought that i would add is yogurt, plain old entry level, inexpensive (taste dependent) yogurt. it's kinda like rest for your digestion.
sugar, salt, fat, carbs, all the rest of that nonsense can't run away with you if you start with a healthy mind that's properly rested. and, rest is the fuel that drives our immune system.
oprah's still fat, in spite of her cauliflower pizzas. eat the real thing, it's healthier for you cuz it satisfies your mind. prolly make u a bit drowzy, too.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I'll read this thread later...but 4 years ago I used the Lose It app to count calories along with establishing rules like no fast food, no soda, no eating after 7pm. Lost 20lbs in 3 months. Getting Babesiosis dropped 8 more pounds.

Needless to say, I didn't stay on track and am rebooting today.

Doubling down on the diet as my wife's recent rise in uric acid levels has us wickedly changing up the diet.

Reaction Score
While I do not have any suggestions or advice for dieting, per se, an important strategy is to take note on certain foods or ways of eating food have an effect on you.

Since I've been aware of that, I've making adjustments to my food/alcohol intake starting about ten years ago (I'm 35) and I've been able to maintain a relatively healthy lifestyle while still loving food and having a few drinks now and then. Some things I've noticed:

Gluten. In my mid-20s, I started having pretty bad reactions to gluten (stomach issues, brain fog, mental health stuff), so I cut that out and have been gluten free for about 10 years now. It's a lot easier than it sounds.

Avoiding eating late. When I do, I sleep worse and I tend to have digestion issues the next day.

Avoiding meat. I've noticed I have more energy the less meat I eat. I wouldn't say I'm a strict pescatarian, but at this point, I basically only eat meat if it's my only choice when offered. For example, we were at a wedding in Brooklyn last night and the last course was an amazing sirloin with a mint pesto. It was freakin' delicious, I loved it, but the steak + the late meal = feeling pretty awful today and that's with me having just one glass of wine since we drove down for the wedding.

Avoiding non-fermented dairy. I love yogurt and eat it almost every day, but I notice my body acts weird to dairy. I'll still eat cheese or ice cream every once in a while (my favorite dessert), but it gives me a sinus headache and sometimes messes up my digestion

Avoiding excess sugar. I love fruit, but "sweets" are no good for me. I don't like the hyper feeling and if I have sugar late in the evening, I tend to wake up with a hangover worse than alcohol

Alcohol in moderation. I love red wine and enjoy a bourbon every now and then, but I'm 5'9 160 and my heavy drinking days of high school and college have whittled down to me being a lightweight. Most of my alcohol consumption when I was younger was based more on fitting in socially, but now I almost see alcohol as a hang out at home thing where I actually prefer socializing with at most a very small buzz. Hangovers hit harder nowadays.

Eating more frequently. One of my least favorite things about Thanksgiving is waiting to eat until 3 PM...I'll eat a light lunch at like 11 because if I only eat breakfast, I'd be miserable waiting to eat til 3 PM and then feel like crap after.

Eating real food. A simple rule, but I feel so much better when the food I am eating is just food and not filled with preservatives or any other artificial thing. That's getting easier and easier to do as bigger brands are keeping their food simpler. For example, at a party, I'll reach for potato chips over doritos. Another example, there's an awesome ice cream place near Calf Pasture beach (shout out to Mr. Frosty's) but last time we went to the beach, we instead ordered crappy soft serve from the cafe and right away I felt my stomach churning. No shock my body felt better after the more "wholesome" ice cream than the weird stuff.

In terms of exercise, do it, but to a point where you enjoy it. I love walks and I try to do some type of strength training four days a week, but usually never more than 30 minutes a day. I would never work out at a gym for an hour or more, just not for me. I also like working out by myself: I loathe any class (except attending my wife's yoga class once a week, partially out of support to her) and I don't like being with friends at a regular gym. I maximize time by doing split sets, which is also a nice way to keep the heart rate high while only doing strength training.

In summary, do what works best for you because sustaining a healthy habit is the key. Best of luck to you all!

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'sleep has become a yuge industry. all nonsense,'

i don't need no stinkin chinese shoe whore, hawkin another electronic stimulation thing, to know how to rest, naturally. he does have a talent for chasing cash, so i gotta give that to him.
you want to rest better? tire ur butt out, cuz when it hits the sheets, it'll drag your brain along with it.

in my best comedian steven wright voice:
'i let superdog out for a run. he went right to a puddle, and drank it.
later, i couldn't find 'rainwater' flavored in the water section at the store...'

mebbe i can sell this one to him.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
beefmeat? dairy?
odd that some of the statistically tallest, longest living, and sharpest cookies on the planet, live in the land of the cow, ie nordic'ish folks.
why do you think that one of histories' most famous parties was the one where the 'golden' calf was the star attraction?

of course, the kings of longevity and measured intellect are the Japanese.
some kind of almost perfect food tradition they got going on there, including kobe-ushi (kobe cattle). u want to heal up some broken parts?
eat that stuff (as always, in moderation and balance). tasty.
they don't call it 'cowboy' ribeyes for nuthin. eat that stuff, and u'll be wranglin and rasslin steers in no time.
i think provolone was one of the ancients 'four elements of life.'
ya know, water, air, fire, and cheese.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
While I do not have any suggestions or advice for dieting, per se, an important strategy is to take note on certain foods or ways of eating food have an effect on you.

Since I've been aware of that, I've making adjustments to my food/alcohol intake starting about ten years ago (I'm 35) and I've been able to maintain a relatively healthy lifestyle while still loving food and having a few drinks now and then. Some things I've noticed:

Gluten. In my mid-20s, I started having pretty bad reactions to gluten (stomach issues, brain fog, mental health stuff), so I cut that out and have been gluten free for about 10 years now. It's a lot easier than it sounds.

Avoiding eating late. When I do, I sleep worse and I tend to have digestion issues the next day.

Avoiding meat. I've noticed I have more energy the less meat I eat. I wouldn't say I'm a strict pescatarian, but at this point, I basically only eat meat if it's my only choice when offered. For example, we were at a wedding in Brooklyn last night and the last course was an amazing sirloin with a mint pesto. It was freakin' delicious, I loved it, but the steak + the late meal = feeling pretty awful today and that's with me having just one glass of wine since we drove down for the wedding.

Avoiding non-fermented dairy. I love yogurt and eat it almost every day, but I notice my body acts weird to dairy. I'll still eat cheese or ice cream every once in a while (my favorite dessert), but it gives me a sinus headache and sometimes messes up my digestion

Avoiding excess sugar. I love fruit, but "sweets" are no good for me. I don't like the hyper feeling and if I have sugar late in the evening, I tend to wake up with a hangover worse than alcohol

Alcohol in moderation. I love red wine and enjoy a bourbon every now and then, but I'm 5'9 160 and my heavy drinking days of high school and college have whittled down to me being a lightweight. Most of my alcohol consumption when I was younger was based more on fitting in socially, but now I almost see alcohol as a hang out at home thing where I actually prefer socializing with at most a very small buzz. Hangovers hit harder nowadays.

Eating more frequently. One of my least favorite things about Thanksgiving is waiting to eat until 3 PM...I'll eat a light lunch at like 11 because if I only eat breakfast, I'd be miserable waiting to eat til 3 PM and then feel like crap after.

Eating real food. A simple rule, but I feel so much better when the food I am eating is just food and not filled with preservatives or any other artificial thing. That's getting easier and easier to do as bigger brands are keeping their food simpler. For example, at a party, I'll reach for potato chips over doritos. Another example, there's an awesome ice cream place near Calf Pasture beach (shout out to Mr. Frosty's) but last time we went to the beach, we instead ordered crappy soft serve from the cafe and right away I felt my stomach churning. No shock my body felt better after the more "wholesome" ice cream than the weird stuff.

In terms of exercise, do it, but to a point where you enjoy it. I love walks and I try to do some type of strength training four days a week, but usually never more than 30 minutes a day. I would never work out at a gym for an hour or more, just not for me. I also like working out by myself: I loathe any class (except attending my wife's yoga class once a week, partially out of support to her) and I don't like being with friends at a regular gym. I maximize time by doing split sets, which is also a nice way to keep the heart rate high while only doing strength training.

In summary, do what works best for you because sustaining a healthy habit is the key. Best of luck to you all!

You have good advice.

But Gluten isnt a real thing. If you feel better, that's all that matters.

1% of Americans have celiac which is the only documented gluten intolerant disease. But in the 21st century everyone and their sister cant have gluten. It doesn't add up unless it is a marketing ploy.

Again, no one has to eat gluten, what do I care? But GF is laughable and designed to rip off the same people who believed GMO's would kill the world.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
You have good advice.

1% of Americans have celiac which is the only documented gluten intolerant disease. But in the 21st century everyone and their sister cant have gluten. It doesn't add up unless it is a marketing ploy.

Again, no one has to eat gluten, what do I care? But GF is laughable and designed to rip off the same people who believed GMO's would kill the world.
Agreed. It's literally plant protein, which is arguably the best part of the grain. The rest of the wheat is mostly carbs that convert to sugar, so I wonder if gluten free folks are actually avoiding sugar, and that's the positive impact.

Solid advice otherwise. Eating late is a problem that tends to go along with eating while watching TV or a movie in my mind. As for avoiding meat, I think chicken breast, fish, turkey breast, lean pork and even lean beef are fine. It's not hard to be mindful of what is or isn't lean.

Condiments can be high in sugar, fat and calories...or not. It pays to read labels. BBQ can be a killer. Mayo is bad. But quite a lot of hot sauces are almost no calories.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
You have good advice.

i liked for the gist, ie, another fake mania. but...
gluten is the protein found in wheat, and some other grasses, but mostly not in rice, which isn't food anyway. lol.
northern grown wheat, 'Hard winter wheats have a higher gluten protein content than other wheats' were, until relatively recently, mostly unavailable to folks living near the equator, the hot places, and so as time went on, and they got exposed to it, some of those folks digestion be like 'what the heck is this? we got no system to deal with this stuff...' kinda like many folks from non-cow cultures and the lacto thing -no digestive experience.
the good news is that exogene adaptation only takes like a generation or so for many lactointolerant cultures to get jiggy with it. on the udder hand, man is pretty much the only animal regularly eating milk as an adult, so there's that.
i said 'milk,' the good stuff, and not that soy/almond/garbage some have convinced themselves is milk. takes like a gallon of water to grow one stinkin almond. stop killing the planet, hippies.
and stop making every outlying issue mainstream for the rest of us, hippies.
plain ol skippy (peanut allergies! not. u raised ur spawn wrong, don't blame us) on white bread. delish. the good bread, with extry gluten.
gluten free pizza dough? yeah, um no. tastes and chews like .... well, take it away, eric.
st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.u1.jpg

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Agreed. It's literally plant protein, which is arguably the best part of the grain. The rest of the wheat is mostly carbs that convert to sugar, so I wonder if gluten free folks are actually avoiding sugar, and that's the positive impact.

Solid advice otherwise. Eating late is a problem that tends to go along with eating while watching TV or a movie in my mind. As for avoiding meat, I think chicken breast, fish, turkey breast, lean pork and even lean beef are fine. It's not hard to be mindful of what is or isn't lean.

Condiments can be high in sugar, fat and calories...or not. It pays to read labels. BBQ can be a killer. Mayo is bad. But quite a lot of hot sauces are almost no calories.
more 'fat is bad' mania.
good luck!
sure seems to me that there are a lot of obese folks these days living on 'lean' meats. weirdorama.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
started during the spring of '20, when i developed a habit of asking neighbors 'what are u having for dinner?' it's become such a routine that it seems like some of them now be like "oh, oh, here comes cliff ... what are we having for dinner tonight?, cuz he's going to ask...'
good stuff, big fun.
the other day, i drop the question to a 40 something couple, active, vigorous, yet like many recently, caught up in the 'we gots to lose weight' thing.
bison, she sez. i say 'oh, buffalo..' of course, like so many others lately witha seeming trigger to be 'right' or 'smart,' she sez 'no, bison.'
(American bison (Bison bison), also commonly referred to as the American buffalo or simply "buffalo" in North America.) all just cows to me, with different levels of good taste.
okeydoke, movin on....
so im like 'bison? that stuff is drier than my sneakers left out in the sun for a week, don't u think?' of course, i get the 'lower fat lecture.' i ask him 'u down with this? i thought that u were a steak and burger guy? 'well you know, i'll just put something on it...'
i used to live near Tommy's Joint on van ness in frisco, where bison/buffalo was their calling card. after first time there, friend asks 'what'd think?'
'it blows, tastes dull, and just becuz that cow only ate tumbleweeds it's whole life, it won't do anything for my health prospects.'
2 all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions, on a sesame seed bun.
music to my ears. next day i asked him 'how was it?'
'it blows.'

one more pie a la mode, gonna need my own zip code..
got more chins, than chinatown...

ham on it, ham on it...
the interesting thing is that, statistically, a little extra weight on past age 65, is completely irrelevant to projected longevity going forward. when i see folks putting it on, i always think 'stress.' stress kills. not edible fat.
'u need to sleep more...' stress is a mental condition, and the product of a tired mind. or an overstimulated mind. forget the 'magic number,' (weight, calories, etc) forget all that hokum, just work toward a sustainable daily routine of consumption, bolstered by proper rest.
and water.

'sesame seed' man, iffn u want some righteous tasting fat, tune in to halvah, tahini, all that. tasty. hummus rules.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom