Did Ted Lasso just "jump the shark"? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Did Ted Lasso just "jump the shark"?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He coached the goal that tied City.
Sort of. I’d like to see him spot a situational mismatch and take advantage of it.

According to Juno and Hannah, even though there are several guys in the cast who play quite well, the actor playing Beard is the guy who knows soccer best. It will be interesting to see if they rely on Roy for situational tactics and match strategy. Nate was seemingly concerned, as he clearly just got demoted.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
According to Juno and Hannah, even though there are several guys in the cast who play quite well, the actor playing Beard is the guy who knows soccer best. It will be interesting to see if they rely on Roy for situational tactics and match strategy. Nate was seemingly concerned, as he clearly just got demoted.
One of the things that like about this show is the foreshadowing. It is just a quick glance from Nate, but there will likely be an episode or two where there find their equilibrium.

Speaking of which, how do you feel about "Doc" Fieldstone? I feel like they are working up to an episode with Ted going to see her.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
One of the things that like about this show is the foreshadowing. It is just a quick glance from Nate, but there will likely be an episode or two where there find their equilibrium.

Speaking of which, how do you feel about "Doc" Fieldstone? I feel like they are working up to an episode with Ted going to see her.

Could go a few different ways. Ted said no thanks to help for Isaac, and solved it with Roy. She saw that. I think they can learn from each other, but someone will have to crack first. She's needlessly salty and you have to wonder if Ted will rub off on her. Meanwhile, he's dealing with some and really has nobody. Ted love interest has to come into the picture soon.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Could go a few different ways. Ted said no thanks to help for Isaac, and solved it with Roy. She saw that. I think they can learn from each other, but someone will have to crack first. She's needlessly salty and you have to wonder if Ted will rub off on her. Meanwhile, he's dealing with some and really has nobody. Ted love interest has to come into the picture soon.
You saw them cut to Ted on his phone right after Rebecca's texting, right? Has to be a swerve. Good stuff is coming, these first few shows have been a bit heavy on set-up. I think the shrink ends up getting Ted back with his wife since that's a happy ending but I don't like to jump ahead.

CL82

Reaction Score
You saw them cut to Ted on his phone right after Rebecca's texting, right? Has to be a swerve. Good stuff is coming, these first few shows have been a bit heavy on set-up. I think the shrink ends up getting Ted back with his wife since that's a happy ending but I don't like to jump ahead.
I saw that and I think that they are texting each other on that anonymous dating app. Again, just subtle foreshadowing.

Reaction Score
I saw that and I think that they are texting each other on that anonymous dating app. Again, just subtle foreshadowing.
That seems too obvious, although I guess it's a comedy so maybe that is the route they go

CL82

Reaction Score
That seems too obvious, although I guess it's a comedy so maybe that is the route they go
I guess if you want to go all "next level" they could think that they are texting each other and reconcile themselves to the mutual attraction, only to find out that they really weren't. Then they'd have the whole Sam and Diane "unspoken thing" going.

(Yeah, though I thought that was a likely plot point when Keeley told them to try an anonymous 'dating' app.)

CL82

Reaction Score
My favorite part of the character is that Brett Goldstein wrote the character and then got to casting and decided he was the best person to play the character
Kind of cool to have Coach Beard and Roy Kent being written and performed by the same guys.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Saw that. I think it's a feint. I hope it is. They don't have romantic chemistry at all the way Brett/Juno - Roy/Keeley definitely do. It would feel forced, although confusion around it could be funny.

CL82

Reaction Score
Saw that. I think it's a feint. I hope it is. They don't have romantic chemistry at all the way Brett/Juno - Roy/Keeley definitely do. It would feel forced, although confusion around it could be funny.
Plus you have the Sassy love triangle angle. Keep in mind the Christmas show and Sassy talking about Ted was 'marvelous' to Rebecca. It's in play. What they do with it, I'm not sure.

Reaction Score
I'd love an episode which actually had Ted, you know, coaching. I get the premise that he knew nothing about the game when starting, but he's been at a year now.

In English speak. Ted is what you call a man manager.

CL82

Reaction Score
I just think that in the vitriolic dystopia we live in, this show is just what the doctor ordered. Everyone should heed the advice “don’t be judge mental, be curious”.
That was the darts, right? Great scene.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I just think that in the vitriolic dystopia we live in, this show is just what the doctor ordered. Everyone should heed the advice “don’t be judge mental, be curious”.

That was the darts, right? Great scene.
Saw that episode last night, as we binged the last three of season one. It's a Walt Whitman quote: "Be curious, not judgmental." Awesome scene:

My oldest daughter summed it up perfectly after we finished last night's viewing: "I'm crying over this stupid show!"

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Saw that episode last night, as we binged the last three of season one. It's a Walt Whitman quote: "Be curious, not judgmental." Awesome scene:

My oldest daughter summed it up perfectly after we finished last night's viewing: "I'm crying over this stupid show!"

I'll miss watching it with my daughter after this Friday. I've tried to put my finger on what makes this show unique. Ted's uncommon approach to life and people for sure, but there is a certain authenticity from the writing. Take Higgins, wife driving him in his Volvo wagon with 5 sons, his stand-up bass playing, being home when the Boss texts him. Roy's constant swearing and anger, while being a great uncle to Phoebe, plus the look into his hard council estate upbringing. All these people are so flawed and ultimately human and we are exposed to small details of their lives, not just big events. So they become relatable in a way people in most sitcoms never are. Has there ever been a 30 minute show like this shot on location?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'll miss watching it with my daughter after this Friday. I've tried to put my finger on what makes this show unique. Ted's uncommon approach to life and people for sure, but there is a certain authenticity from the writing. Take Higgins, wife driving him in his Volvo wagon with 5 sons, his stand-up bass playing, being home when the Boss texts him. Roy's constant swearing and anger, while being a great uncle to Phoebe, plus the look into his hard council estate upbringing. All these people are so flawed and ultimately human and we are exposed to small details of their lives, not just big events. So they become relatable in a way people in most sitcoms never are. Has there ever been a 30 minute show like this shot on location?
Good points. It has some unique mojo for sure. I think the Whitman quote nails the essence of the attraction; that, and the realization that we are all horribly flawed and therefore perfectly human.

Our oldest, with whom we have been watching, is moving to NYC on Sunday so we are trying to get caught up by then, but she just panicked last night about being able to watch it once she moves because it is our AppleTV account. Haven’t figured that part out yet…

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Good points. It has some unique mojo for sure. I think the Whitman quote nails the essence of the attraction; that, and the realization that we are all horribly flawed and therefore perfectly human.

Our oldest, with whom we have been watching, is moving to NYC on Sunday so we are trying to get caught up by then, but she just panicked last night about being able to watch it once she moves because it is our AppleTV account. Haven’t figured that part out yet…

Share the password? I use LastPass Family Account, and assume my daughter will use all of our accounts while in College (also Sunday for us).

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Share the password? I use LastPass Family Account, and assume my daughter will use all of our accounts while in College (also Sunday for us).
She asked if it was possible to do that and I said I didn’t know. I hope it’s easy enough.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
All these people are so flawed and ultimately human and we are exposed to small details of their lives, not just big events.
A big chunk of the joy here comes from the journey, the small stuff you mention. That's why the recent criticism (not here) that the "narrative" isn't being advanced quickly enough for some really frosts me. Reminds me of those that want to get rid of the offsides rule. Sure, get rid of what makes something special in the first place.

Reaction Score

It’s comfort tv spiked with hard liquor. The message is great. The character arcs are on point. You don’t need to know the full details of Roy’s childhood, they give you just enough to fill in the blanks.

Reaction Score
She asked if it was possible to do that and I said I didn’t know. I hope it’s easy enough.
Apple doesn't have multiple user option so just remember what episode you are on.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom