Did he really say that? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Did he really say that?

Reaction Score
Don't even try and pin this on the BY! Geno is the one that squarely put this out there probably because he got tired of waiting for improvement from ONO.

" I could see her (Aaliyah) next year getting the bulk of the touches among all of the post players. I have incredibly high expectations for Aaliyah, and for where she's going in the future. And Liv is going to be a senior. If Liv stays the same, then it’s obviously going to be a difficult senior year for Liv.

he didn't specifically say she would be benched, perhaps she just wouldn't be a focus of the offense..............her shot blocking intimidation is invaluable and far more impactful than AE's............. some on the BY were calling for her benching even before DJ signed on and before GA's comments

Reaction Score
The thing that drew me most to the UConn women was not the winning but the beauty of their execution. Many times Auriemma stated that their goal was not winning but perfection. I buy into that.

There are trade-offs with most things, that includes roster size. Of course there are many factors to consider that make any comparison complicated but a large roster size is not a pure positive as many are assuming. A large, diverse roster size provides more strategies to win, overcoming problems like foul trouble, injuries or opponents that present diverse problems. However, a smaller roster provides a greater possibility for good chemistry and more repetitions per player. Chemistry and repetitions are necessary ingredients for chasing perfection.

Notre Dame won a recent championship despite being plagued with injuries. They had two “chemistry magnets” in Westbeld and Shepherd and a very small roster that received abundant repetitions practicing together over the course of the year. Many on the BY grudgingly praised the Domers for playing a style much like our Huskies. We did not similarly praise SC or Baylor.

Adding DJ at this point increases the ways by which we might win a championship, but decreases the flawlessness of that pursuit. Transfers have less time to be nurtured into the team style and chemistry. I cannot think of a transfer that has helped our chemistry in the past, though I would say that happened with Shepherd and Notre Dame. Fortunately we already have “chemistry magnets” in Bueckers and Westbrook. Perhaps more are on the way. Will that be enough to play the beautiful basketball of the small Notre Dame roster or many of our past teams? Only time will tell.

I can. Brittany Hunter. Her bad knees severely limited her minutes but she started a lot of games and was dominant for the 10 minutes or so that she played.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I can. Brittany Hunter. Her bad knees severely limited her minutes but she started a lot of games and was dominant for the 10 minutes or so that she played.
See my subsequent comments.

Reaction Score
When I watch new players like AE and PB come to UConn and play extremely well. my last thought is...boy these guys are taking minutes away from somebody.

I can't recall any Auriemma team that had this many players, and this many players with talent who weren't injured. UConn teams have historically had very weak benches. In fact, short benches are almost a hallmark of UConn basketball.

Reaction Score
you may be one of the folks that consider her a bust but I certainly don't...........she's never going to be a physical low post banger like Charli Collier or Boston but if she played 30 plus minutes per game her numbers would be as good as any post player in the nation..........defensively she has been very good and her passing and screening on the offensive end are first rate.............it's her finishing at the basket against stronger opponents that's her major issue and what the coaches should be working on this summer.........and yes she needs to develop more confidence and aggression but she's come a long way in my opinion..............as I said in an earlier post. UConn shouldn't need her to score all that much next season with Fudd adding 15-20 points per game but I bet we see ONO and Edwards both get more open chances as defenses are stretched against the outside shooting barrage coming their way........BTW I can envision ONO and DJ playing at the same time just as Edwards and ONO did this past season.....

I think her numbers were pumped up by playing less than stellar Big East competition. Her performances in tourney games were not good. And Coach Geno has made clear that if her senior year is like her junior year, it's going to be a problem. That was the coach himself.

Reaction Score
I think her numbers were pumped up by playing less than stellar Big East competition. Her performances in tourney games were not good. And Coach Geno has made clear that if her senior year is like her junior year, it's going to be a problem. That was the coach himself.
her numbers were pumped up along with everybody else on UConn...........all I know is it''s defense that wins NCs and she's the most intimidating defender on a team which suffers defensively when she's not on the court..........next season her number one job is to defend the lane, block/alter shots and rebound.........her number two job is to screen and pass from the high post and her number three job will be to score...........as I've pointed out before, her points will be less important but possibly easier to come by with Azzi Fudd joining the back court.....I could envision DJ playing outside with ONO or AE inside from time to time........it's a problem I think we will enjoy more often than not next season.....

Reaction Score
Don’t question Geno about Arizona. Don’t question Geno about a short bench. Geno didn’t miss the lay-ups.

Geno brought in a big via transfer. Wait, what?!?!?!

Reaction Score
Don’t question Geno about Arizona. Don’t question Geno about a short bench. Geno didn’t miss the lay-ups.

Geno brought in a big via transfer. Wait, what?!?!?!

Huh????????????

You realize Jorka wasn't on the team this past year, right? Unless you are suggesting all players are equal? Just throw any player in there and they will perform because you say so?

Reaction Score
Discounting Chernobyl, of course.
That was an assault of a Russian built and run reactor on Ukrainian soil. "Midnight maintenance" out of controll Russia is still trying to absorb more Ukrainian assests and ground....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom