Did Ted Lasso just "jump the shark"? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Did Ted Lasso just "jump the shark"?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Did Ted Lasso just "jump the shark"? What the heck was that last episode? A Christmas special in August?

It was amazing.

You should not be allowed to walk free.

Reaction Score
My favorite part of the character is that Brett Goldstein wrote the character and then got to casting and decided he was the best person to play the character

Pulled a Dick Cheney

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I just caught up last night too.

Did people not see that Sam is the one with whom Rebecca appears to be chatting on the dating app?
I did. I was like....

Happy Parks And Rec GIF

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I did. I was like....

Happy Parks And Rec GIF
So, I didn’t realize at the time that episode six had just dropped on Friday, while we were catching up on episodes four and five. I thought those who had been discussing the likelihood that it was Ted had already seen that episode and missed the Sam info; now I realize the timing.

Should be interesting to see where they go with it and how long they string it out.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So, I didn’t realize at the time that episode six had just dropped on Friday, while we were catching up on episodes four and five. I thought those who had been discussing the likelihood that it was Ted had already seen that episode and missed the Sam info; now I realize the timing.

Should be interesting to see where they go with it and how long they string it out.

She's not going to date Sam, but I think it may cause her to be a bit more open minded. That last boyfriend was the central casting version of what a rich British woman wants...but it's not what she wants.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
She's not going to date Sam, but I think it may cause her to be a bit more open minded. That last boyfriend was the central casting version of what a rich British woman wants...but it's not what she wants.
What I mean is how long they will string it out in terms of them not knowing who is at the other end of their flirtation.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
What I mean is how long they will string it out in terms of them not knowing who is at the other end of their flirtation.

Not long.

Resolutions are nearly instant in this show.

Reaction Score
I can't wait for Nate to get put in his place sometime in these next few episodes. He's become a real d bag

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I can't wait for Nate to get put in his place sometime in these next few episodes. He's become a real d bag
I get the sense that we are supposed to be learning a lesson through him.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Pretty weak episode this week IMO. Not bad, but feels like treading water.

I think they thought the Ted therapy was the highlight, but it was a bit overdone. Then the whole thing with Nate's hero complex. Definitely not the best, but I think it's a set up episode for Ted's real therapy and Sam and Rebecca. Nate issue seems solved, I hope. Keely/Roy solved, and I did enjoy Jamie explaining how he needed to give his teammate space...then Roy realizing he's wrong as a coach and a partner to Keeley. Karma, and best part of the episode.

Reaction Score
I think they thought the Ted therapy was the highlight, but it was a bit overdone. Then the whole thing with Nate's hero complex. Definitely not the best, but I think it's a set up episode for Ted's real therapy and Sam and Rebecca. Nate issue seems solved, I hope. Keely/Roy solved, and I did enjoy Jamie explaining how he needed to give his teammate space...then Roy realizing he's wrong as a coach and a partner to Keeley. Karma, and best part of the episode.
Nate issue is definitely not solved, the episode ended with him going into the boot room and attacking Will again about the jersey. Was off camera so up to the imagination if it was a verbal or physical attack, but I suspect Ted is about to handle that

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Nate issue is definitely not solved, the episode ended with him going into the boot room and attacking Will again about the jersey. Was off camera so up to the imagination if it was a verbal or physical attack, but I suspect Ted is about to handle that
I think the Nate issue is going to take a darker turn before it gets solved. And there will be some sort of hubris/social media lesson in there.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
A couple of visits to the shrink and Nate will be as good as new.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I think the Nate issue is going to take a darker turn before it gets solved. And there will be some sort of hubris/social media lesson in there.

Totally forgot. Yeah, this goes back to his father. He is treating people the way his father treats him, or some such.

Reaction Score

Jason Sudeikis said this season would be like The Empire Strikes Back.

I think Nate got a taste and he will become an antagonist if there is a such thing on this show.

Reaction Score
Jason Sudeikis said this season would be like The Empire Strikes Back.

I think Nate got a taste and he will become an antagonist if there is a such thing on this show.

Hopefully it's not a retread of the Jamie Tartt arc from the first season and he gets hired by another side only to come back on an opposing team in a climactic moment.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Hopefully it's not a retread of the Jamie Tartt arc from the first season and he gets hired by another side only to come back on an opposing team in a climactic moment.
So far they have done a pretty good job of mixing just enough of the feel-good stuff to keep it uplifting (e.g., the dart game) with unexpected gut-punches (e.g., the ending of the match that relegated them) to remind us that life is like that.

CL82

Reaction Score
FWIW, I didn't mind last week's episode. The name of it was "Headspace" IIRC and it was essentially a look at the underlying flaws of the main characters. Ted's panic attacks feel like they are going to be a season long issue. Nate had been shat on for long time by his dad and the prior coaching regime. Rebecca's fear of commitment is an ongoing arc. The only one off is Roy Kent's clinginess.

As Fishy alluded to, a lot of shows introduce and resolve issues in a single episode. It's a good thing, IMO, if they take their time figuring these out. Sudeikis is good at portraying dark characters with a veneer of cheerfulness.

I suspect that they are going to do a fathers and sons show where Nate, Jamie and Ted (and maybe Rebecca and/or Roy) reveal that their relationships with their dads have shaped them negatively. Just a guess, but there has been groundwork for it.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I suspect that they are going to do a fathers and sons show where Nate, Jamie and Ted (and maybe Rebecca and/or Roy) reveal that their relationships with their dads have shaped them negatively Just a guess, but there has been groundwork for it.
Good call. Perhaps in the meantime we'll also find out that that's what's at the root of Ted's issues.

CL82

Reaction Score
Good call. Perhaps in the meantime we'll also find out that that's what's at the root of Ted's issues.
Abusive alcoholic father and the coping skill of pretending that everything is alright is my guess. We've seen Ted ready to crawl into a bottle when he's depressed from the Christmas show. We've seen that he's good at defecting negative comments, like being called a wanker or media criticisms. I think that they are going to use that as the underlying basis for his relentless cheerfulness and crippling panic attacks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom