Did he really say that? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Did he really say that?

Reaction Score
I believe that he championed Heliocentric theory (Sun at center of solar system). Earth as round was well appreciated among the academic class from Greek antiquity but may have been degraded during the Dark Ages.
Just kidding: Is there a "Geno-centric theory of the Solar System"?

Reaction Score
Hope you’re right, but that’s a pretty big stretch imo. I suggest we temper our expectations for Dorka as well as the incoming freshmen until we see just how well they all mesh with the returning players.
Nothing is a sure thing, but evaluating everything it is obvious what is the greatest area of need for their championship aspirations, the front court.
The coaching staff obviously also feels this way and addressed it with getting a tested and proven big time quality front court transfer player.
Quotes from the coach after the transfer also confirms the need and how they felt was the best way to deal with it

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Nothing is a sure thing, but evaluating everything it is obvious what is the greatest area of need for their championship aspirations, the front court.
The coaching staff obviously also feels this way and addressed it with getting a tested and proven big time quality front court transfer player.
Quotes from the coach after the transfer also confirms the need and how they felt was the best way to deal with it
I have no problem with the coaching staff filling a perceived need. I just think stating that a player who has yet to play a minute in a UConn uniform is the difference in whether or not the Huskies win a championship next season, is a lot to place on Dorka’s shoulders at the present time. I would simply be happy with some quality minutes from her next year.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I believe that he championed Heliocentric theory (Sun at center of solar system). Earth as round was well appreciated among the academic class from Greek antiquity but may have been degraded during the Dark Ages.
The problem was Copernicus was at best not as strong willed as Galileo, or at worse, a frightened hypocrite. During his life he repeatedly championed the geocentric theory, but wrote a detailed exegesis on how in reality, the solar system was heliocentric. He feared, and perhaps (?) rightly so, the wrath of the Vatican. I believe on his death bed he allowed his heliocentric theory to be published. Galileo on the other hand, and with the support of the scientific community, stood his heliocentric ground, and suffered the consequences. Fortunately for him Urban VIII was a believer in the heliocentric model and denied the chorus of Cardinals howling for Galileo's head.

Yes, not only did the Greeks understand that the earth is a sphere, but Eratosthenes proved it by putting a stick in the ground. I would advise all of the flat earthers in the world to get off their intellectually lazy butts and try it.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The problem was Copernicus was at best not as strong willed as Galileo, or at worse, a frightened hypocrite. During his life he repeatedly championed the geocentric theory, but wrote a detailed exegesis on how in reality, the solar system was heliocentric. He feared, and perhaps (?) rightly so, the wrath of the Vatican. I believe on his death bed he allowed his heliocentric theory to be published. Galileo on the other hand, and with the support of the scientific community, stood his heliocentric ground, and suffered the consequences. Fortunately for him Urban VIII was a believer in the heliocentric model and denied the chorus of Cardinals howling for Galileo's head.

Yes, not only did the Greeks understand that the earth is a sphere, but Eratosthenes proved it by putting a stick in the ground.
I forgot who said that it is foolish to fight to the death scientific truths against Dogma since it will always be proven in the end.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
I think a lot of people here are forgetting one important thing in all this..
it is not easy to play basketball at Connecticut.. Though it would really be nice if the Young lady exceeds all expectations next year, Not everyone can handle the pressure of playing at our storied program, where attention to detail is expected.

Don't forget We've been here before, The addition of Azura Stevens, a big that could shoot the three, all of a sudden couldn't hit anything from that distance... Plus it's not like she's coming to us trending in the right direction with her outside shot, her 3pt shooting percentage took a big drop this year. Let's wait and see how it plays out.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
it is not easy to play basketball at Connecticut.. Though it would really be nice if the Young lady exceeds all expectations next year, Not everyone can handle the pressure of playing at our storied program, where attention to detail is expected.

Don't forget We've been here before, The addition of Azura Stevens, a big that could shoot the three, all of a sudden couldn't hit anything from that distance... Plus it's not like she's coming to us trending in the right direction with her outside shot, her 3pt shooting percentage took a big drop this year. Let's wait and see how it plays out.
It in not as if ONO is trending in the right direction in any aspect of her game either.

Reaction Score
Physics Students. Winners were aspirin manufacturers
Losers were inhabitants of Hiroshima & Nagasaki, Japan, as the Special relativity piece was that "matter was just congealed energy..." mass defect = strong nuclear force, etc. Winners were those who were able to build the cleanest energy on the planet: nuclear power plants!

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I have not been here very long(basically just this season), but wow you guys make up more fabricated controversy than Shaq, Lebron, or MJ.
Please tell me it didn't take you a whole season to come to this conclusion. I would have thought a week, two at the outside, would be enough. :cool:

After a full year you must realize every ref looks at Uconn crossways, every other team's coach uses secret words and eye blinks to throw shade at Uconn, there isn't an honest columnist or podcaster around who actually gives Uconn and Geno the reverence they deserve, and ESPN hates whatever conference Uconn is affiliated with (you have noticed that their logo which many see as red (read Cardinal) also has a suspicious orange tint to it - wink, wink), and most of the moderators on this board actually live south of the Mason Dixon line. :rolleyes::eek:?

Reaction Score

Please keep in mind that DJ was positive for COVID-19 in the middle of the season, which could fully explain the drop in her accuracy. No telling what the mental anguish combined with physical lingering effects were when she returned.
In MHO, please "cut her some slack" and provide positive encouragement. She is a Huskie that is willing to work hard, and was impressed by Geno being the front man on her recruiting after she entered the transfer portal.

If you are interested in reverse psychology, "WE'RE DOOMED!!!" Happy now? ; )

Reaction Score
I'm running out of "That's a Stretch" meme's. Correct me if I'm wrong, hasn't this team reached the final four? From what I hear there's another great recruiting class coming in also. I also have to believe everyone returning "should improve" from this past season. Dorka is a good pickup for Geno, for sure it will bolster the post position but to say she's the difference of winning a Natty and not...to me is a stretch.

I Dont Think So Yeah Right GIF by Jason Clarke

I agree in that there is no assurances in basketball to start a season that a team is a lock to win it all. Also, I'm with you 100% on getting to a FF is a terrific accomplishment.

However, unless you're speaking of posters absolute assurances of winning it all- I don't understand why you would think it's a stretch that this move couldn't help UCONN win it all. They were close this year, weren't they? And you think Dorka is a good player, so why couldn't this move help them win it all?

By the way, in another thread I had mentioned in 18-19 Jorka was more efficient shooting 3's than 2's. You replied to me that Jorka shot over 51% from 2 and 39.6% from three. Well the 39.6% is more efficient. When a player shoots 5-10 from the floor shooting only 2's. that player scores 10 points. When a player shoots 4-10 but only takes 3's that's 12 points. So the player that took all the 3's took the same number of shots as the player who took all the 2's but scored two more points. When she takes the same number of shots as the other player but scores more- it means she is a more efficient scorer.

I don't understand why anyone would question this move UCONN has made (not saying you are). And if there was podcast in which someone is saying this move "doesn't make sense," I don't feel this person is should be talking basketball and needs to follow a new sport. It may not work out - which you and maybe other suggest sure-- but specifically regarding what the OP heard - to me it's mind-boggling how anyone can say this move "doesn't make sense."

Reaction Score
you may be one of the folks that consider her a bust but I certainly don't...........she's never going to be a physical low post banger like Charli Collier or Boston but if she played 30 plus minutes per game her numbers would be as good as any post player in the nation..........defensively she has been very good and her passing and screening on the offensive end are first rate.............it's her finishing at the basket against stronger opponents that's her major issue and what the coaches should be working on this summer.........and yes she needs to develop more confidence and aggression but she's come a long way in my opinion..............as I said in an earlier post. UConn shouldn't need her to score all that much next season with Fudd adding 15-20 points per game but I bet we see ONO and Edwards both get more open chances as defenses are stretched against the outside shooting barrage coming their way........BTW I can envision ONO and DJ playing at the same time just as Edwards and ONO did this past season.....

Liv is a talented, good player. But Liv is not a scorer. Just like Stokes wasn't. Yes - you can "get by." But what's wrong with also trying to do better by giving Liv less minutes (let her start) but maybe she can play more aggressive in lesser minutes rather than worry about foul trouble for example? And isn't it possible Jorka's offense can possibly make it easier for Paige and Azzi and CWill while her defense is good enough?

Her major issues are more than just low post. She can't shoot the basketball either. Her faceup game is non-existent between shooting and putting the ball on the floor in a faceup. In regards to being a triple-threat she only does one of the 3 things well. And her ft shooting is bad. These are all major issues, not just low post.

In terms of offense with Azzi and Paige- the lane will be more open but what if the 19-20 year olds- have a tough go of it it one big game? Unless you think every single team and every single game no team has a chance to beat them? That wasn't what you were saying a month or so ago when you were reminding me how tough SC was.

You don't think Geno will ever need 5 scorers on the court next year in a big game? Jorka is a bit of scorer from what I've read. As long as she can pass - isn't a team stronger if they do multiple things as long as they are very good at multiple things? Sometimes "Liv's picks" might not be enough.

Reaction Score
I just recently listened to a UConn WBB podcast where the male host said that the acquiring of Dorka Juhasz didn't make any sense to him. Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion but how does acquiring more talent not make sense? How does having the deepest roster you can have not make sense? How does creating intense competition not make sense?
Not to mention the fact when you look over the landscape of wcbb next season the teams that can stand in UConn' way of winning a NC...Stanford, SoCarolina, Baylor just to name 3 all have imposing size... So adding a 6'4 experienced, all conf player actually makes a ton of sense. Good job Geno! I guess anyone can have a podcast these days!
Having a difference of opinion than you does not make it a bad podcast. There a few BYers who also questioned why Geno would add another player, albeit a post player, when the roster will grow to 14 next season. IMO it just makes for good commentary by being the contrarian opinion.

Last edited:

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Strong post holistically, diggerfoot, though you contradicted yourself re: UConn transfer Evina Westbrook
I can see how that appears contradictory, though Westbrook is the present; I consider Hunter to be more of a contradiction to my claim from the past. Also, next year will be Westbrook’s third year with the program, three years is long enough to work out the kinks in chemistry, the normal advantage of stable rosters.

Reaction Score
Liv is a talented, good player. But Liv is not a scorer. Just like Stokes wasn't. Yes - you can "get by." But what's wrong with also trying to do better by giving Liv less minutes (let her start) but maybe she can play more aggressive in lesser minutes rather than worry about foul trouble for example? And isn't it possible Jorka's offense can possibly make it easier for Paige and Azzi and CWill while her defense is good enough?

Her major issues are more than just low post. She can't shoot the basketball either. Her faceup game is non-existent between shooting and putting the ball on the floor in a faceup. In regards to being a triple-threat she only does one of the 3 things well. And her ft shooting is bad. These are all major issues, not just low post.

In terms of offense with Azzi and Paige- the lane will be more open but what if the 19-20 year olds- have a tough go of it it one big game? Unless you think every single team and every single game no team has a chance to beat them? That wasn't what you were saying a month or so ago when you were reminding me how tough SC was.

You don't think Geno will ever need 5 scorers on the court next year in a big game? Jorka is a bit of scorer from what I've read. As long as she can pass - isn't a team stronger if they do multiple things as long as they are very good at multiple things? Sometimes "Liv's picks" might not be enough.
I'm in agreement with you.............DJ's addition should allow ONO to play harder and more aggressively........ONO did average 12/8/3 this season and shot around .570 from the floor in 26 minutes per game.......those are pretty respectable numbers for a player that much of the BY wants to bench.........

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm in agreement with you.............DJ's addition should allow ONO to play harder and more aggressively........ONO did average 12/8/3 this season and shot around .570 from the floor in 26 minutes per game.......those are pretty respectable numbers for a player that much of the BY wants to bench.........
Don't even try and pin this on the BY! Geno is the one that squarely put this out there probably because he got tired of waiting for improvement from ONO.

" I could see her (Aaliyah) next year getting the bulk of the touches among all of the post players. I have incredibly high expectations for Aaliyah, and for where she's going in the future. And Liv is going to be a senior. If Liv stays the same, then it’s obviously going to be a difficult senior year for Liv.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I would simply be happy with some quality minutes from her next year.
I'm pretty sure she wouldn't. She took this challenge to compete for a title while showing what she can do. Don't worry about the "pressure" on her, she isn't. She's a grown-up.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Losers were inhabitants of Hiroshima & Nagasaki, Japan, as the Special relativity piece was that "matter was just congealed energy..." mass defect = strong nuclear force, etc. Winners were those who were able to build the cleanest energy on the planet: nuclear power plants!
Discounting Chernobyl, of course.

Reaction Score
I cannot think of a transfer that has helped our chemistry in the past, though I would say that happened with Shepherd and Notre Dame. Fortunately we already have “chemistry magnets” in Bueckers and Westbrook.

agree about the appeal of uconn basketball, but am confused by this - wasn't westbrook a transfer ??

Reaction Score
as i have mentioned in the past, ono is someone who is good at basketball mainly because she is tall, while ae is someone who would be good at basketball regardless of her height. effort and skills count. if all dj does is push ono to become a better player, that is success, but i think that ono had better improve quite a bit or her minutes are going to go to others in this ever improving team...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom